Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Our range has a bunch of really nice shooting bays for pistol/CQ practice so I've wanted to invest in several 1" target stands and possibly a dueling tree to help improve training sessions for me and my family/friends. I'm seeing some very inexpensive offerings from Birchwood Casey and thought I might give these a try. I like the idea of purchasing 5-10 1" target stands and a dueling tree without breaking the bank but, if they're poor quality, I don't want to waste my time/money. Any recommendations on these or something similar/better?

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Birchwood Casey adjustable target stand. It works as advertised. We used it a while back for a family range day day, and the only complaint I had was that we didn't have 4-5 more of them.

There really isn't much to break on them.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use a 2x4 for a stand, you can hunt up instructions on how to make one with 1 9‘ 2x4 and I put in a center slot to run a 2x4 to hang steel plates on too. The heavier base doesn't blow over quite as easy, I'll try and remember to get some pics later.

Last edited by TWR; 10/16/20. Reason: 9’ not 8’
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I purchased a shot-timer and would like to start doing some speed drills so these look like a great option for the $$. Any ideas on a source for cheap ISPC cardboard silhouettes?

I think I'll pass on the duelling tree for now.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TWR
I use a 2x4 for a stand, you can hunt up instructions on how to make one with 1 8" 2x4 and I put in a center slot to run a 2x4 to hang steel plates on too. The heavier base doesn't blow over quite as easy, I'll try and remember to get some pics later.

Thanks TWR. I'd be interested in those as well.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I use a 2x4 for a stand, you can hunt up instructions on how to make one with 1 8" 2x4 and I put in a center slot to run a 2x4 to hang steel plates on too. The heavier base doesn't blow over quite as easy, I'll try and remember to get some pics later.

I make my own. Some use 2x4 posts:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They are simple to make. If the OP knows a good welder, they could whip some up in short time... Dueling trees are fun too. Here's the last one I made. I use 1/4" and 1/2" AR500:

Longrange rifle targets are a blast too:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
2x4 base
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
2, 30” - 2, 6” - 2, 18” - 2 pieces of fur strips.
This way you can use cardboard silhouette or another 2x4 and shoot steel.
I do recommend a piece of flat metal on the post cause people will shoot low.

Last edited by TWR; 10/16/20.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As for cheap USPSA targets, MidwayUSA runs them on sale but shipping will add about $30 to my locale.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TWR
2x4 base
2, 30” - 2, 6” - 2, 18” - 2 pieces of fur strips.
This way you can use cardboard silhouette or another 2x4 and shoot steel.
I do recommend a piece of flat metal on the post cause people will shoot low.

Love the option for double-duty and I'm sure they'll work better in the wind. Plus, even though the metal ones were pretty cheap, this should save me over $100 if I build a 1/2 dozen stands!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya I looked at making metal ones, I’m a better welder than carpenter but these work, they stack better and they’re cheap.

I’ve also seen some out of PVC pipe for the cardboard silhouettes but they blow over pretty easy from what I’ve seen.

A couple of sources
https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Target-Tape-P4405.aspx
https://www.targetbarn.com/

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TWR
Ya I looked at making metal ones, I’m a better welder than carpenter but these work, they stack better and they’re cheap.

I’ve also seen some out of PVC pipe for the cardboard silhouettes but they blow over pretty easy from what I’ve seen.

A couple of sources
https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Target-Tape-P4405.aspx
https://www.targetbarn.com/

Thanks again! Just ordered a pk/100 cardboard targets and some pasties as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When this thread shows up on the main forum index page, it says "Practice aids-dueling . . ." Then I came here and got disappointed. frown

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
When this thread shows up on the main forum index page, it says "Practice aids-dueling . . ." Then I came here and got disappointed. frown

That would be disappointing! LOL!!

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you set targets at eye level, test the spall pattern.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by dla

What's that?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Targets? I liked wild barn cats.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
https://www.ar500armor.com/spallandfrag.html

Our range requires us to keep targets at 5-7 feet high and we don’t shoot steel any closer than 10 yards. That’s with pistol, I won’t shoot any closer than 100 with rifle, mainly because it’s hard on steel.

You will get hit with frags, eye pro is a must for anyone on the range.

Last edited by TWR; 10/18/20.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by dla

What's that?

If the plate is canted down, the spall will hit the ground. If the plate is canted up, spall will be launched all over. If the shooter is shooting slightly downward at the plate, it is the same as canting the plate downward. If a plate is anchored hard to the stand, you will get spall coming back further than if the plate was allowed to move.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Gotcha. I was shooting steel, canted down, at 7 yards so these targets will be replacing all the steel targets for close range. Is 10 yards pretty standard for a minimum when shooting pistols?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
8 yards is USPSA and steel challenge recommendations I think but 10 is mo betta.

Our steel is free hanging but we have plate racks too and what dla says is true, the splatter goes where it’s directed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.