Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've got this old sporterized 30-06 1917 that sometimes gets used for black bear or deer. The barrel is bobbed to 21", it's got a 6x Leupold in Weaver rings, and sits in a Bell & Carlson stock. Good old rifle that's been in our family more than 60 years.

Danged thing holds 7 cartridges. Six in the magazine, one in the chamber.

What do you think of sending this to JES and getting it re-bored, re-chambered to 9.3x62 for a rough & tumble medium bore?

I can't really see any drawbacks. Might top it with a fixed 2.5x, 3x, or 4x Leupold. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. Not that there's anything wrong with leaving it as a 30-06 either. It's certainly been one for a very long time now, over 100 years.

Thanks, Guy

BP-B2

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Sounds like a good idea to me. You may already have the perfect scope for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did that years ago and it makes a fantastic rifle

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
I've got this old sporterized 30-06 1917 that sometimes gets used for black bear or deer. The barrel is bobbed to 21", it's got a 6x Leupold in Weaver rings, and sits in a Bell & Carlson stock. Good old rifle that's been in our family more than 60 years.

Danged thing holds 7 cartridges. Six in the magazine, one in the chamber.

What do you think of sending this to JES and getting it re-bored, re-chambered to 9.3x62 for a rough & tumble medium bore?

I can't really see any drawbacks. Might top it with a fixed 2.5x, 3x, or 4x Leupold. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. Not that there's anything wrong with leaving it as a 30-06 either. It's certainly been one for a very long time now, over 100 years.

Thanks, Guy

Pictures man. Have you considered trimming it down a bit as well? Straighten the bottom metal, put it in a lighter stock, straighten the bolt handle, cock on open, timney trigger? What has been done to it? Back in the 50's, BSA would sporterize these things in their factory in England and you'd end up with rifles looking pretty good. More or less resembling a pre 64 model 70. Do you have any pics of the rifle as it sits now? I like your idea about sending it to JES for something new. I actually had one of mine turned into a 308 Norma and it is a rock solid rifle. I was cleaning a couple of mine earlier today and running the bolts and my sporter m1917 was actually smoother than my pre 64 model 70's, but that one has had some work done to it....Good luck with your project..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win

I'll bet you trust your life on that rifle. Just like you do your old faithful... Its hard to beat an old m1917 that has been done right... Like I said in the last post, mine are smoother than my pre 64's and use timney triggers. Some have been converted to cock on open, some have not. Bolt handles have been straightened, coil spring ejectors, pre 64 extractors, etc. etc... They always work...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one done by Dan at Classic barrel works several years ago, It shoots great and like the OP says it holds 7 rounds. I did have to open the feed rails a bit. But it feeds smooth now. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I

Hi! Don’t know exactly where you’re going or what your intentions, your budget or projected costs to ‘put it right’ in the new chambering proposed. In other words, I’m largely in the dark. And so! To speak in generalities. First, my prejudices. I do like the 9.3x62 and have a quite nice Husqvarna Model 640, FN actiona based rifle in that chambering. So, you’re talking my sort of thing! smile But, that said…

My more than several Enfield conversions from another era. One where labor was cheap, such conversions common and with market. Nowadays a whole other ball game. Don’t know whether your speaking about reboring and leaving matter at that. Or any further ‘civilizing’.

My first inclinatin to say that a 20” barrel very questionable in terms of the 9.3 potential. I’d not do it unless something exotic such as Mannlicher carbine. Just not to get full ‘money’s worth’ potential from such barrel. So what about rebarreling? Again, costs???

The bottom line, whatever conversion, sounds like you have an, excuse me, plastic stocked utility rifle. Rechambering – whatever necessary – you’ll still have such rifle. If you’re good with that, fine. Concerning ‘value added’, likely not to extent of investment. My bottom line, economic… No. Ringing your chimes… Only you to decide! A small buying streak in the eighties where I picked up most of my P17 Enfied sporters. All, on the cheap. Large, heavy and not modern. I could appreciate them, but that at average of $150-$200 a pop. I like the cock on closing just fine, I’d not convert. I also like the ‘one-extra’ mag capacity, but it makes for a deep mag and most “sporter’ definitions required the bottom metal be straightened and mag box cut. Don’t know how your B&C worked out with “as issued”.

My one 9.3x62 rifle, Husqvarna Model 640/FN mauser action. A sweet rifle, pix below. I gave $300 for it about 2005 or so. Not D&T for scope as I prefer this model! More are D&T and no extra value=added. I believe perhaps $400-$500 such Husky in our desired 9.3x62 could yet be had. These Huskys sleepers for some years and yet bit of such still. Were I to build from an action, I’d certainly use a pre 64 Win 70 to springboard from there.

