Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I am looking at doing my first ever elk hunt next year. I've lived my entire life near sea level and am in okay shape (not overweight) for someone in their early 70s. So, I'm wondering if this is doable, or is it too late for me.

GB1

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It's doable, but having a 4 wheeler and someone younger to help pack it out will be a big bonus. An elk is a big animal, even gutting it alone is a bit of work, best to have a hunting partner or 2.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I say it's totally doable. It's all logistics . If you want to hunt elk , I think you should hunt elk! There are guided hunts, some from cabins or lodges, others are backcountry. There are non-guided hunts, drop camps, and everyone's favorite the do it yourself. If it were me at your age ( I am pert near 62) and had the money I would invest somewhere in a guided hunt. I have a myriad of dudes and chikas I could mooch off of in the high country from my years of packing and guiding for outfitters so I would not have to go that route. I am sure some of these old farts who hunt elk will chime in, there is much experience around here from my perusings.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's definitely doable, especially if you can get access to private land through an outfitter or landowner tag, that's the route I'd go. Finding elk is the hard part, and if you're hunting public land you'll probably need to put on some miles to find 'em, which gets harder as you age. And then pack'em out, which requires some help like MOW said.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I definitely have only a guided hunt in mind but I want a real mountain hunt, not a game ranch where you shoot at elk in a field. But I'm not sure I can handle the altitude of a mountain hunt.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by postoak
I definitely have only a guided hunt in mind but I want a real mountain hunt, not a game ranch where you shoot at elk in a field. But I'm not sure I can handle the altitude of a mountain hunt.

There are many places that have elk on high country ranches that are "a real mountain hunt", but will cater to your situation if your check-writing skills are up to par. Your best bet is to talk to a few guides based on others' recommendations, and find one who meets your needs. If you can get around at sea level, you won't be suddenly crippled at the altitudes you'll find elk, at least in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, or New Mexico. I don't know about Colorado.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Anybody want to recommend someone?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Go do it!! Nothing like being in the high country in the fall.

I'm 75, live at sea level and harvested a 6X6 bull with an archery tag in AZ three weeks ago. Last week I hunted with my 10 yr old and 12 year old grandsons in AZ during the youth cow hunt. The 10 year old got a cow and the 12 year old never got close enough to shoot. Both had bulls screaming at them at less than 50 yards.
Both hunts were at 7000 ft and I still got around but keeping up with kids that age can be a challenge.
If you don't have elk points then look at NM for a guided hunt, Utah for a cow hunt, or maybe CO.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 72 and my hunting partner is 75. Yes, we still hunt the high steep stuff...but with reservations. We live at about 4k so we have a big advantage over someone from sea level. The only way to get acclimated to high altitude is to spend time there. The biggest issue is the aforementioned problem of getting several hundred lb of meat from the corpse back to camp. I solved that with llamas but I realize that those are a specialty thing, unavailable to most hunters. How much can you carry on your back and how many times can you repeat it?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I am leery to recommend anyone from my neck of the woods as the woods are dead up there and on fire. As someone from this site was inquiring about booking a hunt at C lazy U, which is located in Granby, Colorado. Beautiful setting, lots of elk (it's not a game ranch), but right now the E. Troublesome fire is right across the highway from them.....just saying! They probably have a lot of scared elk on the ranches they hunt right now! Rocky Mountain Elk foundation used to have a list of reputable outfitters to choose from (all over the western U.S.) and there is another way to inquire about that but it escapes me right now.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I am 77. In 2018, I killed a big 6x bull at 11,000 feet on a solo hunt. Just me, my saddle mule, and my pack mule.I live at 7600 feet but 11,000 is almost another mile higher.

There are enough options out there that you can do it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I just turned 74 and have a hunt scheduled in December.

Be upfront with the outfitter when you talk to them about your age and condition.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Every year I do an annual late season elk hunt with one of my grandfathers in the foothills here in AB. This year he turned 81. He doesn’t put in as many miles each day as I do of course but he’s still going strong and at about 5’7” and over 200lbs, he’s not what you’d call in shape.

Another grandfather (79) still hunts lake season elk as well with his long time hunting partner (same age). They stick to private land where land owners will allow them to drive up to something they shoot. A small winch at the back of the box and a sheet of plywood allows them to load whatever they get.

Pitter Patter!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm 72 and had COVID this year. I am still going on my 40th hunt this year. So you can do it. As for an outfitter, the ones I would recommend are already booked for next year. While I doubt she will have a cancellation, try Jeanne Horne with J Bar H Outfitters in GMU 12. She is outstanding and if you can get in with her you will be lucky. Good Luck.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve booked a hunt or so through John Andre at Shoshone Wilderness Adventures and found him to be straight up and reliable. It’s his business to know how to pair folks up and rather than going blind, it’s worth talking with him. Just my $.02

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=ro1459]I'm 72 and had COVID this year. I am still going on my 40th hunt this year. So you can do it. As for an outfitter, the ones I would recommend are already booked for next year. While I doubt she will have a cancellation, try Jeanne Horne with J Bar H Outfitters in GMU 12. She is outstanding and if you can get in with her you will be lucky. Good Luck. [/quote

Jeanne does have two drop camps down lower ,about 9000 feet.She does not do hunts out of here base camp anymore. Her fully guide hunts are up higher.I fully recommend her.I hunt around her lower camp areas for cows, ML. great lady. My two mules came from her and she has one I raised on her string.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Jeanne Horne is solid from all accounts, I always wanted to hunt the flattops.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks, I've contacted Jeanne.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
About 5 yeats ago I went elk hunting with my grandpa. He lives in Portland and was 92 at the time and is on medications to keep his heart rate down due to having open heart surgery years ago.
It's entirely doable if a person is up for the task.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As an observation, I find many of you guys a great inspiration. I hope to be roaming elk mountains in my 70s. Keep on keeping on.

To the OP, I think horses will become your best friends. Depending on your physical conditioning, a drop camp will get you into good elk country and you can literally be hunting from the tent. A guided hunt works as well. Talk to outfitters and be honest about your capabilities. And get in better physical condition. I tell everyone I take - there is no such thing as being in too good of condition in the elk woods. I've found physical conditioning is the limiting factor for guys of all ages. The better condition, the longer youll hunt and more comfortable you'll be.

I'd also suggest setting the goal of hunting elk in the mountains, if you get an elk - bonus! My group has gone to taking every 3rd or 4th day off to rest and eat 10,000 calories. Id also suggest shooting any legal elk on your first trip. Youll be back for more trips cool

Bottom line: Just go elk hunting and enjoy the experience. Worst case scenario - you spend a week doing armed hiking in some of the most beautiful country God created.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,731
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.