-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So...over the last 10 years I have aged about 10 years (surprise.). Mostly it means nothing as far as I feel from day to day, but where my vision is concerned it's a different story.

I started out with cheaper El Paso Weavers (the factory was about four miles from where I grew up), a Tasco or two, and maybe a cheap Bushnell or Simmons once. As I became more affluent I began to buy Leupolds exclusively. I always found the optics to be very user friendly and clear. Over the years I have lost confidence in Leupold rifle scopes and sold them off (even though I intend to hang on to my VX-5s) and tried a few others. A few that simply have not worked well at all for me are:

Zeiss Conquest HD 3-15x (I may have the model name a bit screwed up but I think most will know what I mean)

SWFA 20x

Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50mm

My first SWFA 20x fell apart on the shooting becnh, and SWFA sent me a new one post haste. Unfortunately, I couldn't see through that sonovabitch to save my life. It even distorted COLOR (to my eyes). Swapped the new 20x for a 10x and I'm good to go with that one.

The Zeiss gave me problems getting parallax and reticle focus set correctly at the same time...I know you focus the ocular on the reticle first, then fiddle with parallax (in theory). I just could not get a good parallax setting and reticle/image focus at the same time.

The Burris, pretty much the same as the Zeiss. At first it seemed to work okay for me, though the image quality at full magnification was somewhat diminished in comparison to my long gone VX-3 6.5-20Xs. I could still aim effectively. But over a few months time, I'm experiencing the same crap the Zeiss gave me. Ocular focus screws with parallax, and parallax adjustment screws with ocular focus. They interact, where I think they should not.

I purchased a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50mm SFP scope the other day and took it outside to play with and see how it does. I actually think it's going to work for me, but I thought the same thing about the Burris when I got it (actually, I have FOUR of them and intend to sell them here soon). I got rid of all my VX-3 6.5-20Xs about a year ago so I don't have one to compare anymore, but it seems to be about the same except for a little "grayer" image at full mag.

I just don't know whether this steadily shifting perception thing will continue to change indefinitely, or I can settle in to a brand (Sightron is looking pretty decent, and especially for the price). I have five or six of the S-II 3-9x42s and one of the 4-20x50 S-TACs at this point in time and I lke them. For now, at least.

Anyone else (gots ta be an old bastard like me) go through this crap?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Time to go see your Ophthalmologist!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Already have, only six months ago.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm having to play the same game. I have a SWFA 6x waiting on a utility AR build, if my friggin KE Arms "What Would Stoner Do" polymer lower ever ships. Never tried that scope before but I'm hoping that reticle will play nice with my eyes. Also have a SWFA 10x to go on a bolt gun.

For whatever reason the reticles in the early Sightron SII 3-9s (screwdriver slots for adjustments) look a lot clearer to my eyes than the later ones with thumb adjustments. Have no idea why. Deteriorating eyesight sucks.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
56 here, light prescription now w bifocals.
Cant wear glasses to shoot. Battle getting scopes set up anymore and even when done things ain't perfect like they used to be.

My dad went through rhis yrs ago, had optometrist make a lens that went into a rubber cup, slid on back of his rifle scope.

He said he could shoot ok with it.
Til one day it popped off in the car and he didnt know what it was and tossed it lol.
Think he had it a couple yrs before the oops.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It sure does. Hard to know which way to turn.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
River Rider,

I may be reading what your saying wrong, but I think you may not be adjusting your scopes properly.

If so try this:

Step 1: Set your parallax knob to infinity.
Step 2: If you using a variable set to the highest power.
Step 3: Take it outside and point it up to a clear blue sky.
Step 4: Now adjust your ocular focus until your reticle (not the sky) is sharp.

Your now done. Shoot it at range to verify and stop fiddling with the dang ocular, adjust only your parallax knob and zoom as necessary for the range your shooting.

And don't rely on the ranges marked on the knob, those are often off a bit.

I'll be 70 in 4 weeks and that's what works for me with any parallax adjusting scope .

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
56 here, light prescription now w bifocals.
Cant wear glasses to shoot. Battle getting scopes set up anymore and even when done things ain't perfect like they used to be.

My dad went through rhis yrs ago, had optometrist make a lens that went into a rubber cup, slid on back of his rifle scope.

He said he could shoot ok with it.
Til one day it popped off in the car and he didnt know what it was and tossed it lol.
Think he had it a couple yrs before the oops.

I made a choice early on when I first started wearing glasses...I use them to shoot handguns because they help me to see the front sight (progressive lenses), but I take them off to shoot a scoped rifle.

How I wish I could see like I could when I was 40!

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shadow
River Rider,

I may be reading what your saying wrong, but I think you may not be adjusting your scopes properly.

