Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Why are folks on this forum always changing their rifle equipment up as frequent as changing underwear? Surely it not because the equipment is worn out. Is it marketing, or just wanting something different? My belongings for the most part are old and I keep them for decades. Im just wondering why folks switch up rifles with such frequency. I notice this amongst the younger bowbunting folks as well. Is it an arms or equipment race? Is there all that much gained by getting rid of an excellent Kimber Montana and getting something else. Im curious about this.

Recently I picked up a used left hand Ruger 30-06 because I simply wanted one and I didn't have a 30-06 sporting rifle. My main hunting rifle remains my Ruger Scout or the Ruger compact 338RCM. Nothing has changes there because I just dont need to change anything. But I was in actual need of an common 30-06 for recreation purpose and its a very common rifle worldwide. Left hand rifles aren't the easiest to come across. Also as I picked up this one I divested myself of a few others that got no use and were sitting around so it was actually not a loss and I'm still down two more than previous for less clutter.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s cheaper than changing wives. LOL

Variety, looks. Versatility, Specific purpose et.al.

Similar to wives. Grin

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/19/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because, for me anyways, it's a hobby. So, I buy something new; tinker with it maybe, shoot it at the range, kill something with it and move it along in the Classifieds.

I do the exact same with scopes, binos, etc.

Bow fanatics are hardcore. They buy a new model every year chasing perfection.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Rifles are the only thing I switch out frequently. The rest of my gear is held onto until complete failure with the occasional exception on tents. For me it’s about trying new platforms and calibers. I’m in a constant state of wanting to try something new (to me). I don’t NEED to sell or buy something but I WANT to, to try the next thing. I’ve sold and/or traded off a lot of firearms for this simple reason. There’s a few I hold on to but it’s a short list. I guess the best way to describe it is like always wanting to know what’s beyond the next ridge!?

I’ll add that it’s not a pursuit of perfection for me. It’s a pursuit of curiosity. If it goes bang and an animal falls dead then that’s already perfection.

Last edited by Nashville; 10/19/20.

Pitter Patter!
IC B2

H
H
The reason I'm looking is because I've always wanted to get a high end scope, which now has me thinking of a higher end rifle. Been using the same A Bolt I bought 30 years ago and just want to get something different. Having said that, I'm also torn because my Browning still shoots plenty well and I don't plan to retire it. Therefore, I want to get me something better optically to put on it.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Cuz I'm retired ('17). Previously used the same bullets and ballistics (2 very similar .300s) for about 30 years. Decided to scratch the .375 itch, also mess with different bullets. Life is short.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because I get bored. Everyday I go to the same job and do the same things then I come home and kiss the same wife for the last 26 years. I live in the same town I grew up in. I hunt the same stuff every year in the same mountains as when I was a kid. At least I get to swap for new and exciting guns. Now excuse me while I go shoot myself since I've just come to realize how monotonous my life really is.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Because I want to.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Mainly for bullet testing, particularly the ones I drew up a mold for and use non [harder] standard alloys, '74 Sharps and original '86 Winchester rifles with cast lead bullets and black powder will keep me happily busy till I die ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Because I want to.

Because I can!

ya!

GWB

Actually if purchased at a value, one can typically make a profit when he sells. If one was to buy a new pick-em-up truck for say 70K drive out (T,T, &L included) , put 10,000 down and finance the balance at say 5% for 6 years, your monthly payment will be about $966 per month. That does not include insurance, you will pay about $9,573 in interest, for a total payment of $69,573 and change.

Now if one was to buy a rifle for say 40% to $60% of MSRP and spend $1,000 to do so, at the end of the same 72 month period he would have 72 rifles that most likely he could get his money back if not make a profit.

That truck that was new six years ago will probably be worth $15 to $20K

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/19/20.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Because, for me anyways, it's a hobby. So, I buy something new; tinker with it maybe, shoot it at the range, kill something with it and move it along in the Classifieds.