Just my take!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attached Images
R272-8.jpg (29.36 KB, 387 downloads)
R272-10.jpg (25.31 KB, 391 downloads)
R272-16U.jpg (13.86 KB, 374 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 10/17/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra

Hi! Don’t know exactly where you’re going or what your intentions, your budget or projected costs to ‘put it right’ in the new chambering proposed. In other words, I’m largely in the dark. And so! To speak in generalities. First, my prejudices. I do like the 9.3x62 and have a quite nice Husqvarna Model 640, FN actiona based rifle in that chambering. So, you’re talking my sort of thing! smile But, that said…

My more than several Enfield conversions from another era. One where labor was cheap, such conversions common and with market. Nowadays a whole other ball game. Don’t know whether your speaking about reboring and leaving matter at that. Or any further ‘civilizing’.

My first inclinatin to say that a 20” barrel very questionable in terms of the 9.3 potential. I’d not do it unless something exotic such as Mannlicher carbine. Just not to get full ‘money’s worth’ potential from such barrel. So what about rebarreling? Again, costs???

The bottom line, whatever conversion, sounds like you have an, excuse me, plastic stocked utility rifle. Rechambering – whatever necessary – you’ll still have such rifle. If you’re good with that, fine. Concerning ‘value added’, likely not to extent of investment. My bottom line, economic… No. Ringing your chimes… Only you to decide! A small buying streak in the eighties where I picked up most of my P17 Enfied sporters. All, on the cheap. Large, heavy and not modern. I could appreciate them, but that at average of $150-$200 a pop. I like the cock on closing just fine, I’d not convert. I also like the ‘one-extra’ mag capacity, but it makes for a deep mag and most “sporter’ definitions required the bottom metal be straightened and mag box cut. Don’t know how your B&C worked out with “as issued”.

My one 9.3x62 rifle, Husqvarna Model 640/FN mauser action. A sweet rifle, pix below. I gave $300 for it about 2005 or so. Not D&T for scope as I prefer this model! More are D&T and no extra value=added. I believe perhaps $400-$500 such Husky in our desired 9.3x62 could yet be had. These Huskys sleepers for some years and yet bit of such still. Were I to build from an action, I’d certainly use a pre 64 Win 70 to springboard from there.

Just my take!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

First off, there's no such thing as a "P17". You must be thinking of the Pattern 14 or "P14". Secondly, the OP is wanting to send his rifle to JES here in Oregon for a simple rebore. They do excellent work and are very inexpensive. Last I saw, they charge around $250.00 for a simple rebore such as this. Also, if the op wants a 21" barreled 9.3x62mm, there's no problem with that. Again, I'd like to see pics of the rifle. Good threads have good pics. My suggestions earlier are not necessary, but help to modernize this old war horse. The m1917 may not have the sex appeal of the pre 64 model 70, but can be made to be a damn good sporter when some changes are made to them. I would never suggest to the op to look for a pre 64 model 70 to convert. I'd much rather leave those all original, than devalue them with a re-bore such as this. Iskra, those pics are small. I didn't even notice them. Here are a few good pics of some sporter m1917 enfields and factory sporterized BSA's:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The OP has a good platform to have re-bored. I think its a great idea, if he wants a good medium bore rifle. I played around with the 9.3x62mm for a while, shot elk with it and it worked as intended, but so does a good 30-06 with the right bullets.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My own m1917 eddystone in 30-06 still wears the original barrel full length at 26", In an original but "sporterized stock". It shoots with great accuracy. My own idea of converting it to 9.3x62 is even simpler than yours, I'd work up loads using the 220 gr roundnose to 2500-2600 fps and kill everything I shot it at. Go past go save the $250 and save myself the anxiety of pissing away a good barrel. You asked for wisdom of the fire and I have freely given advice that is yours to use or lose. Maybe try the 220 route first? Nothing ventured nothing gained at a savings at that. Magnum Bob. PS right now SPS has 220 gr NPT's CHEAP you be get 'nr .

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 10/18/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Although I own a 9.3, I'm with Magnum Bob on this, the 9.3 was not a huge step up from what the '06 does with heavy bullets. I did have one of my Alaska friends say he was glad I brought a 9.3....because he just hated it when a shot moose ran (usually into the swamp or a willow thicket) because it didn't know it was dead. He kinda thought that when a moose was hit with a 286 gr, they just just stood on the spot, mulling over the death question...and then just fell over. But he was not a pro guide, just a subsistence hunter, and not a real gun guy, they were just tools to him.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My own m1917 eddystone in 30-06 still wears the original barrel full length at 26", In an original but "sporterized stock". It shoots with great accuracy. My own idea of converting it to 9.3x62 is even simpler than yours, I'd work up loads using the 220 gr roundnose to 2500-2600 fps and kill everything I shot it at. Go past go save the $250 and save myself the anxiety of pissing away a good barrel. You asked for wisdom of the fire and I have freely given advice that is yours to use or lose. Maybe try the 220 route first? Nothing ventured nothing gained at a savings at that. Magnum Bob. PS right now SPS has 220 gr NPT's CHEAP you be get 'nr .

