Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
All public land in almost the entire unit is closed. We have a big new fire with 0% containment. I live close to the fire, we are on pre-evac and expecting the mandatory evac call any time. I think this will all continue through 2nd season at least. See Inciweb, East Troublesome fire.

Last edited by riverdog; 10/16/20.
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks Riverdog! Doesn’t sound good. Been talking to ranch foreman and monitoring Grand county OEM page.

Hope you and your family are safe and healthy !

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You folks hang tough up there. That was my home for 25 years. Be safe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prayers and vibes to all ... spent a lot of time in Grand County over the past 25 years and actually own property there, closer to the Williams Fork fire but should be OK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
11k+ acres, 125 corridor evac north from US40.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Prayers and good luck sent for you guys!

Last edited by Sako76; 10/17/20.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/10/17/new-evacuations-east-troublesome-fire/

9 hour old report from Denver on the East Troublesome wildfire. Thank for the posting on the fire riverdog ... Stay Safe !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We used the King Ranch when I worked for Samuelson Outfitters. I worked one winter and spring many years ago at Vagabond ranch which is across 125 and a bit north of King Ranch. C lazy U is south on 125, not to mention all the little ranches and homes in between. That thing has grown quite a bit in the last couple days...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yikes, stay safe

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Troublesome82,

You worked on our ranch too, didn’t you? Before my aunt & uncle acquired it what, about 25 years ago or so?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That fire and others seem to be growing, just as many of the federal crews time out and end their seasons. Seems like an odd system to me, but it is the government.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up in CO and that area was some of my favorite hunting and fishing country. Sad to hear it is burning but I'm not surprised the whole state isn't on fire. Last time I was there I was shocked to see thousands of acres of standing dead timber all over the state. When I was growing up they logged the dead timber off but with all the displaced fools from CA that have moved in I guess those days are done. It will probably burn until the snow falls.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Troublesome82,

You worked on our ranch too, didn’t you? Before my aunt & uncle acquired it what, about 25 years ago or so?

Ya, I did , off and on. Chris Burkhardt owned it then. He bought out K&K Outfitters. I worked for him once in awhile as a grunt , then that one winter we were manufacturing "nuclear turds" at his place! After Chris I believe Marion Bricker bought the place. I never worked for him , but he was a good dude! When Bricker bought K&K he was the first outfitter to haul hay into the troublesome by chopper! His main camp was in Lost Gulch! Samuelson bought out K&K after 2000 sometime.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MAC
I grew up in CO and that area was some of my favorite hunting and fishing country. Sad to hear it is burning but I'm not surprised the whole state isn't on fire. Last time I was there I was shocked to see thousands of acres of standing dead timber all over the state. When I was growing up they logged the dead timber off but with all the displaced fools from CA that have moved in I guess those days are done. It will probably burn until the snow falls.

Most of the beetle kill trees didn't have much commercial value when they were green, and of course less when they are dead. USFS is begging to have those trees commercially harvested, but most of the that beetle kill timber is for niche kind of lumber. Beetle kill T&G lumber is gorgeous on ceilings and walls.......

Also, the most flammable and hottest burning trees are the green needles when they have low moisture content. They are practically explosive. Red needle and dead trees can't have crown fires, and don't burn as hot.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Most of the beetle kill trees didn't have much commercial value when they were green, and of course less when they are dead. USFS is begging to have those trees commercially harvested, but most of the that beetle kill timber is for niche kind of lumber. Beetle kill T&G lumber is gorgeous on ceilings and walls.......

Also, the most flammable and hottest burning trees are the green needles when they have low moisture content. They are practically explosive. Red needle and dead trees can't have crown fires, and don't burn as hot.

Back when I was growing up they let people go cut as much as they wanted for firewood. Then the bunny huggers got involved and made them close off a lot of the access roads and quit giving out firewood permits. Now there is dead standing timber everywhere. The fact they now have wildfires is not surprising at all. All that fuel is just waiting for a lightning strike.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around, I do not think anything could have stopped the biblical pestilence the beetles wreaked. I was out there when it first started to be of concern, late 90's, early 00's. Many made their fortune starting in those early years with fire mitigation and use of the all the deadwood, but in the end only a select few made a go of it for the long haul as there was just too much timber to process and the demand for it's byproducts were only so great. Pellets, wafer board, paper products, etc., don't know what could have been done, but I do know all it takes is time and money to solve some of these issues, and many have very little of each.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by troublesome82
While I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around, I do not think anything could have stopped the biblical pestilence the beetles wreaked. I was out there when it first started to be of concern, late 90's, early 00's. Many made their fortune starting in those early years with fire mitigation and use of the all the deadwood, but in the end only a select few made a go of it for the long haul as there was just too much timber to process and the demand for it's byproducts were only so great. Pellets, wafer board, paper products, etc., don't know what could have been done, but I do know all it takes is time and money to solve some of these issues, and many have very little of each.

Right you are !
They still sell firewood permits for cutting on the NF, this year firewood was free.
Maybe some Trump supporters could come up and do some raking on the forest .

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wytex
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Right you are !
They still sell firewood permits for cutting on the NF, this year firewood was free.
Maybe some Trump supporters could come up and do some raking on the forest .

I was thinking more like a big ole Massey Ferguson on tracks with a mulcher on the front instead of a combine!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 42 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,212
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.