I have the same luggage.

I have a complete set...... grin

GB1

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Well aalf, I will give you A for effort. Nice pics and good to see you got a "brush wolf".

Thanks Wayne, not sure what I could have done to change the results.

The 2nd trip I hunted the far southern end of the forest. I saw a lot of coyote tracks, so I was surprised I only called in one, and he came in slow at the 24 minute mark. I thought maybe the wolves had a role in that, but the guy that busted my one set claimed there weren't any down that far south. I'm sure there's some that drift down there, but I never cut a track.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has been years since I saw a Bobcat and just the other day I was snowmobiling with a group out of Hatfield, WI and we were on a Clark County trail heading for Tioga, southwest of Willard and I was behind the lead snowmobile. We topped a hill and there about 50 yards ahead was a Bobcat on the trail, and poof he was gone.

We stopped where we last seen it and there was the remains of a Ruffed Grouse that it must of been dining on.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/05/21.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread got me pretty pumped up - the pics! I’m
working with a Hornet & .222 here in the VT woods and beyond.

If (as I just learned) the 55g Hornady SP works on Deer, it oughta work great on Bobs & Coyotes at any angle.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
This thread got me pretty pumped up - the pics! I’m
working with a Hornet & .222 here in the VT woods and beyond.

If (as I just learned) the 55g Hornady SP works on Deer, it oughta work great on Bobs & Coyotes at any angle.

You'll get some pretty rough occasional damage on coyotes and bobbers with 55gr HSP's on frontal or shoulder bone shots. quarter sized exits on broadside shots. Great deer bullet though.

Last edited by hendricks; 03/07/21.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I know this is primarily a rifle conversation but having a shotgun around is fur friendly and can save your a$$ in close, thick cover where bobcats like to be. I've regretted not having one on a few occasions and glad I had it on a few as well.

I like hevi-shot dead coyote, T-shot

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by hendricks; 03/07/21.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to talk occasionally to a guy who hunted coyotes and bobcats with a 223 and he said he mostly used the military FMJ because they wouldn't damage the fur. A couple small holes and that was it and with a good shot they just piled up. Never did get to try his theory as I usually just use what I'm carrying at the moment and don't save hides.

Been watching a bunch of predator hunting videos on youtube and several of them seem to be pretty happy with the 53 gr Hornady Vmax for saving fur....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf
Thanks Tom.....

I drew a Wisconsin cat tag this year is the reason for the question.

I stopped shooting fox around here when the coyotes took over, so all my 17's went down the road.

I'm not buying anything special gun wise just for this, and didn't want to buy any bullets.

I have plenty of BT's in 40, 50, & 55's, and figured the 55's would behave at 27-2800. I was curious of other's experience doing so.

By "this year", assuming you meant 2020, how did it go? Oct seemed kind of late in the season to be searching for a specific load/rifle, though I see you settled on a 22-204. I shot one bobcat years ago at about 20 yards with the 40 grain ballistic tip out of a .204 Ruger and it was really easy on the fur.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I stopped shooting fox around here when the coyotes took over, so all my 17's went down the road.
I'm not buying anything special gun wise just for this, and didn't want to buy any bullets.
I have plenty of BT's in 40, 50, & 55's, and figured the 55's would behave at 27-2800. I was curious of other's experience doing so.

By "this year", assuming you meant 2020, how did it go? Oct seemed kind of late in the season to be searching for a specific load/rifle, though I see you settled on a 22-204. I shot one bobcat years ago at about 20 yards with the 40 grain ballistic tip out of a .204 Ruger and it was really easy on the fur.

Scroll back up to 1-3-21, I updated the hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shot with 22 pistol through 338 win, killed this one couple months ago with a 204 32 gr Hornady at 300 yds, no exit. Never had a 32 exit
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload pics to internet

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
223 40 gr vmax
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
240 Wby 85 tsx
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Scroll back up to 1-3-21, I updated the hunt.

Holy hell...How did I miss that? Maybe the pics took a while to load and I scrolled right past them all without realizing it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can state for a fact that arrows are not fur friendly. From this past January. At least the holes are clean cut....grin....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How common are bobcats in AZ, NM and TX? It seems like lots are killed by callers and incidentally down south. In the intermountain states I know of only a handful of people who have killed them without dogs or trapping. I've seen maybe 10-12 over the years. I have seen quite a few more wolves and almost an equal number of lions than I have bobcats. I don't know if it is a population thing, a different subspecies or what the deal is.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Double tap....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty common here. I don't try to call them but I see a few a year just glassing. About as common as lions. I see 2-10 lions a year on camera and glassing.

Texas, dependent on region is loaded with them. I mean loaded, mainly west half ..

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We got lots up here too Ted, lot more since they outlawed the use of dogs.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a lot more 'cats around than most people think. If there are rabbits and mice there will be predators. I have trespassing privileges on a ranch south of LaJunta, CO, where I've shot a dozen or so 'cats in a place where the owner said he'd never seen a 'cat. Other than being in the middle of nowhere and a PITA to get to, it is one of my all time favorite places to spend a day with a rifle.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.