Campfire Ranger
Why not?

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

oldpinecricker, We’ve got a few firearms at the house, but, for myself......one hunting rifle since 1990. The only changes in that time.....a change of bullets, and went to a slightly higher power scope 6 or 8 years ago. And the wife, only one hunting rifle since 1995. But, I believe that we are different than most! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's an expensive addiction where we get to brag and show all our new wonder gun that will not get used all that much as we revert back to an old favourite.

As we get older, most of us begin to see the futility in such spending and start to downsize, or at least talk about downsizing. The last couple three years I've been owning less but what I have added to the safe are nice classics that I appreciate more than the un-used M700 lego-guns that take up space. I sold one such lego-gun today in an effort to own less.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=jwall]It’s cheaper than changing wives. LOL

Variety, looks. Versatility, Specific purpose et.al.

Similar to wives. Grin
-----------------------------------------

Most answers fall into one or more of the above reasons.

More specifically for myself.

I never paid attention to rifle WEIGHT <until> 1981 or 82 and the Win 70 xtr (actual) Featherweight hit the market
along with the Ruger 77 UL in 20" bll. THOSE pushed me off the slope and I SLUD for a number of years.

Also whenever Rem brought out the NEW Model Six I loved the beauty.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

*** mind you I didn't buy them all at one time or w/in 2 years. ***

one of the Sixes is 6mm Rem, 1 is 270 Win, & 1 is 30-06 (1 is 270 now belongs to my Son)

In 2003 I bought the First Tikka T3 Lite SS I ever saw. LIGHT, LIGHT>

270 on R, at the time I didn't know 'how' new the T3 Lite model was.

7mm RM on L came along in 2018

Altho I really like good Walnut & Blue
Composite & SS win the day for practicality. Blame Skeeter Skelton for that.

AS someone else said, Guns/rifles ( shooting, & hunting) was my ONLY hobby for many years.

I do like variety. That's as concise as I can be.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Why are folks on this forum always changing their rifle equipment up as frequent as changing underwear? Surely it not because the equipment is worn out. Is it marketing, or just wanting something different? My belongings for the most part are old and I keep them for decades. Im just wondering why folks switch up rifles with such frequency. I notice this amongst the younger bowbunting folks as well. Is it an arms or equipment race? Is there all that much gained by getting rid of an excellent Kimber Montana and getting something else. Im curious about this.

Recently I picked up a used left hand Ruger 30-06 because I simply wanted one and I didn't have a 30-06 sporting rifle. My main hunting rifle remains my Ruger Scout or the Ruger compact 338RCM. Nothing has changes there because I just dont need to change anything. But I was in actual need of an common 30-06 for recreation purpose and its a very common rifle worldwide. Left hand rifles aren't the easiest to come across. Also as I picked up this one I divested myself of a few others that got no use and were sitting around so it was actually not a loss and I'm still down two more than previous for less clutter.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I really ask this because I can see maybe upgrading an optic or an accessory if needed but im in my late 40's and have been downsizing what I have because of excessive inventory and if there's something I want I will sell off two to get some thing different and I won't spend more than I sell off. Ive placed this on myself.

I think it came about because I've realized nearly anything I need done is easily done with my Ruger scout rifle and the 338RCM compact rifle, and classic leverguns. I dont really need more but yes I can understand an optic, a binos or something like that. But most of the time I think its an equipment arms race for many. Back when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's I dont remember peoples having much and used to see old winchester lever actions, old surplus bolt actions, and old Savage 99 rifles used by folks who had these items for decades or they were handed down generational. Today it seems different. I think some of it is internet caused and some is pushed by sporting journals and advertising. Anyway, I find the fact that some spend multi thousands annually on this is interesting.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don’t change much, just get more. I love variety. I’m bad about coveting something I don’t have also. I’m always looking for something new.

Last edited by hanco; 10/20/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cause there's too many enablers on this forum!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I,ve had a good turnover on my arsenal. Most of my rifles are for specific uses,,ai, spring brown bear,fall brown bear, yard rifles (think darkness),moose in the timber (unit 19), penisula moose,moose hunting here, trapping rifles, bait station trapping rifle, etc,etc.

I was always too busy guiding to hunt sheep but alway's had 1 or 2 hanging around in case.

I've had a few rifles that others have simply had to have and have sold or traded to open up another rifle quest for myself. There's a 500 Big Horn Armory here that I was getting bored with but about a week ago at midnight it layed a good sized brown out that has been a monumental PITA for a few years and brought his act here!

Lots of regretfull rifle deal, ai, 2 Sako Forrestors, about a dozen pre-64's,etc

I tend to use more than enough gun
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The classifieds here are a dangerous place. Skyrocketing shipping costs have curtailed my buying/selling/trading urges. I'm feeling pretty content with my current stash. I hope it stays this way.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
1. Fun
2. We are Americans
3. Helps keep folks employed

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Freedom, liberty, pursuit of something, something

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Freedom, liberty, pursuit of something, something

Aw, c'mon, man. You know the thing... laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Why not?

