Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Most of my local friends look at me funny when I tell them we drew antelope tags for eastern Montana again. The thought of driving past hundreds of antelope, some of which I see on an almost daily basis, to go shoot different antelope 297 miles away is a concept that is hard to for them to get their head around. I don’t even bother trying to explain it. You either get it or you don’t.

Once antelope hunting gets in your blood it seems to settle in pretty hard and not only are the draw odds better out east but there is something about going on a trip that is more memorable then tipping over an animal in your back yard. At least to me. For us, it has become even more memorable when our neighbors and good friends moved back to the family ranch. We now head back annually to reconnect with them and spend a couple days on their ranch filling tags and enjoying the time together. It has truly become a family affair with many stalks made under the watchful eyes of kids as young as two.

I confess that somewhere between Grassrange and Jordan I usually start questioning just how much fun this is really going to be. However, the miles are distant memories as soon as we hit our hunting area on Friday and start scouting out familiar grain fields and rough pastures.

When I hunt new places there is a certain anxiety that comes hand in hand with the excitement as trail conditions, access, game populations/dispersions, etc. are all unknown variables that add to the fabric of the hunt. Although I have no plans to stop planning new adventures in unfamiliar places, the growing familiarity of this annual event eliminates that anxiety and makes this one of the most enjoyable and laid back trips of the year. We have been doing this long enough that when we talk to our rancher friend references like “the sanfoin”, “Our Bins”, “Jerry’s place”, “Grandmas’s Place”or the “Jon Tester field” mean something and we each know exactly what the other is referring to.

Last week we arrived as usual on Friday and made a quick trip through the parts of the ranch accessible from public roads. We found a few antelope but the herds seemed to be smaller and more scattered then usual. I was good with that. Small, scattered groups give more options and less eyes to deal with. One of the keys to efficient antelope hunting is knowing which groups simply aren’t worth messing with. We had enough spotted to give us a place to start the next morning.

Saturday morning we were making our way to the ranch just at daybreak. Right on the edge of the ranch boundary was a decent buck all by his lonesome working his way straight toward the property line. We drove into the ranch out of sight and tried to get to a place we could hide the truck and make the stalk on foot. I misread the terrain and when I stood on the running boards of the truck to try to spot him he already had us pegged. He wasn’t spooked but wasn’t coming closer either.

My wife and I hopped out and snuck around out of sight, leaving the truck in view for the antelope to focus on. When we popped over a small rise we were 250 yards away but he was still about 10 steps from the fence, locked in place. He eventually tired of the stand off, turned around and headed back the way he came. If I had parked a couple hundred yards back we probably would already have had him in the truck.

We ventured on and got to another spot on the ranch we usually see antelope. We were pulling up to a bin site we typically glass from. Right as I crested the rise, I saw the familiar orange and white pattern and quickly backed down the hill. With seven tags between my family and our friends I was not intending to be picky for myself. My standard MO is to get someone else in position, let them shoot and then take whatever presents itself. That is pretty much exactly how it has worked the past several years, it is also why I have never killed a decent antelope. My son loves to hunt coyotes so he was good with tagging out as quickly as possible so we could go calling smile

My son was up in the rotation so him and I snuck up to the bin site and worked around a small shed. There was a decent little buck away from the main group about 130 yards from the shed, a chip shot for him with his M77 .25-06. I worked to the other side of the shed where I could see the rest of the group at about 200 yards.

At his shot I saw his fold up so I turned my attention to the group. They ran to about 275 yards and milled. A small bucked cleared the herd and I figured if he was willing to volunteer as tribute I would accommodate. He was very slightly quartering to. The 150 grain Hornady Spire point from my .30 Gibbs entered just left of center and he made a mad dash over a small rise and out of site. He was piled in a heap within 40 yards of the impact site, the Hornady clipping his heart, part of the lungs, and exiting the rear flank.

My sons buck had also been quartering, but more sharply. His 120 speer BTSP entered just behind the onside shoulder and exited the rear flank.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After a couple pictures we drove to a high spot to get them in a cooler (it was forecast to be 80 degrees and only getting into the 50s at night) and do some glassing. I found a small group of antelope out in some cattle in a tough spot to get on them. My wife and daughter kept an eye on them while my boys and I worked on the processing.

