Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's a wide range of topics I'm throwing out for the crowd.

I read this story about his 38 year old mom that went off hiking on her own during an excursion in Zion Natl. Park and went missing. They found her two weeks later. Her daughter claims she was an "experienced" hiker. That brought several thoughts to mind.

WTF does "experienced" hiker mean in the Pajama Boi/HGTV age? Does it mean they go and walk on well marked flat trails frequented by 100s of others once a month? For the Millennial crowd, that is probably accurate. That's why I call them the HGTV generation. They want to live in condos and cluster homes in town with almost zero yard, walk to celebrity restaurants during the week, and then escape to "nature" on the weekends or vacation.

Brings up the next thought, where do these urbanites learn their outdoor skills? Youtube? At the REI store demo? I learned basic outdoor and survival skills in the Boy Scouts. How to read a compass, tie knots, blaze a trail, make emergency shelter, and how to make fire. I learned orienteering, and how to read a typo map. How to find Polaris or Cassiopia in the northern sky at night. Scouting did teach survival skills. Scouting is dead today.

Also brings up the point that some people don't belong off a paved road. I swear this is a true story. Was in Jackson, WY a few years ago staying at a small hotel. We were on our way out when one such couple that fit the above HGTV description passed by the front desk. Dude working asks where they were going today and they said Grand Teton Park.
He asks "Do you have bear spray?" They answered in the negative
"Here, take one of ours. Do you know how to use it?"

They answered in the affirmative and started toward the door, but paused and asked:

"Do you spray it all over your clothes or just on your bare skin?"

With a straight face, the dude answers "Ma'am, if you attempt either, please step outside first."

Today with the reliance on GPS, nobody can read a map and they don't have a good sense of where they are when they start. Forget a compass. They will never look at the direction of the sun when they start. If their cell phone goes dead or loses signal, they have no clue.

Just a bunch of random thoughts. I'm sure you guys see plenty of this.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Story:

'Overjoyed': Missing Zion National Park hiker Holly Courtier found alive after 12 days
Steve Kiggins, USA TODAY
Sun, October 18, 2020, 6:05 PM EDT
Watch: Mother rescued in Zion National Park after missing for nearly 2 weeks

Scroll back up to restore default view.
A California woman who was missing for nearly two weeks at Zion National Park in Utah was found safely on Sunday and reunited with her family.

Holly Suzanne Courtier, 38, hadn’t been seen since riding a private shuttle into the park’s Grotto area on Oct. 6. Her disappearance prompted multiple search and rescue efforts that were complicated by the fact that Courtier didn’t have a cell phone and hadn’t left a trip itinerary.

Park rangers located Courtier after receiving a “credible tip from a park visitor,” the National Park Service said in a news release, adding that Courtier has since left the park with her family.

“We are overjoyed that she was found safely today,” Courtier’s family said in a statement released by the park service. “We would like to thank the rangers and search teams who relentlessly looked for her day and night and never gave up hope. We are also so grateful to the countless volunteers who were generous with their time, resources and support. This wouldn’t have been possible without the network of people who came together.”

More than the 'Mighty Five'? Utah Rep. Chris Stewart revives bill to create state's sixth national park.

The search for Courtier brought together federal, state and local resources, including the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and the Grand Canyon National Emergency Service Team, plus park staff and volunteers.

The Park Service statement did not include any information about Courtier’s health or her whereabouts for the past 12 days.

Courtier was reported missing by her family on Oct. 8, two days after failed to return to the shuttle after heading out on the Kayenta Trail toward the Emerald Pools. Her vehicle was discovered in the nearby town of Springdale, at the park’s southwest entrance, early in the search, Zion officials had said.

'The cougar guy': Utah hiker encounters a cougar who followed him for nearly six minutes

Courtier's daughter, Kailey Chambers, told CBS Los Angeles last week that her mom had been traveling the country in a converted van after losing her job due to the coronavirus pandemic. She described her as an "experienced hiker” who was familiar with Zion National Park.

“I know she would not give up on me, so I refuse to give up on her,” Chambers told the TV station. “I don’t care if I’m the only person on the trail looking for her, I’m not going to stop until I find her.”

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IT begs the question, WTF is a woman doing going for a hike all by herself in the woods? I'm seeing AT LEAST a half bubble of plumb here...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A lot of people today can't read maps as they solely rely on GPS off their phones for navigation while driving. I wonder how many accidents are caused by someone following GPS navigation on their phones and have to quickly change lanes or such to get off at an exit. I especially hate driving in or through big cities nowadays. I prefer a good topo map and compass. Many areas of the country still do not have good cell phone coverage and the batteries can go dead unless you have a way to recharge.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It has always been and ever will be thus. The only recent enhancement has been that the issue becomes so much more visible in the digital age due social media overexposure. Urban and suburban dwellers are a different breed from those raised in fresh air, forests and fields. We could commend them for their efforts to bond with us, but it's more fun to enjoy a good laugh at their expense. It's the same laugh that they might have at our expense were the situation reversed. I know how stupid I feel trying to figure out how to get around on the "T" in Boston or how to translate a Starbucks coffee list into plain English, but I give it my best! Eff 'em; let 'em laugh.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Experienced hiker today means they have a dirt hiking path in their housing development that the person walks frequently. They may hike a well marked hiking trail a few times.
My son is an Eagle Scout and experienced outdoorsman due to growing up in our household. The stories he tells me about kids his age and their total lack of anything outdoor related leaves me shaking my head. Stories similar to Hatari’s bear spray story. He is in the Air Force and none of the people in his SERE class had any previous outdoor skills. He was surprised how little most of them knew about even basic things. The number of people in the coming generations who have any outdoor/survival skills at all is very, very small from what I have seen.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
IT begs the question, WTF is a woman doing going for a hike all by herself in the woods? I'm seeing AT LEAST a half bubble of plumb here...

