Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
We got lots up here too Ted, lot more since they outlawed the use of dogs.

Seems pretty phuqckin dumb.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

From what I have gathered some game wardens turn their heads when folks chase racoons with dogs and they then 'accidentally' cross a fresh(er) cat track. At least they did up by Forks 15-20 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never killed a bobcat that wasn't treed. I have had chances at them while turkey and chukar hunting, but just didn't have quite enough time. Called one in Idaho to within a few yards but only had a camera and the guy with the rifle was 10 yards away. I've seen others cross the road and jumped them whe deer hunting but never had a chance at them.

I don't think I know anyone who has killed one in Idaho, Montana or Wyoming incidentally while deer or elk hunting. Just a couple that were shotgunned while chukar hunting. On the other hand, I know a few dozen people who have killed both lions and wolves incidentally when deer hunting.

They're really rare to see where I am from, though I know they're around. A .22 Mag with 30 grain HPs works well on their fur when they're treed and you have a close shot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Ya pretty irritating actually

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've never killed a bobcat that wasn't treed. I have had chances at them while turkey and chukar hunting, but just didn't have quite enough time. Called one in Idaho to within a few yards but only had a camera and the guy with the rifle was 10 yards away. I've seen others cross the road and jumped them whe deer hunting but never had a chance at them.

I don't think I know anyone who has killed one in Idaho, Montana or Wyoming incidentally while deer or elk hunting. Just a couple that were shotgunned while chukar hunting. On the other hand, I know a few dozen people who have killed both lions and wolves incidentally when deer hunting.

They're really rare to see where I am from, though I know they're around. A .22 Mag with 30 grain HPs works well on their fur when they're treed and you have a close shot.

Ya we always used a Colt woodsman

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

When I'm calling 'cats in tight cover, the rifle, cartridge, and load that I use most frequently is a Remington 597 in .22 MAG with the 30 grain plastic tipped bullets. I've hunted 'cats in IA, KS, MO, NE, and SD for over 30 years, mostly in creek-bottom cover. Around Omaha, most of the foxes seem to have moved into the suburbs, the 'cats keep mostly to the hillside and creek-bottom timber, and the coyotes travel along tree lines, but keep mostly to the more open areas. The 'cats seem to know where the safe zones are and make those their core areas.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bobcats love bird calls, they just can not stand it. Trick is to get close enough to them where they will come. You may loose one now and again with a 22 mag and I used Winchester 40g HP, hits have to be placed in the lungs. If you hit them in the stomach with a 22 mag, they may get away from you.

Shot gun with #4 buck, BB, and lead #2's are very, very effective.

I used a 17 Remington with 25g HP and 17 Mach 4 with 25's to save hides which were worth $450 back in the day.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Use A full choke or extra full, pattern your shotgun to see where it prints. If you have any old lead #2, they are tremendous on cats and foxes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
25 vmax wide open out of a 17 rem. Pin prick going in and no exit. I’d also take a tight choked 12ga with BB lead or #4B

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Benbo
25 vmax wide open out of a 17 rem. Pin prick going in and no exit. I’d also take a tight choked 12ga with BB lead or #4B

Good to hear.....25 Vmax in the .17 Rem is going to be my choice for my next hunt. I never use a shotgun, so.....

But I appreciate all the input you guys have given me. Trying my damndest not to ruin the hide on the next bobcat I see...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How common are bobcats in AZ, NM and TX?

Come on down to SE NM. Tons of bobcats around here. Enough to be a problem for oilfield workers. grin

The Bobcats set up residence on the catwalks of the tank batteries and won't let the workers service the sites.

The drought is working the cottontails and jackrabbits over real hard so they are pretty aggressive about their territories.

There is a season for them since they are listed as a furbearer.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.