I've got some 220 gr Nosler Partitions on hand. The rifle shoots them well at about 2400 fps from the 21" barrel.

The sensible approach it to leave it a 30-06 and just use the big heavy Noslers.

I got a good size grizzly three years ago, using 200 gr Nosler Partitions and the 30-06 rifle. They worked well.

Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 10/18/20.
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Taking from the top... Pardon my P17 slang. Common misnomer as quick reference . / $250 for "simple rebore... Fine! What about barrel removal, chambering, reinstallation & headspacing? No inference I noted of owner-project or such capabilities. Seemed to me something of minimally $500-$600 project OTD for commercial gunsmithing/reboring services. / Seems to me gains made by 9.3 rechambering being compromised by shorter barrel. My impression and as noted above, minimal positive trade off from 30-06 to begin. / As noted, no pix and as my intro comment, working from "generalities". Vision may be different with good illustrations! Mine here: old Enfield sporter in 'plastic' stock... Pure utility rifle. My "generalizations" based on such concept. Re owner-personal view/preferences, firm ""go for it! / Objectively, my opinion that connoisseurs favoring the 9.3x62, unlikely to be impressed as packaged in the Enfield as described. Net negative investment. / The "pre '64 Model 70 Winchester with over half million production in its years! Plain vanilla Standard Rifle in such as 30-06, not just the most common sub-model; more than a half century later, more "non-original" specimens than original! Simple post-factory alterations such as recoil pad installation or D&T scope holes added to earlier vintage... Instant, "Non original". Many such specimens far more common than "original & correct. Perhaps $600-$800 for such non-original pre '64 rifle. Yet, as strict original standards often a "N/A", in true "Rifleman's Rifle" context. / Prior photo size... conjured as quick illustration, not to dominate.

Very interesting Thread & if appropriate... Pardon "calling ;em I see ;em."!
Best & Stay Safe
John

Last edited by iskra; 10/18/20.
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry I didn't take the time to stage the photo someplace with good light, or a better background.

Yes it's a very utilitarian rifle. B&C fiberglass stock, bobbed barrel, Weaver mounts, 6x Leupold (had a 2.5x Leupold on it for a while, years ago). It was converted to cock on opening long ago. Has a Timney trigger.

Dad had it in a decent walnut stock - but that stock never fit me worth a hoot. It's been in the B&C stock for at least 12 years.

My son used it to take two good bears on spot & stalk hunts here in Washington. He also shot a few whitetail bucks with it here too. We like it as the 30-06, but I got curious about bumping it up a bit with a re-bore from JES to 9.3 and seeing how that would work for bear, elk, and possibly moose. Not that a 30-06 can't do those things too. I mean heck, I shot a grizzly with my other 30-06 just a few years ago.

Probably no real reason to convert it to a 9.3 or a 35 Whelen, but I wanted to get some input. Figured such a rifle might be real useful for some things.

John/ISKRA - thanks for the input - JES has no need to even remove the barrel, keeping it a real cost-effective way of going to a larger bore.

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 10/18/20.
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 458Win

Thanks. I was thinking that roughly 375 H&H power and 7 rounds in the rifle might be pretty useful.

Guy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guy whether you leave it an 06 or rebore to 9.3 it is still a 1st class family heirloom for sure good luck with whatever you decide. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Guy whether you leave it an 06 or rebore to 9.3 it is still a 1st class family heirloom for sure good luck with whatever you decide. MB

Thanks. Funny how just about the time I got it all set up the way I wanted it... A youngster decided he liked that rifle an awful lot. smile

Whenever we hunt together and he chooses that rifle, I smile. It's set up pretty much perfectly for me, but in reality, it's not mine anymore. It's found a younger hunter.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saving it be and using heavies if they are called for is the only sensible thing
to do.

To reboreing costs, add in buying dies, brass, and any tools(ie trimmer pilots...).
If you are like me, you build a little stash of components, so bullets bought just
for that gun and stashed are another expense.

Those items aren't huge, but thery add up at today's prices.

Having said all that,
It's great to be an Ameican living today.
We are blessed with the resources to do silly things just because we want to.

The hardest question sometimes is,
"Is this what I really want,
is it a passing fancy,
or just a bad idea?"

That's on you.

If it just recently popped in your head,
put it on hold for a few months.
If it still sounds good in the spring, maybe do it.

Besides cost, there is the whole sides of "screwing up" this gun.
It's not a gun you can replace. It's value is in the story, the people
that used it, the mods they performed. Not saying don't do it, just be careful.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/19/20.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guy you have had good luck with 700's maybe the smart thing would be to find a used 700 30-06 and send it to JES for the rebore to 9.3? Then a dupe stock giving you total familiarity of it? MB

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Cascade,why don't you look for a CZ 550 in a 9.3x62?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A little off topic but a word to the wise.

The 9.3X62mm ammunition Winchester is making for Browning is based on the .30-06 cartridge case and not to the CIP standard.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.