If I wasn't married, I'd be buying a new bow yearly for sure. I would rather bow hunt than gun hunt. The wife can't stand me talking about buying a new bow, but guns she could care less. I'm probably averaging a new bow every 6 years at this point. Of course I went several years with no bow while still on AD and moving every 3-4 years.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had a bunch over the years.
Kinda figured out what i like and what I need.
Custom ruger #1 and Im done.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like rifles, have plenty of surplus discretionary income, time to indulge myself, and I like to try new things.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not into selling and trading just to get something different at this point. I do like to add a new rifle or shotgun when I have the opportunity. A quality rifle and scope in a new caliber, reload for it and get it shooting really well (non-shooters do go down the road) then I have a setup waiting to be grabbed. Just depends on my attitude and where I'm hunting as to what gets the call. My wife is the daughter and grand-daughter of LEO's so when she finds somethung she likes I end up putting something together for her. Its a win-win except for the savings. At this point no plans for anything new but that is subject to change without notice.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Why are folks on this forum always changing their rifle equipment up as frequent as changing underwear? Surely it not because the equipment is worn out. Is it marketing, or just wanting something different? My belongings for the most part are old and I keep them for decades. Im just wondering why folks switch up rifles with such frequency. I notice this amongst the younger bowbunting folks as well. Is it an arms or equipment race? Is there all that much gained by getting rid of an excellent Kimber Montana and getting something else. Im curious about this.

Recently I picked up a used left hand Ruger 30-06 because I simply wanted one and I didn't have a 30-06 sporting rifle. My main hunting rifle remains my Ruger Scout or the Ruger compact 338RCM. Nothing has changes there because I just dont need to change anything. But I was in actual need of an common 30-06 for recreation purpose and its a very common rifle worldwide. Left hand rifles aren't the easiest to come across. Also as I picked up this one I divested myself of a few others that got no use and were sitting around so it was actually not a loss and I'm still down two more than previous for less clutter.

You sound suspiciously like a rifle equipment changer....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by skeen

If I wasn't married, I'd be buying a new bow yearly for sure. I would rather bow hunt than gun hunt. The wife can't stand me talking about buying a new bow, but guns she could care less. I'm probably averaging a new bow every 6 years at this point. Of course I went several years with no bow while still on AD and moving every 3-4 years.

Ha, I was just telling the local pro shop owner last week while he was setting up my new Mathews VXR 31.5 that I bought a new bow (a Bear whitetail Hunter I think?) in '91 when I was a Spec4 with a young family.
It was $89 dollars, ready to hunt.
And, brother, let me tell you, $89 bucks back then seemed like all the money in the world. smile

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I haven't bought a centerfire rifle in years and not a new one in decades. That said I have a pretty good selection that I randomly choose from. An example is my 9.3x62 that has been hunted once in 2002 in Africa. A couple of years ago I took an FN Supreme 30-06 that I bought twenty years ago on its first outing to Namibia. Next year I will be heading to northern BC (deferred from this year) for goat, moose and elk and will be taking a M700 I had rebored decades ago and was last hunted in SW BC on grizzly and black bear circa 2008. I just like the random use of what I own. One thing I do not do much of is chase the latest in powders. I have a load for each of what I own and continue to use said load.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rifles are my main hobby. I like to tinker with them, assemble a combination, then sometimes they stay, sometimes they move on. Occasionally, I’ll try out a new cartridge, but for hunting I see very little difference in them, so new ones are those that offer something else, like faster standard twist or a more compact or lighter platform, such as the 6.5 Grendel and 6 CM. Since I have a bit more cash than previously, lately I’ve also picked up a couple of nice Mausers and finally a nice lever action I always wanted. I’m getting up there in age a bit, so light rifles are becoming a priority because they make it easier to drag my old, creaky azz around the woods.

My Grendel, the second one I’ve owned, is a real gem. I can see this one staying to the bitter end after the others have been passed on to others or sold. It’s accurate, cheap and easy to load, and pleasant to shoot. It’s going to get a lighter scope and maybe a lighter stock as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.