My son and I had rigged up a receiver mounted skinning pole with some scraps and parts from previous projects. It is a little redneck but worked well and we soon had both antelope skinned and the quarters and backstraps on ice.

While working on that the antelope had drifted out of sight so we drove a few miles around to see if we could get a better look at them. They weren’t where we were expected so we drove into the field. As was the theme all morning, I drove a hair too far and spotted them about ½ mile south of us. We quickly backed up and drove around to hide the pickup and start the stalk on foot. When we worked to where they should have been they were gone so we got back in the truck to start over.

We kept heading south in the field and quickly spooked them as they had simply drifted a couple hundred yards over a small rise. It was futile to try to get closer so rather then risk running them we let them trot off and anticipated where they were heading. As luck would have it they were on a collision course for the spot we had just butchered there cousins at. We turned the truck around and the kids learned that if you point your tires with the seed rows you can get a ¾ ton pickup close to 50 miles an hour without too rough of a ride.

We made it to the field we expected to ambush them in but about two minutes late. They were just cresting the rise as we were about to park the pickup. They made a sweeping arc around us and stopped. We were already out of the truck and I got my wife set up on her bipod. The 6mm-06 was set up for long range shooting and the antelope gave me time to get a good range and dial her scope. We confirmed the range several times and I was certain she was stable. 530 yards was the range, the wind was essentially straight away at a zero value so I told her to send it. A cloud of dust erupted past the antelope and much higher then I expected. They took off and left us wondering what happened.

I looked at the turret then looked at my dope chart again which I had taped to my range finder.

Now is a great time for a pro tip: If you are going to put your dope on your rangefinder, be sure to only put one rifle’s dope on there or clearly mark which chart is for which gun. Turns out the drops for a 150 flat base at 2950 is considerably more then a 95 LRX doing 3375. I had chose the wrong chart and she sent that bullet a solid foot or more over the back of a pretty nice buck.

I blamed her for marrying an idiot. She agreed.

At the shot that group was hitting gears that will ruin flavor so we left them alone and went searching for another. It didn’t take long and we found a loner working his way through a rough pasture. My wife, son and I bailed out of the truck and had my daughter and older son keep driving so the antelope had something to focus on.

It worked. He watched the truck for a while, got tired and layed down. We got to a point where we had a stable rock to shoot from at 389 yards. To get closer would put us within 100 yards and maybe too close for a supported shot due to the shallow contour of the land. We made the decision to try to take him from there. He was not aware of us and looked like he might be there for the long haul. We had lots of time to study him. He looked really heavy but not super tall.

If I was by myself I would have just settled in and waited for him to make the next move. I know my wife pretty well by now and laying on rough ground for long periods of time is not her strong suit. We decided to try to get the buck on his feet. A few howls and distress sounds with a predator call should have done the trick but he didn’t move a muscle. My son volunteered to stand up but my wife quickly shot down that idea because she thought he might bolt. I suggested she get on the scope and we would call a bit more.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
While she was looking at him through the scope I signaled for my son to stand up. He silently laughed and did as instructed. He started waving his arms and the buck promptly stood up and within seconds my wife touched off the rifle and sent the 95 LRX through him broadside. At the shot, a pile of hair was scattered in the wind on his far side and he immediately hit the ground.

Antelope are real susceptible to ground shrinkage but this one actually got better as we got closer. Our initial evaluation was correct, no super tall but HEAVY with great cutters. He carried his mass well and was a beautiful animal.

We met our friends on the road and quickly processed the goat. They had spotted a couple other bucks on the way into the ranch on neighboring land and had got permission to go after them. This group was feeding in some rolling country with the herd spread out a couple hundred yards. We were confident we could get on them but it would be luck of the draw weather the bigger of the two bucks would be visible before the others saw us.

