Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Maybe she wanted to get "lost"! Sounds to me like it.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
she probably spent two weeks getting dick.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I lived in New Hampshire people were always getting lost in the White Mountains NF, some of whom died from exposure, often on the Presidential Mountain Range. I think that it is even worse today because people have come to be dependant on phone apps and have little or no spatial or situational awareness. My kids are just as bad and when I talk to them about the need to be spatially and situationally aware, they scoff and think that my preference for paper maps to find my way and that I am always looking around, rather than looking at a phone screen is archaic behavior.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
she probably spent two weeks getting dick.

I promise Rog! I’ve been in Texas past 2-3 weeks!

😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Agreed as above. There is a whole lot about this incident that doesn’t jive. I do not think it happened as told.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Calvin
The woman went to Zion for a spiritual awaking. Her daughter freaked out.

She obviously went in with gear and had a 12 day camping trip. Doesn’t make for exciting news tho.

"Spiritual awakening?" Did she pack her peyote?

Concept of the HGTV generation remains.

Yep. If that's what really happened, it makes perfect sense. That's one of the ways us shamanic types get our groove on-- some with or some without some kind of enhancer like peyote.

Frankly, I was never going to go the chemical route. I always wanted a clear head for dealing with what I was likely to find out there. I also generally went with a ground crew-- someone to watch over me while I was getting my vision. Normally the ground crew also helped in doing the spiritual work. I was an urban shaman, so most of my work was close to home. I never went into that faux-indian stuff, but I did spend a month on the roof of my house at one point.

It's possible the woman knew what she was up to and went there and did it. In fact, after surviving for 12 days, my guess is that she knew her stuff pretty well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
City dwellers. Many trailheads have dog poop bag dispensers and require people to bag it. They do, but then they leave the bags on the trail instead of hauling them out. I've been on many trails and saw nicely bagged poop along the sides of the trail. The bags don't degrade like the poop.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I call those people third generation apartment dwellers. They have no clue about the outdoors and don't want one.

The BSA is dead by the hands of liberals and Robert Gates. I watched as requirements were watered down in the name of inclusion and leave no trace to the point where no outdoor skills are being taught.

During my last year as a Scout Master, I had to sign off that boys could make a cooking fire when the new requirements state that the boy does not actually need to light the fire in order to pass the requirement. And since that camp was under a fire ban, none of those boys know if they can actually start a fire.

At that same camp, the boys could earn the horsemanship merit badge without actually having to ride the horse. I could go on and on with examples of how the program robs boys of valuable experiences but I will just say I am no longer associated with the BSA and I do not recommend anyone allow their sons to join it. There is nothing there for them any longer.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Enter Trail LIfe. It's very similar to the BSA but without the baggage. All troops are sponsored by churches and it's Christ based. A lot of churches are dropping the BSA and switching to Trail Life. Ours made the switch 2 years ago. I've been teaching compass and map reading to our troop and a few weeks ago, we took them on a map reading expedition in the hills. We've been heavy into fire starting and emergency shelters, too. We have a campout of some kind every month, year round. Last winter we camped in 3' of snow at 10F and the boys constructed shelters to sleep in.
TL has about 250 troops across the country and 30k members so far. It's growing fast. Like any organization of this type, though, it's hard to get the boys' interest with all the competition for their time. Sports, internet, social media, etc. all have a strong pull away from outdoor activities.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I call those people third generation apartment dwellers. They have no clue about the outdoors and don't want one.

The BSA is dead by the hands of liberals and Robert Gates. I watched as requirements were watered down in the name of inclusion and leave no trace to the point where no outdoor skills are being taught.

During my last year as a Scout Master, I had to sign off that boys could make a cooking fire when the new requirements state that the boy does not actually need to light the fire in order to pass the requirement. And since that camp was under a fire ban, none of those boys know if they can actually start a fire.

At that same camp, the boys could earn the horsemanship merit badge without actually having to ride the horse. I could go on and on with examples of how the program robs boys of valuable experiences but I will just say I am no longer associated with the BSA and I do not recommend anyone allow their sons to join it. There is nothing there for them any longer.

Sad but that was some of what we witnessed at the end of my son’s involvement. Our troop was only a couple fathers and sons and we were all heavily involved. Those kids all learned a ton, It was a great Troop. The troop ended with our boys, there were no kids or other parents coming up which was sad but kind of the trend. What we saw going on with the organization as a whole was troubling.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IMHO better to just teach your own kid stuff.

Saw enough dweeb scoutmasters to question their involvement 40 yrs ago.

No thanks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Woodie:
You should give Henry credit for his presence in your photo. smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bud's kid got Eagle over a decade ago.
Said locally the scouting stuff was about done.
Not enough new people, or old school people, involved.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Here's a wide range of topics I'm throwing out for the crowd.

Brings up the next thought, where do these urbanites learn their outdoor skills? Youtube? At the REI store demo? I learned basic outdoor and survival skills in the Boy Scouts. How to read a compass, tie knots, blaze a trail, make emergency shelter, and how to make fire. I learned orienteering, and how to read a typo map. How to find Polaris or Cassiopia in the northern sky at night. Scouting did teach survival skills. Scouting is dead today.

Today with the reliance on GPS, nobody can read a map and they don't have a good sense of where they are when they start. Forget a compass. They will never look at the direction of the sun when they start. If their cell phone goes dead or loses signal, they have no clue.

Just a bunch of random thoughts. I'm sure you guys see plenty of this.