If so try this:

Step 1: Set your parallax knob to infinity.
Step 2: If you using a variable set to the highest power.
Step 3: Take it outside and point it up to a clear blue sky.
Step 4: Now adjust your ocular focus until your reticle (not the sky) is sharp.

Your now done. Shoot it at range to verify and stop fiddling with the dang ocular, adjust only your parallax knob and zoom as necessary for the range your shooting.

And don't rely on the ranges marked on the knob, those are often off a bit.

I'll be 70 in 4 weeks and that's what works for me with any parallax adjusting scope .

The ocular is used to focus on the reticle and the focal plane it is in. The parallax adjustment should have NO influence on the focus on the reticle, and it does not. The problem I encounter is that when I can determine that parallax has been eliminated by adjustment, the image of the target is way out of focus. THAT is not right...I never had that problem with Leupold scopes, but the Zeiss and some Burris behave that way.

I know how to use my optics. Some just do not work right for my vision and THAT is what I do not understand.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sorry that you do not understand. Of course your parallax adjustment has no influence on the reticle. But if you adjust your reticle at a parallax setting at say 100 yds, or closer your target will be out of focus at all other ranges, as you adjust the parallax knob to that range. And the parallax knob can't fix the problem you created with the ocular.

But if you adjust your reticle the way I suggested your reticle will be in focus at all ranges, and you use the parallax knob to only focus your target. Since it costs you nothing to try this to fix your problem, why don't you give it a go instead of just proclaiming you know how to use your optics.

I should note that SFP scopes, like your old Leupolds, are usually much more forgiving, than FFP scopes and fixed power scopes.

What do you have to lose. If it doesn't work, then I was wrong and you can crow all about it, and you've lost nothing but a few minutes of time......

Last edited by Shadow; 10/16/20. Reason: clarity
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have noticed my vision can change during the day or change from day to day. Doc said fatigue is a biggie.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to varmint hunt, liked AO.
But never really trusted the numbers on the dial. Let focus tell me what I needed. Close to the numbers, but not exact.

Shot good groups and killed stuff but honestly, never dialed to remove parallax, as I never paid attention to it. Didnt test for it either.

I just assumed the scope had it for a reason, focused w the AO and let er rip.

Dunno if blissfully ignorant, good eyes and repeatable form or just half assed it and got lucky a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shadow
I'm sorry that you do not understand. Of course your parallax adjustment has no influence on the reticle. But if you adjust your reticle at a parallax setting at say 100 yds, or closer your target will be out of focus at all other ranges, as you adjust the parallax knob to that range. And the parallax knob can't fix the problem you created with the ocular.

But if you adjust your reticle the way I suggested your reticle will be in focus at all ranges, and you use the parallax knob to only focus your target. Since it costs you nothing to try this to fix your problem, why don't you give it a go instead of just proclaiming you know how to use your optics.

I should note that SFP scopes, like your old Leupolds, are usually much more forgiving, than FFP scopes and fixed power scopes.

What do you have to lose. If it doesn't work, then I was wrong and you can crow all about it, and you've lost nothing but a few minutes of time......

I DO understand and I know how it works. The ocular is adjusted to bring the reticle into focus. The parallax/objective adjustment brings the desired target's image (and everything in view that is at that same range) into the same focal plane as the reticle, thereby bringing it into focus also. Are you sure that YOU understand?

What I have encountered so many times is that after all that is done, I can see that the parallax has not actually been negated. I had a B&L Elite 3000 in the mid-90s that acted like that, and in those days my vision was 20/20 or better with no distance limitations that mattered. Later, it was the Zeiss HD I tried, and now these Burris Fullfield IIs. I couldn't get an SWFA 20x to give me a focused reticle and target without apparent parallax simultaneously to save my life. The 10x I swapped for is much easier for me to use.

Originally Posted by hookeye
I have noticed my vision can change during the day or change from day to day. Doc said fatigue is a biggie.

I think that may well be what I am fighting. I know that getting the ocular focused on the reticle initially can take multiple attempts, and it seems like that is much more difficult than it used to be...it seems like my eye very quickly strains to force the reticle into focus. I hear you on the day-by-day thing, too. Some days I seem to be able to see better than others.

I probably ought to dig into the safe to see how well focused the scopes are on some rifles I haven't shot in a couple of years. That might be revealing.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 20X Fixed Fhuqker is horrible,under the best of conditions. As magnification goes down in the lineage,IQ goes up. Hint.

Parallax/image focus,fhuqks ALOTTA folks up. Most fhuqk up the ocular's diopter for the crosshairs,by staring and adjusting,at less than infinity. Once an ocular is set correctly,it's stays there,until your eyeschange. Hint.

