Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, my previous shopping around and what I thought I was after turned into a really good deal on a Rhino 450, from an acquaintance. He was good on basic maintenance (oil and filter changes, etc) but not into mechanic work deeper than that. He was the 2nd owner, buying the Rhino from his line company, as it mostly sat around the shop in lieu of other vehicles. End result was that he thought he had a 2003/2004, but VIN seems to indicate 2008, and I don’t think 450s existed before 2006, anyway....so, I got a newer UTV, regardless. Still has original tires, and you can’t see any wear. Other than having sat outdoors a lot with it’s first owners, I can’t find much to fault with getting the Rhino and a 6x12 tilt for what I did.

I’m familiar with the Yamaha 450 motor and diff, from my previous Yamaha ATVs. I’m not familiar with many Rhino nuances. I’m hoping some can chime in on that. I do need a roof, windshield, double check that sway bar is gone and spacers added/recall done (I think), and look at ways to mitigate some noise from the air box and muffler. Maybe a rear jump seat for the occasional extra body.

Suggestions and insights appreciated.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a 660 Rhino, and while our engines are different, the Rhinos are fairly similar.

I found Yamaha products to be generally very good. They have high consumer ratings. About like Honda. Higher than most other brands.

I find mine noisy. Engine noise, especially when going fast. It’s hard to have a conversation with a passenger.

Windshields are a pro and con situation. Helps with the wind and rain but attract dust and make vision not as good. And they scratch easily as they are plastic so over time get harder to see through.

Adding a roof is all upsides in my book.

Mine has offset rims because that’s the way I bought it. Previous owner (my mechanic brother in law - BIL) didn’t like spacers but wanted a wider stance on the Rhino for safety.

BIL installed a stereo. I find the Rhino so noisy that I can’t hear the stereo and never use it. Unless I am parked and drinking a beverage.

Your older tires might be a concern as rubber ages. At some point you might have a tire failure - hope it’s not too far from “home.” It happened to me as the tire on mine were about as old as yours.

I had the fuel pump go out at about 2100 miles. Apparently they are somewhat problematic and prone to failure. I went with an upgraded after market as opposed to the Yamaha fuel pump. I put in a Makusni(spelling?). Fairly easy to install.

BIL installed an after market duster gizmo thing behind the seats to help with the dust issue as dust will be an issue especially if you install a windshield. The duster I guess helps - he said it helped but I still get as dusty as fugh.

My BIL installed second row seats. They work but not much leg room for the passengers. I wouldn’t install one in yours unless you really are gonna have regular passengers. Also with the passengers, you are closing in on the weight limit and obviously the handling characteristics change. You will scrape bottom on rough, rocky terrain.

I would think your Rhino wouldn’t be a speed demon - especially with added weight of passengers. I find my top end is about 41MPH at 7,000 feet with one passenger.

Last edited by flagstaff; 10/17/20.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks. It’s more than fast enough for my needs for farm work, hunting, and riding the hills around here. Rain is a bigger issue for us than dust. My only passengers will be occasional short rides, so a bolted down board might do it. Bed extender might make up some space in that limited instance? I’m looking at using some sound deadening stuff in the cockpit and elsewhere, to get the cab noise down some. Everything until the last couple of years seems loud.....even newer diesels aren’t as loud as some older ATVs and UTVs. I may spring for an EMP metal framed, DOT glass windshield and aluminum top, along with some soft half doors and rear (dust) barrier, just to stay dry and warm this winter. Looked at doing a soft top on my box to keep gear and tools dry, as well. Idea fairy is at full speed right now. LOL

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sounds good

Ya, rain might be a bigger problem where you live. The glass windshield might be a good idea.

I don’t drive fast either, but stretched it’s legs out once just to see what it would do. Certainly fast enough to kill or get hurt in an accident.

Forgot to mention mine has half doors too. I like them.

I am with you on how they have developed quieter engines nowadays.

Don’t know much about the sound deadening idea. Let me know how it works out for you as I would be interested in it too. I found a lot of the noise seems to come from the engine air intake location - the center console. Not sure how you would quite that down.

Enjoy you Rhino. I sure like mine for what I paid for it and what I got. Can’t understand how folks spend $20-30K on theIr side by sides nowadays. Of course we got first generation stuff while nowadays they are far superior to what we got. But for me, my usage, and pocketbook, I am happy with what I got.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have had two Rhino's..660 & FI 700.....now have Teryx 800

Your 450 may be a tad short on power....but still a good solid machine

Two links below...new & used parts....

RMATV here in Utah is fast..great service

https://www.powersportsnation.com/

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts/Yamaha

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Yes...DOT glass W/S is the only way to fly...vented in some way of course

buy once/cry once

Lexan will scratch

https://www.ryfab.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks....only found one place that makes the glass for a Rhino, EMP. It’s crazy how some folks don’t make stuff for the Rhino, when there’s so many out there....even if they did quit making them a few years back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 42 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.