Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
[Linked Image]

I have this one on hold at Griffin & Howe until Monday morning at which time one of the gunsmiths is going to pull the barreled action out of the stock to check for additional identifying markings.

Can anybody help with the makers identification?

To my eye it has the makings of a Joe Balickie rifle.

What appears to be a discoloration at the top of the butt is actually part of the checkering pattern.

Skeleton grip cap, the island swivel studs look like Balickie.

Thoughts?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Interesting! Perhaps no opportunity for more, better-detailed photos? I've edited and better lightened, but didn't help much. Below. Your narrative reference "additional nomenclature", but no reference to what such is! Hope whatever further under-barrel nomenclature, helps. Just now, simply a very generic presumed Mauser 98, narrowing possibilities to... perhaps 50 million +/-! smile Information concerning scope mounts sometimes helps peg 'era'. Just now, your hands-on estimation likely far superior to any other WAGs!

Best & Keep Safe!
John

Last edited by iskra; 10/16/20.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
According to G&H CNN is stamped on the barrel. Assume that is a Mauser marking?

Should also mention the rife is a G33/40.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
According to G&H CNN is stamped on the barrel. Assume that is a Mauser marking?

Should also mention the rife is a G33/40.

I think the G33/40 was always in 8x57 so that probably wouldn’t be a Mauser marking.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Okie.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
No problem.

I've seen a lot of rifles like this one on the market in the last few years--as elegant and graceful as a Biesen or Fisher and with all of the whistles and bells--but nobody knows who made them. They sell for half of what a rifle by the masters would bring.

My concern with any older 7x57 is that it might be throated for 175-grain RN bullets. They're getting hard to find these days and those rifles don't always shoot lighter, pointed bullets well.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I would venture to guess the rifle is newer and properly throated based upon what appears might be Blackburn bottom metal.

In the event the rifle is not marked with further provenance I will need to make a decision Monday on whether or not to purchase.

I'm hoping to do so somewhat better informed.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My thought is buy it!

That is one sweet looking rifle.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Can’t see many details from the two pictures you posted but the nose of the cheekpiece and comb looks much like some Clayton Nelson did in the mid 1970’s.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NY, I looked at a few photos of his work. The pistol grip is close, the cheekpiece of course is a griffin and Howe style. That could have been requested by the builder. Of course other guys did that molding for the sling studs.

I'm a rank amatuer when it comes to recognizing gunsmith artist.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Rin, 1911.

The rifle is exactly what I'm looking for in a 7x57.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very attractive rifle there!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Look for a picture of Jim Carmichael’s Nelson M70 280 and you will see the similarities.

I missed post about the CNN stamping on the barrel. Want to wager? I was only looking at the shape of the cheekpiece. Incidentally, in is most definitely not a G & H style. Theirs were pretty massive and not graceful.

Last edited by RinB; 10/18/20.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you buy it, please let us know what you discover. I'm curious.

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Heard from G&H.

The rifle has no further identifying marks or provenance.

However Nelson's middle name began with the letter N.

Based upon Rick's input and the CNN marking I am going to purchase this rifle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

When you get it, please send some pictures showing details. Usually you will have three days to consider.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That is gorgeous.

RinB ... I appreciate your presence and wealth of knowledge on this forum. Tip of the ol’ hat to you.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Rick steered me away from a 7x57 Mauser NECG had advertised. Goens stock, but had been rebarreled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RinB

Can’t see many details from the two pictures you posted but the nose of the cheekpiece and comb looks much like some Clayton Nelson did in the mid 1970’s.

I remember the Nelson stocks but could not come up with the name. Good call!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Well.... Waiting to see how all worked out today. Didn't want before to remark. Generic mausers needing close observation for clues. I've seen Spanish mfg mausers done up quite nicely... But wouldn't personally want one. Such or Chinese mfg. The odds are it will be an OK mfg... German, Belgian, Austrian, Polish, Romanian, etc. as far as 'pinging' on action origin from chambering... In sporter only perhaps 'presumption' of original action barrel originality combo. Scrubbed actions are wildcards. Quality of sporter stocks also not 'positives'. Those swapped too! I've got a few mostly scrubbed sporters. Absolutely nice guns. Good knowledge of military mausers (mine only mediocre) and examination for 'clues', the best situation short of receiving one with authoritative ID included.

Good luck, NY... Applauding your appreciation of the 7x57! Hope you'll return with multi, quality pix of your prize!
Best & stay safe!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

577 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.