Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If you decide to use the powder method, assure it’s all down against the breech. Even with only five or ten grains you still have the chance of ringing the barrel if its only partially down. I have shot many a broken ramrod out of a barrel.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have shot out a stuck rod with a few grains of powder. That sucker went 50 maybe even 75 yards into the air. I bought a fiberglass rod after that.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Compressed air first, then if that doesn't work do the powder through the nipple hole trick. Unless there's a tightly patched ball stuck in there, there won't be a tight enough seal to use the grease gun. The grease will just flow around the cleaning patch and make a big mess. 4-F flintlock priming powder would work best, but 3F can be worked into the nipple hole with a toothpick or an ice pick.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Cleaning my old TC Hawken, the fourth patch the jag and patch stuck, hard, at the bottom. Was giving the ramrod hell pulling trying to get it out and “WHACK” it breaks off a couple inches down from the muzzle. Can get ahold of it and even if I could it’s stuck like a bitch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ha ha! what a [bleep]' dumbass. God damn, you just can't make this [bleep] up.

Obviously you have have years of experience having a ramrod stuck in your breech. Nov. 3rd you’re gonna have trumps ramrod stuck in your breech. Be sure to take a selfie and post it for me when they call the election for Trump (again) LOL!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The man that I worked for back in the 1970's, drilling house wells had a tool made to pull wooden sucker rods out of a well. Just a piece of pipe with V's sawn with the point of the V toward the pullling end. They were then bent a little into the pipe so that when it was driven over the sucker rod and then pulled back, the points dug in. He had a lot of home made tools that worked great. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Miles. Where ya been? I haven't seen you around of late.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Chinese finger puller over the rod holder... you can get them at Home Depot in the elect section, they use them over cable to pull it through conduit.

The grease gun things should work too... BUT the flash hole is usually a bit off the bottom so depending how far down your jig is that may not work well.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm glad that you got it out easily. I hope you have some degreaser.

You could try a can of compressed air to clean out the grease. You may just need to run a carbon fiber rod down it without a jag on it a few times and then start running patches.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Couple more Bud lites and it all becomes clear.

Voice of Experience

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Cut the barrel off below the jag.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Compressed air first if you have it or just a rod like tater said if you don't. Then maybe fill the barrel partially with some solvent like kerosene or diesel and shake it back and forth with the holes plugged and pour out. Then swab it out with patches. Maybe shoot the flash channel with carb or brake cleaner (protect your eyes).

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by cra1948
Cut the barrel off below the jag.

I was about too til I checked eBay and saw used barrels were going for $300. I think I paid $80 cash for it at a gun show a couple years after they made it legal to hunt with inline’s and scopes here.
Bought the .50 hawken, a .50 renegade and a .50 treehawk for $350.00. Sold the renegade and treehawk Like an idiot....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A little bit of priming powder.
Bloooop. Finding it might suck.

Done that years ago with my BIL’s smokepole. Used a sandbox to catch the jag.
No problem at all, just dug it right out.
Never heard of using a Zerk fitting to pump one out with grease, but I don’t doubt it works
I think 10 grains of priming powder would make an easier cleanup.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Cleaning my old TC Hawken, the fourth patch the jag and patch stuck, hard, at the bottom. Was giving the ramrod hell pulling trying to get it out and “WHACK” it breaks off a couple inches down from the muzzle. Can get ahold of it and even if I could it’s stuck like a bitch.

Yeah, almost as stupid as believing you could keep ur dr and save .......

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well, since the grease worked - I'd think that putting the barrel in the rays of a heat lamp - with the muzzle down in a pan - would melt the majority out of there.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tater74
I'm glad that you got it out easily. I hope you have some degreaser.

You could try a can of compressed air to clean out the grease. You may just need to run a carbon fiber rod down it without a jag on it a few times and then start running patches.

[quote=tater74]

I filled it full of gunk engine degreaser. Go at it in the morning.
Thanks for everyone’s input. Learned a lot.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Read the directions on the can of Gunk, and see what the maximum soak / exposure time is. You might not be able to leave it soaking overnight without destroying the barrel.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Plug the nipple hole and fill the barrel with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Boiling water in the morning.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Prob’ly you ain’t fired muzzleloader much, stuff getting stuck is sorta common when you’re shoving stuff down a blind-ended tube.

I don’t clean with a wooden ramrod, they can break.

Shoving an insufficiently lubed or dry tight-fitting patch down the barrel will stick at the breech most every time, even in a clean barrel. I have found pouring a little water down the barrel unsticks a stuck patch most every time.

Pro 'ly you'd be wrong, and I've had things stick a little, but busting off ramrod takes talent in the stupids department.

Never stuck anything in a clean barrel. Doubt you have either, you just thought it was clean but it rusted because you were wrong.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.