It is a COMMON misconception,for guys to "think" that image focus is parallax,which of course it is not. Focus is focus and parallax is something that needs Stevie Wonder'd,ala cranial shuck & jive. Often on side focus parallax,it is possible to "zero" the parallax suggestion scale's turret,to your actual. No matter whether side focus,rear or objective,parallax settings are at the rifle's zero,so it is in an obvious nudge to give correction to same a thunk,when dealing business either side of same. Hint.

Not all glass can arrange focus,with the elimination of parallax and when fraught with same,I'll swipe a bit from each and meet in the middle,as a worst case scenario.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been fighting the same issue with a Zeiss hd5 3-15 with the adjustable target turrets.
Side focus adjustment is maxed out around 250 yds , and can’t bring target into clear focus much past 350 yds.
I picked up this scope used a couple of years ago . I noticed this issue a little then , but the problem seems to have gotten worse.
Is it the scope or my eyes ? Some of both probably , but I think the scope mainly.
I like everything else about the scope. The reticle is one of the best I’ve had , the turrets are accurate , and repeatable, and 1000 rds of 300 wsm hasn’t phased it yet.

I was going to send it in to Zeiss , but turnaround times are not very good right now . With a elk hunt coming up in 6 weeks I’ll just wait and send it in afterwards .
When I talked to them I got the standard lip service response of “ you might try loosening your rings . They could be binding up focus mechanisms.

Thought for awhile I had a isolated problem , but have since heard of several others with same issues .

The side focus on my MC 4.5-14 works much better , and I believe the glass is just as good if not slightly better than the hd5 .
I just don’t like the reticle as well .

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RiverRider
So...over the last 10 years I have aged about 10 years (surprise.). Mostly it means nothing as far as I feel from day to day, but where my vision is concerned it's a different story.

I started out with cheaper El Paso Weavers (the factory was about four miles from where I grew up), a Tasco or two, and maybe a cheap Bushnell or Simmons once. As I became more affluent I began to buy Leupolds exclusively. I always found the optics to be very user friendly and clear. Over the years I have lost confidence in Leupold rifle scopes and sold them off (even though I intend to hang on to my VX-5s) and tried a few others. A few that simply have not worked well at all for me are:

Zeiss Conquest HD 3-15x (I may have the model name a bit screwed up but I think most will know what I mean)

SWFA 20x

Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50mm E1

My first SWFA 20x fell apart on the shooting becnh, and SWFA sent me a new one post haste. Unfortunately, I couldn't see through that sonovabitch to save my life. It even distorted COLOR (to my eyes). Swapped the new 20x for a 10x and I'm good to go with that one.

The Zeiss gave me problems getting parallax and reticle focus set correctly at the same time...I know you focus the ocular on the reticle first, then fiddle with parallax (in theory). I just could not get a good parallax setting and reticle/image focus at the same time.

The Burris, pretty much the same as the Zeiss. At first it seemed to work okay for me, though the image quality at full magnification was somewhat diminished in comparison to my long gone VX-3 6.5-20Xs. I could still aim effectively. But over a few months time, I'm experiencing the same crap the Zeiss gave me. Ocular focus screws with parallax, and parallax adjustment screws with ocular focus. They interact, where I think they should not.

I purchased a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50mm SFP scope the other day and took it outside to play with and see how it does. I actually think it's going to work for me, but I thought the same thing about the Burris when I got it (actually, I have FOUR of them and intend to sell them here soon). I got rid of all my VX-3 6.5-20Xs about a year ago so I don't have one to compare anymore, but it seems to be about the same except for a little "grayer" image at full mag.

I just don't know whether this steadily shifting perception thing will continue to change indefinitely, or I can settle in to a brand (Sightron is looking pretty decent, and especially for the price). I have five or six of the S-II 3-9x42s and one of the 4-20x50 S-TACs at this point in time and I lke them. For now, at least.

Anyone else (gots ta be an old bastard like me) go through this crap?

Can you tell us a little bit about your vision? Glasses? bifocals?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't wear my glasses when I shoot a scoped rifle. They're progressive lenses, and the first time I tried looking through a scope wearing them led me to that decision easily and quickly.

I'll probably need cataract surgery in the next few years and I expect big changes as a result. Hopefully the changes will be for the better.

Don't be the darkness.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
One source of varying clarity is head position. With glasses your best vision is through the sweet spot directly in front of your pupil. The worse your eyes the more critical it becomes to look directly through that sweet spot. The way most normally rest their head on the stock will put you looking through the extreme upper inside edge of the lens. Raising your scope to a higher ring helps with being able to get your face more square to the scope lens.

Its a funky deal if your eyes are very bad.

Another source is the prescription. An ophthalmologist who is also good at optics can make a prescription that works better with scope reticles. This isn't the same as general purpose lens. These fellas are hard to find nowadays. Many eye docs rely on technicians and opticians to do their prescriptions for them. Shop around for a fellow shooter.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,274 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.