Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MtnT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
What would be best of these choices for an expanding bullet in a 9.3x62 for Cape Buffalo?
286g Nosler partition
320g Woodliegh
325g Norma Oryx

Heavy ones running at about 2370fps, 286 running just over 2500fps

So all at Namibia minimum 5400 joules or just a hair over

I have got partitions running great w 1” or less groups, but wondering if one of the “heavy” bullets would better

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In general, the Partition tends to penetrate at least as deeply as the Woodleigh and Oryx, and often deeper, because it doesn't expand as widely.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Personally, I'd use a SAF, but I see it's not on your list.

I have used SAF and TBBC on (7) Buffalo in Africa so far, and like them both.

Sorry, I have no experience to help you with your list.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've used the Nosler on feral cattle, but I suspect that a load pushing it to 2,500 fps might be unsafe.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, it's not. The load I use in mine (CZ 550 with 23.6 inch barrel) with 286's is 66 grains of Ramshot Big Game gets just about that, and I had it pressure-tested. Turns out its right around .30-06 factory pressures, which aren't very hot at all. Have used it in Africa at over 100 degrees Fahrenheit with no issues.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
S
I used the Woodleigh bullets on plains game and they dropped everything quickly, the largest being a Kudu. I think they would do fine on a buffalo.

M
MtnT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
SAF generates higher pressures, per QL
TBBC isn’t available

JB, do u think I am good to stay with the Partitions?
They do shoot straight

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe over my head here. What about barnes X or similar offerings?

Last edited by Dre; 10/17/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Haven't used them, but have hunted Africa three times, everything from hippo down to steenbok, the 320gr Woodleigh PP's from my 9.3x62mm at 2400 fps wouldn't worry me in the least with all game animals anyone would ever fire a soft point bullet at, to me that means all game short of Ele head shots, were that needed, the 320gr Woodleigh or 280gr BBW #13 solids would penetrate to next week.

Good luck and have fun, it's a hell of an accurate cartridge, hunting to a full 300 yards would be a cake walk with the pointed 320gr Woodleigh softs at 2400 fps.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MtnT
SAF generates higher pressures, per QL
TBBC isn’t available

JB, do u think I am good to stay with the Partitions?
They do shoot straight

This entire discussion is kind of like trying to choose between several excellent kinds of ice cream. I know you are good staying with the Partitions, as I have been taking big game with them for close to 20 years now, ranging up to around 1500 pounds, using the Big Game load mentioned earlier. They not only penetrate very deeply (they're one of the heavier Nosler Partition that have the partition moved forward to retain more weight) but also knock the snot out of African game. In fact, when I used my 9.3x62 as my "light" rifle on a safari a few years ago, my hunting partner used a .300 Winchester Magnum with 180-grain bullets, and was so impressed with how the 9.3x62 worked that he bought one himself after returning from the hunt. (The PH was also so impressed that he wanted me to take my second buffalo with the 9.3 rather then the .416 Rigby I used on my first, but we did not find a "better" buffalo when hunting with the 9.3. I think he was more disappointed than I was.)

That said, one of the virtues of the 9.3x62 is itsmoderate velocity with 286s, even when increased somewhat with modern powders, results in very good terminal performance with most bullets, including cup-and-cores like the Hornady Interlock. This is a big part of the reason the 9.3x62 is still around after more than century. You're not going to have "problems" with the 286 Partition, any more than you would with any of the other bullets mentioned so far. It works very well.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dre,

I have used 250 and 286-grain Barnes Xs in my 9.3x62, both the grooveless "pre-TSX" and TSX, and they work. But in my experience they do not kill as quickly as lead-cores at the moderate velocities of the 9.3x62, and the deep penetration result in problems when hunting buffalo in herds, due to exiting more often. In fact, I know more than one African PH who recommends TSXs in the .375 H&H for buffalo--but advises using the 270-grain (or even the 250-grain TTSX) instead of the 300-grain, because the 270 is less likely to exit when hunting buffalo in herds, possibly wounding another buffalo. My preference would be for the 250-grain TTSX, since it can be driven faster, and in my experience more velocity results in quicker kills with monolithic bullets of any brand. But even with 250s the 9.3x62 isn't a speed demon. About 2650-2700 fps is top end.

Also, the 9.3x62 doesn't have as much powder room as the .375 H&H, and loading the very long 286 TSXs can be a problem, even with very dense Big Game powder. I was able to use Big Game with the original 286-grain X-Bullet, but the powder charge was heavily compressed. The 286 TSX is a little longer, and didn't want to stay in place over Big Game.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All of those would not be a bad choice. Take the Nosler's but ask your PH what he recommends, this is rarely a bad idea. Most will recommend the Swift A Frame and the Barnes TSX for follow up shots, the Nosler, Woodleigh's and maybe the Oryx will get mentioned by some PH's too. Rhino Bullets are designed for Buffalo but I don't know how the availability is right now, it was good a year or so ago. Which ever gives you and your PH the most confidence is the one to go with.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tejano,

I would not change a good load with a good bullet just because the PH suggests another bullet. There are too many good bullets out there these days--and I have also found more PHs think highly of Partitions (especially the heavier models designed to retain more weight) than you would imagine from Internet posts from safari hunters.

I once hunted with Luke Samaras, one of the older, legendary PHs who started in Kenya, and then when they closed big game huntinf down in 1977, switched to Tanzania. (There was also a period where Tanzania closed down as well, which Luke spent working for Rigby in England.) Like Harry Selby, Luke is a big fan of the .416 Rigby, and since I brought a .416 Rigby we had a pretty good talk about why.

During that talk he found I'd brought ammo loaded with 400-grain Partitions, and said, "I didn't know Nosler made .416 bullets! If I did, I would load them instead the ---- I've been using."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luke Samaras?

Love to sit around his campfire!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a 9.3 x 62 nut.

John “Pondoro” Taylor summed it up by saying to the effect that nobody argues about it because it works so well.

I have taken a half a dozen Buffalo with it and loaded cartridges for hunters that have taken another half dozen plus.

250 TSX works every time.

It works on eland, kudu, sable, elk, and even impala and Nyala.

My other favorite is the now unobtainable RWS H-Mantle- which is a fancy Partition.

Go with one of those and never look back.
9.3 x 62 is easy on the shoulder and kills far above what paper ballistics would lead you to believe.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tejano,

There are too many good bullets out there these days--and I have also found more PHs think highly of Partitions (especially the heavier models designed to retain more weight) than you would imagine from Internet posts from safari hunters.

John, would you mind listing those bullets?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tejano,

There are too many good bullets out there these days--and I have also found more PHs think highly of Partitions (especially the heavier models designed to retain more weight) than you would imagine from Internet posts from safari hunters.

John, would you mind listing those bullets?

As far as I personally know from field experience resulting in far more than the "standard" 65-70% weight retention, they include bullets from the 225-grain .338 on up. The few I've recovered from that on up through 400-grain .416s have averaged around 90% weight retention.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
MD, good to hear, Thanks, have Partitions in 250gr 338, 250gr 358, 300gr 375, 400gr 416 and 500gr 458 at 2750, 2800, 2680, 2400 and 2150 fps in that order, can't get my head around on why they wouldn't work very well on 'any' game animal anywhere that requires a soft point bullet.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The 320 Woodlieghs penetrate and expand very well from a 9.3X74

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 320 Woodlieghs penetrate and expand very well from a 9.3X74

Nice, I have heard good things about the 320gr Woodleigh solids as well, they go deep and straight.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 723 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.