We parked and my daughter and our eight month pregnant friend Dawn were up to shoot. We got fairly close and I peaked my head over the rise and saw an antelope doe working into a small saddle. Rather then risk blowing the whole herd, my daughter and I left the others and belly crawled as far as we could. We made it to where we could see antelope and had enough contour to shoot. The smaller of the two bucks had worked to the front of the herd and he was broadside at 130 yards. My daughter was hesitant to shoot as she wanted the bigger one. No pressure from me as I figured it was her tag and her deal. She ultimately decided to take him and with the rifle already on the bipod sat up and sent a 120 ballistic tip right behind his shoulder from her little Ruger 7mm-08. He hit the ground and never twitched.

The other goats ran around confused and the bigger buck trotted out from a small fold in the terrain. We signaled for the others to come up and the buck milled just long enough for Dawn to get in position to shoot. As you can imagine, at 8 months pregnant prone wasn’t a great option so she stayed sitting and leaned against me for support. At 225 yards and slightly quartering face on the buck too the 95 LRX through the chest and it exited the flank. He dropped immediately and the does took off.

Seconds later he was up again and made it a few steps before he was out of site. He looked hurt so I didn’t expect him to run far. The does appeared a few hundred yards further out in the field and he was not with them. We walked to where he was first hit and found him piled about about 15 yards away. The last shot of adrenaline gave him a few steps but that was it.

A second double for the day and it was a real family affair with four adults and five kids getting to take part in the action.

Bacon wrapped backstraps, nachos, and leftover pizza made for a pretty good feast that night.

The next morning the wind was howling and our enthusiasm was pretty low. My crew was all tagged out and my rancher buddy Tate is extremely picky and never super motivated to fill his tag. Dawn knew that her hunting days were numbered this year so planned on filling her doe tag if something accessible showed up. We found a couple bucks early on but nothing that really turned his crank. There were plenty of does but nothing within easy waddling…I mean walking…distance of a pregnant lady.

We had just about decided to call it a day so that we could get packed up for the drive home. On the way out of the ranch we drove back to the spot my son and I had doubled the previous morning and found a small herd tucked into a small fold in the ground a few hundred yards from the same bin site. There was a buck in the group but from what I could see looked pretty small other than having some nice cutters. I didn’t think he would break 13” and didn’t have much mass.

Both took off after the group and my wife and I watched from behind a barn. The plan when they left was for Dawn to simply peak over the stubble and shoot the first doe that gave a good shot. When we watched them approach, we saw Tate line up and I figured there must have been a better buck then what we thought. A fair amount of shooting ensued and when the smoke cleared Tate had his buck and Dawn had her doe. Turns out he had seen the buck laying right beside another antelope and the way their heads were situated made the buck look way taller than he actually was. Definite ground shrinkage on that one and he will likely have to endure several years of ribbing over his field judging skills.

At that we were tagged out and we headed home with another season of memories and coolers full of meat. Can’t wait to do it again next year assuming the MT FWP lottery gods are accommodating.

Thanks for coming along...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow
Wow
Wow
et.al.

Enjoyed. Thnx for sharing.

You did better than she........marrying !
LOL. LOL

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Man, what a great story and wonderful pictures! That's what it's all about. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share it! All those pics of family and taken animals bring a huge smile to my face and warmth to my heart! Your wife's buck is definitely a trophy in my book.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome write up! Congrats to everyone involved.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good times and very well done!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love it!! Congrats to everyone - antelope hunting is just too much fun not to have a great time!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Great story and fun times.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats on the successful hunt and thanks for the great story. And kudos for antelope hunting the RIGHT way - spot & stalk, not run & gun!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work Jud, that goat your commander killed is a hammer! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Enjoyed your story and pictures, congrats to all.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent all around. You’ve got it figured out with that skinning pole and lab coat and apron.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fun! I love when we have a pile of licenses for a good ole time in antelope country. I think our record was like 14 over a 3 day weekend or something like that

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Beyond cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MedRiver

I blamed her for marrying an idiot. She agreed.

Great hunt and pics, man! By the way, we've all blamed our wife for that a time, or two. And, mine too, generally agrees. wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congratulations, looks like you'll be eating well for a while.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
What a great trip, thanks for the write up and photos, fun stuff.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Awesome recap! Thanks for taking us with you. This Kentucky deer hunter hopes for an opportunity to antelope hunt one day.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.