You are assuming they know how to use the GPS? Story a few years back was on a couple that had their GPS along and got lost and had to be rescued. Twice the same summer IIRC..... in the same area.

Pikers.

An "experienced hiker" or "outdoors person" has never needed to be rescued. OK- I'll give someone once.

Ain't commenting on the "lost" part...... smile

Last edited by las; 10/19/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hookeye

No thanks.

Basically what our troop was. Some dads and their sons. The one thing scouts did was bring us together, I didn’t know any of the other guys before the kids joined. The kids all knew each other from school. The local organization was filled with plenty of the dweebs. We went our own way and did our own thing, other than the boys doing some of the other functions to advance and camp outs . Years later and I am still friends with the other Dad’s. My son wanted to join so I got involved to make sure some dweeb wasn’t teaching him. I was fortunate that I met 4-5 other guys with the same mindset.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Enter Trail LIfe. It's very similar to the BSA but without the baggage. All troops are sponsored by churches and it's Christ based. A lot of churches are dropping the BSA and switching to Trail Life. Ours made the switch 2 years ago. I've been teaching compass and map reading to our troop and a few weeks ago, we took them on a map reading expedition in the hills. We've been heavy into fire starting and emergency shelters, too. We have a campout of some kind every month, year round. Last winter we camped in 3' of snow at 10F and the boys constructed shelters to sleep in.
TL has about 250 troops across the country and 30k members so far. It's growing fast. Like any organization of this type, though, it's hard to get the boys' interest with all the competition for their time. Sports, internet, social media, etc. all have a strong pull away from outdoor activities.

the issue I think is what is going to prevent them from facing the same issues that the Boy Scouts faced

I know we jumped through hoops to make sure no scout was ever in danger around an adult. I couldn't bring a scout home from a meeting, heck, I dreaded the idea of being in a situation where I was waiting for a parent with the last scout. We never let that happen because we always made 2 adults stick around until the last scout was gone from the meeting. Scouts could never tent with an adult, even their parent and they had to tent with scouts their own age.

but while we didn't have any issues (as I suspect most troops did not) even with those precautions, there were still enough instances of it happening that the scouts are filling for bankruptcy.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by hookeye

No thanks.

Basically what our troop was. Some dads and their sons. The one thing scouts did was bring us together, I didn’t know any of the other guys before the kids joined. The kids all knew each other from school. The local organization was filled with plenty of the dweebs. We went our own way and did our own thing, other than the boys doing some of the other functions to advance and camp outs . Years later and I am still friends with the other Dad’s. My son wanted to join so I got involved to make sure some dweeb wasn’t teaching him. I was fortunate that I met 4-5 other guys with the same mindset.

it definitely helped me and my son. He ended up being a troop guide for me for 3 years teaching the younger scouts to First Class. I also met some good adults and have formed friendships with them that still continue after we left.

The year I left, the scoutmaster of 19 years left about 3 months after I did and another assistant scoutmaster left about 8 months after. That left only the dweeb parents (well, IMO). Last I heard they only go camping twice a year and the rest of the time they spend the night in museums or YMCA's or even rent a cabin. That isn't camping, that's vacationing.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/19/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by gunswizard
Scouting is full of q ueers that like to bufu teenage boys and trannie "girls".

That's like saying every Catholic priest is gay, whhich is certainly not the case.

I was just wondering, upon reading your OP, how many folks nowadays "think" like gunswizard. (if you could call gunswizards statement a result of thinking)

I have a feeling the ads for lawyers on the TV for those abused while in Scouts might have something to do with it.

In my years in Scouts, starting with the blue uniformed version on up to an Explorer Scout associate leader, I never experienced anything untoward nor did I see or hear evidence of such. None of my three male siblings have ever alluded to anything inappropriate either.

What about you Hatari?

Any other former Scouts here experience a "come on" or invitation to sleep in the leader's tent?

Scouting could still have a place in today's world, should there be enough interest and should the feeding frenzy over the incidences of perversion not be promoted as the "norm" in Scouts. Unfortunately, I don't think the interest is there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by TimZ
I am impressed the woman survived for two weeks out there; would like to know the story behind that......

The story may end up not being what it seems.

Originally Posted by Potsy
I don’t think the girl in Utah was lost, but I don’t think she wanted to be found. Apparently, however, she did want to live.

^^^^THIS^^^^
I smell an attempt at a book deal. Leaves no info on where she is going...etc...leaves cell phone behind, jobless, anonymous "tip" on whereabouts immediately finds her.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple things here.

I used to hike with my Dad in Glacier Park. He was a hunter, pretty hard core for a few years until he got what he wanted. But we'd tend to take the steepest routes with the biggest rewards, heading out at O Dark. One thing that struck me when we'd get closer to civilization was the lack of appropriate gear by the vast majority of other "hikers" we'd be meeting on our way back. Sandals? Flipflops? No water. Oh, but they'd have that can of bear whiz, you betcha.

As for navigation, again, Dad was an exemplar because he'd been a pilot. We both loved maps, and when I'd "copilot" because there was an extra seat on a one-way charter, all the way back he'd hit me with "Where are we? What's that river? What light is that?" If I didn't respond immediately, I didn't get to fly any more. So I got pretty good at it. Some years later on a transcontinental airline flight was double overcast, I figured we were over Wyoming somewhere and there was a gap in the clouds, I looked at the pattern of snowdrifts and pinged the stewardess: "Could you ask the pilot if we just went over Rock Springs?" She goes up, comes back with her eyes wide open, and says, "Yep we did. How did you do that?" Well, I could see the ground for like 30 seconds and that was enough.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.