Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
This email and video was sent to me by a good friend who lives in the PNW. After watching it, I wanted to share it here.

Every year, since 9/11, Chris Sneed (aka "Flash") climbs the craggy peak on Hwy 50 between Spooner Summit and Carson City, Nevada, to replace the tattered, worn-out American Flag which flies to honor our troops. In 2020, Rick Bernagozzi happened to be passing by as it was getting ready to happen and stopped to grab some shots and assembled this unexpected video. Given all the turmoil of 2020, it was an emotional moment. Thanks to Mr. Coffey Anderson for permission to use his song which seemed to fit the subject well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmJZkATAMg

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Excellent!

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
LIKE, Thanks for posting.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That is worth the watch. Thanks for the link.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool...... Except I wanted to be able to hear that piper.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Awesome!

Thanks for posting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 22250rem

They sound like someone mistreating a cat.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agree.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020

Agree.

kwg

Are pipers common in American military culture?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seldom a police funeral without pipers down here, appropriated culture? Perhaps. But keep in mind, the original 13 colonies had a fair share of Scots-Irish immigrants, some say 200,000 or so.
The military? Clearly appropriated, but only meant as an honor to respect the courage and sheer grit of the Scots-Irish as warriors. If English military history tells us anything at all...when things went to schidt for the Brits, the first thing said was, "Send in the Scots". Mimicry is the highest form of flattery.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Awesome!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Seldom a police funeral without pipers down here, appropriated culture? Perhaps. But keep in mind, the original 13 colonies had a fair share of Scots-Irish immigrants, some say 200,000 or so.
The military? Clearly appropriated, but only meant as an honor to respect the courage and sheer grit of the Scots-Irish as warriors. If English military history tells us anything at all...when things went to schidt for the Brits, the first thing said was, "Send in the Scots". Mimicry is the highest form of flattery.

I'm surprised at the use of pipers in the US given it's historic disassociation with the British. I guess the Scots and Irish faired better in US military culture.

Here in Canada, the pipes are very common at military functions and similar events given our long history with the British. We still recognize the monarchy, be it symbolic nonetheless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Below

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/17/20.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just a little ways up from Carson City. I love seeing it every time I go up Spooner.

I keep mine flying 24/7 at my campsite in the sierras and have a solar powered light shining on it at night.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pass by The Flag at least once a year.

The rest of the story

Those of us who were alive remember where they were and what they were doing when they saw or heard of the first planes fly into the towers in New York City on September 11, 2001.
Chris Sneed was working in Incline Village on a pipe replacement project for Granite Construction on Lakeshore Boulevard on 9-11-01. He needed a part and ran into Spitsen Lumber. He was in line and saw the store's 12" television showing a plane hit the first tower, and then the second tower.
"I said to myself, this is not good," says Chris. "I knew then that everything about all of our lives was about to change."
As he turned to leave the store he saw some flags by the door and bought two of them. The crew closed up the job site for the day and headed home to their families.
As Chris was heading home to Carson City he saw a big rock formation off US50, one he'd passed often, and decided to climb it. Chris had been rock climbing since the age of 15 and knew then and there he had to climb.
"I took a moment, stopped, climbed up and put one of the flags from Spitsen in a crevice in the rock," said Chris.
The next day, back on the job, Chris's coworkers said to him, 'Hey, did you see that flag on the highway?'. When he told them he did it, Chris said they appreciated it, and that it was awesome.
He made the display more permanent and bought a bigger flag, the type made for homes with the hollow tube holders. That turned out to not be strong enough and had to replace it a few times.
Chris later worked for South Tahoe Public Utility District and custom built a flag holder with a steel pole to fit in a crack up on the rock. Since then he said he doesn't have to tend to it very often and only once has it blown down in all the years since its placement.
Now, every year, a ceremony is held to replace the flag.
"I don't feel right about celebrating 9-11," said Chris. "I decided to replace the flag on the eve of 9-11, a new flag and a new beginning each year. When everyone goes to work, its new."
On September 10, 2020, Chris once again climbed up the rock to replace the flag. Several people were waiting at nearby turnout off the highway as they do every year. Some members of his motorcycle club, the Henchmen, drove over six hours to be there for the moment, along with several from South Lake Tahoe.
Chris tended to the flags on the rock anonymously for years. It is on private property and he has permission of the land owner. When a nearby cross on the highway for Krystal Steadman (a local girl murdered in 2000 whose body was dumped on US50), Chris didn't want the flag taken too so he went public with the 9-11 flag story.
During the 2020 ceremony, a person donated four solar lights to be placed by the flag. Chris was up on the rock Friday, installing them in the same fashion he did the flag...nothing disturbed and using what is already there to hold them in place.
A 1988 South Tahoe High graduate, Sneed now lives in Sparks. He said next year's flag changing ceremony will be a big deal. He had his dad's military name tag from Vietnam sewn into the corner. In 2021, Marine guards will be there and hand the flag to his sister who will be traveling out for the flag changing ceremony. Nevada Department of Transportation is already working on the lane closure for the 5:30 p.m. event.
"If nothing else, when 9-11 happened it brought the nation together, the only positive thing to happen," said Chris.
He is now working to keep that energy going through the flag.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by luv2safari
This is just a little ways up from Carson City. I love seeing it every time I go up Spooner.

Embarrased to never seeing it. Is it just west of the 395- spooner pass intersection, and assuming it's on the north side of 50?

We usually use spooner to get to Sportsmans in CC, road crews have the main drag torn up last I was up there ~ 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for the story, very cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Embarrased to never seeing it. Is it just west of the 395- spooner pass intersection, and assuming it's on the north side of 50?

We usually use spooner to get to Sportsmans in CC, road crews have the main drag torn up last I was up there ~ 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for the story, very cool.

It's on the south side about 1/3 the way up Spooner, on the left going up and right going down.

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/17/20.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks

I'll look for it on my next trip to Carson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.