Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve got a good friend who is a Zuki dealer and mechanic. He loves Suzukis, Yamahas, and Hondas in that order. He has no use for anything Mercury or anything else. He claims that though Tohatsu builds the small OBs for Yamaha, Mercury, and others that they are built to a contracted spec and Mercury specs are not as good as the others. Suzukis are built in Thailand, at least the small ones. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but I’ve been happy with my 20hp so far. YMMV

GB2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think we have got way to critical of product's made in country's we don't like. Imgine what that China made outboard would cost if it were made in America. That is why things are made in China! Ya pay a Chinaman fifteen cent's an hour to do the same job an American get's twenty dollars an hour for! And the guarantee is the same. I have a Kastking BC reel I think was made in China, nice reel and if I needed another wouldn't bother me to get another. I suspect most people that bad mouth China labor use a bunch of product's from there and don't even know it!

Last edited by DonFischer; 10/17/20.
M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
"I suspect most people that bad mouth China labor use a bunch of product's from there and don't even know it!"

Ok. Ya. you are right... I am one of those that used products made in China.

And, as a matter of conscience, I am making an effort on reducing my dependence on China. I do not wish to support China. So, I want to make sure that the last boat, that I am ever going to buy... dose not have a motor manufactured in China.

I am ok with a Suzuki built in Thailand.

The Chinese importer, Mercury Marine, Got a 50 million from Wisconsin Tax payers to support their organization... at the same time, Evinrude/Johnson just 75 miles south, sent all their workers home with a pink slip... never to manufacture boat outboards motors again.

Last edited by mikieb; 10/17/20. Reason: punctuation

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I was under the understanding that up to including the 30hp Mercs were japanese made tohatsu's ( well there are some small differences between the tohatsu branded engines and the Merc ones but all made by Tohatsu in Japan). The 30-60hps were Chinese Mercs and above 60hp US made. Has that changed?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The main reason Evinrude folded was their insistence on making nothing but two-stroke engines. That equine is deceased.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One more thing: Which is worse - buying stuff made in China? Or buying stuff made in the USA by workers forced to join unions that bilk them for obscene dues that are then donated to China-loving Democrats?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
One more thing: Which is worse - buying stuff made in China? Or buying stuff made in the USA by workers forced to join unions that bilk them for obscene dues that are then donated to China-loving Democrats?

One huge flaw here. In this country nobody is forced to work anywhere nor is anybody forced to join a union! Huge flaw!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh how wrong you are.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought a Mercury knowing I could have bought a Tohatsu cheaper. Where is dealer support for the Tohutsu?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Already plenty of ways to rationalize sending our money and jobs to China.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought a 5 horse merc long shaft last year. It says made in Japan. I was looking at Honda outboard specs yesterday and it said made in China. I would take Japan over China all day long.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My Yamaha is made in France.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.