Exactly.

1. It's a fun hobby.
2. I like to play with different toys.
3. My tastes, desires and needs have changed over time.
4. It's cheaper and safer than cigarettes, booze, bars, drugs, cars, motorcycles or wimmen.
5. I can afford it.

That said, I'm particular about what I buy. About and maybe over half my firearms were acquired gently used. After the kids were out of of the house I added a couple lever guns to my one-gun collection of hunting rifles. After they were out of college I added a safe full of them, along with a variety of handguns. My most recent acquisition was a beat-up Savage 111GNS in 7mm RM with a barrel that was rusty and pitted inside and out. That was in January of 2019. I stripped the barrel off , had the action Cerakoted and added a rail. Kept the birch stock. The plan was to build a 6.5PRC. Probably still will, but I'm in no hurry and there are other possibilities. I purchased a stripped, standard .473" bolt head and the parts to complete it. Now my options are any cartridge with .30-06 or 7mm RM sized case head,

Thought about a 385 Ruger but my desire to hunt where I might need such a cartridge is pretty limited and if I did get one I want a Ruger. Pretty much mixed the 375 Ruger as an option. Don't need another "elk" rifle, either, and as I get older I prefer lighter recoiling rifles. Currently have sporter-weight bolts in .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .280 Rem, 7mm RM, various .30's and a .338WM, with heavies in 6.5CM and 6.5-06AI. In addition to the 6.5PRC I’ve been considering a 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, .270 Win, .280 AI, 28 Nosler and 300 PRC, all with sporter weight barrels.

Going to an AIC .338LM magazine has also been considered, but the cost of doing so kind of defeats my original goal ogfa great shooter as cheap as possible, the “cheap” part being a challenge and part of the fun. Right now I could spin on a match grade barrel and still be around $600.

In any case, there is no hurry and considering the options is part of the fun. At best, nothing will happen with it until sometime next year. Unless I decide to paint the stock. Maybe red, white and blue with yellow lightning bolts?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do it for variety and spice of life. After about 20 years of being a certified rifle looney, I have come to the conclusions about what I like and what I need a rifle to do. As I have entered my 50's, it is easier to read about new stuff and not want to play with it.

I have gotten hours and hours of enjoyment out of this lifestyle/journey.

Life has changed in a good way and now my time and resources are being directed towards conservation and habitat improvement on some family property Along with a grandson being born last January,. Priorities have certainly changed. grin For the better I might add.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Nashville
Rifles are the only thing I switch out frequently. The rest of my gear is held onto until complete failure with the occasional exception on tents. For me it’s about trying new platforms and calibers. I’m in a constant state of wanting to try something new (to me). I don’t NEED to sell or buy something but I WANT to, to try the next thing. I’ve sold and/or traded off a lot of firearms for this simple reason. There’s a few I hold on to but it’s a short list. I guess the best way to describe it is like always wanting to know what’s beyond the next ridge!?

I’ll add that it’s not a pursuit of perfection for me. It’s a pursuit of curiosity. If it goes bang and an animal falls dead then that’s already perfection.

This sums it up for me. I like to try different rifles/scopes/equipment, shoot them, use them, see what I like/what I don't like. I enjoy using rifles and scopes.....evaluate the good/bad and see how they work out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't realize there is a "switch out", for me, it's always been "add in". grin

Last edited by KeithNyst; 10/20/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have tried several rifles in several calibers. More than just buying new rifles, I have improved my old ones with new barrels and triggers. I really have no need for more rifles, especially in lieu of the high cost and poor availability of reloading components. I have all the cartridges covered that I could ever hope to need and indeed, I need to probably ditch a couple that are not being used much.

I am more intrigued by upgraded scopes, than I am a new rifle. A rifle is not a picture to hang on the wall, but for me, is nothing more than a tool. It works, or get rid of it.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm being honest, I'm still searching for Rifle Nirvana. A big piece of RN for me is simplicity. I'm getting cranky in my old age and am getting to a place where constant tinkering is driving me nuts trying to get itsy bitsy groups from a sporter weight rifle shooting hunting bullets. My latest definition of RN is an accurate, read sub MOA, 2 rifle battery that covers my hunting needs from antelope to elk, weighs 7 to 7.75 lbs with repeatable tracking scope attached.

It exists in several forms but I remain searching for some #$@^#^$ reason. I'm hoping to find "it" before I die cool

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

1. It's a fun hobby.
2. I like to play with different toys.
3. My tastes, desires and needs have changed over time.
4. It's cheaper and safer than cigarettes, booze, bars, drugs, cars, motorcycles or wimmen.
5. I can afford it.

Pretty much. If I had 5 times the income I have, I'd likely do the same with automobiles.

I do have a couple of old favorites and a few "sensible" rifles that are really all I'd need to get it done, but I enjoy the process of scouting out something new and getting results.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.