I know plenty of women from western states that could out hike, hunt, shoot and pack your tired old ass and most eastern tenderfeet any day and in any weather condition. Painting with a broad brush when you hunt high fence is really not smart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am impressed the woman survived for two weeks out there; would like to know the story behind that......

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Scouting is full of q ueers that like to bufu teenage boys and trannie "girls".

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Zion, is not the woods, it's sand rock, red clay and sand and scrub cedar trees, lots of hiking trails that are very well marked, from most high points you can see Colorado river or Hi-Way or the lights of Moab, Utah, or the park ranger station, you would have to be a complete dumb ass to get lost there,

We hunted Big Horn Sheep there before Zion and Canyon Lands became National Parks. Rio7

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when I was in Scouting a few years back we did teach reading a compass, reading a map, using the sun during the day, moss on the trees and the stars at night

My son and I were talking last week, he became an eagle in 2016 and we were saying how as an adult he'll probably be the last generation of Eagle Scouts. 30 years from now few people will have an appreciation for what it is. Its a shame, but while I still strongly believe in Scouting, it doesn't have a place in the world today.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/19/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Device I play around with a lot that throws many folks for a loop! But after I explain to them what it is they pick up on it. Enjoy letting them use it! Fun to clue them in on how things were done!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In reality all it is is a big compass.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard

That's like saying every Catholic priest is gay, whhich is certainly not the case.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TimZ
I am impressed the woman survived for two weeks out there; would like to know the story behind that......

The story may end up not being what it seems.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I’m pretty good at finding my way out, and have hit a point where I do nearly paranoid things to prevent it, but the fact is, I could get lost in an outhouse.
Put me in a thicket on flat ground and call me last years Easter Egg.
Sooo, I keep a map, compass, gps, phone, write down where I’ll be so my wife can tell my brother in law where to find me (he’s never had to, btw).
Before going off any trail, and even on a trail if there are turns, I’ll plot waypoints, check compass, check map, check ridges, check the sun, check my 6 regularly, etc.

I don’t think the girl in Utah was lost, but I don’t think she wanted to be found. Apparently, however, she did want to live.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The senior General MacArthur noticed a disturbing lack of rifle skill during the Spanish American War and so founded the School of Musketry in Fort Ord back in 1904. It was later moved to Fort Benning Georgia in 1917(?). The NRA started even earlier trying to address the lack of shooting skills at the closing of the American Frontier.

The Scouts were more ambitious. But because they not only taught fieldcraft but morals and a way of life, they were targeted by those opposed to such way of life. This is the curse of having standards. Those who don't want to be held to even a moderate standard of behavior do their best to destroy those pesky inconvenient morals. The Scouts were ridiculed as "goody two-shoes" and destroyed by homosexuals and atheists. After all, it is much cooler to do drugs than to be strong and straight and a credit to your community.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe where you live, but that’s not the case here. The kids in scouting reflect the exact traits that the adults who are leading that troop. It differs from troop to troop. I learned a tons of outdoor and life skills through scouting starting about 30 years ago. I’m currently teaching my son and his friends some of those same skills. One of those skills is to lead by example and the fact that you don’t have to remain silent when someone runs off at the mouth about you, your family, or what makes you who you are.

My son gets livid when he sees the bs TV ambulance chaser ads for molested scouts. If someone told him that he and his friends were “q ueers that like to bufu teenage boys and trannie “girls”” I’d guess that person would have more than he’d want on his hands. But if you said that in front of me, calling into question my kid and his beliefs, I’d relish the opportunity to show those same kids what a real ass whipping looks like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not comfortable being out on a boat at night in a lake I am not familiar with, especially if the boat ramp isn't lit up. A GPS with waypoints really helps though. I only mention that because I was in that situation last night. It was still light enough we could find the boat ramp but by the time we got the boat loaded and on the road it was pitch black with no moon.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I know plenty of women from western states that could out hike, hunt, shoot and pack your tired old ass and most eastern tenderfeet any day and in any weather condition. Painting with a broad brush when you hunt high fence is really not smart.

You must be psychic...or a woman to know SO much about me...Not to mention you missed the point entirely about this specific female: "“She absolutely loves hiking and it’s one of her favorite things to do and when she needs clarity and to spend some time with herself, nature is her happy place,” Chambers said. .I guess your "Happy Place" is the Brokeback Montain Sauna and gerbel ranch.

not surprising given your issues with simple mechanical tasks...High fence?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

Maybe where you live, but that’s not the case here. The kids in scouting reflect the exact traits that the adults who are leading that troop. It differs from troop to troop. I learned a tons of outdoor and life skills through scouting starting about 30 years ago. I’m currently teaching my son and his friends some of those same skills. One of those skills is to lead by example and the fact that you don’t have to remain silent when someone runs off at the mouth about you, your family, or what makes you who you are.

My son gets livid when he sees the bs TV ambulance chaser ads for molested scouts. If someone told him that he and his friends were “q ueers that like to bufu teenage boys and trannie “girls”” I’d guess that person would have more than he’d want on his hands. But if you said that in front of me, calling into question my kid and his beliefs, I’d relish the opportunity to show those same kids what a real ass whipping looks like.

This! Last troop I was involved with here when both the sons were scouting (BTW, both Eagles), we were far from being as described above! I miss the troop rifle sight in before deer season and the troop clays shoot before dove season. Only time many of these boys got to be around firearms. And it brought their dads out too!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 53 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.