Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

It seems that any more there is always a reason for the panic buying of ammunition/components - Covid-19 Panic, Pre-Election Panic, Post-Election Panic if the results are unfavorable. Were we always this enlightened and well-prepared? Were shelves instantly swept clean due to events (real and potential) in years past, say during the last half of the twentieth century?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
No it wasn’t like this before credit cards. People still don’t have the cash but they have cards. That’s also why all the restaurants are full . Kinda sad really. Edk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also blame the Internet for instant disinformation access and the media's constant need to overhype everything into the worst disaster of all time.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not young, but younger than many here and I can remember 2 previous reloading shortages. 1st was in the wake of the 1994 assault weapons ban. 2nd was in the wake of O'blammy's election.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It has been like this since the Libtards have been trying to take guns and ammo away from the unwashed masses.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntz
It has been like this since the Libtards have been trying to take guns and ammo away from the unwashed masses.
That started in America before the Rev. War when the British were trying to disarm the colonists. It's what got us the 2d Amendment 10 years later.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I wasn't looking at gun prices much until 1974. But then, & a few more years, most S&W's for instance, were very hard to get with prices of many models at double retail. I don't know if that was left over from the gun control act if '68, or elections at the time. Both?

The Clinton years were crazy for many items, but one distinct memory was primers. They nearly dried up over night. Hi cap mags, if you could find them were double to 4 times retail.

Everybody here should know of the events during Obama.

This time around has multiple causes for stocking up. Not just an election, or riots, or pandemics but Theo Gallis pretty much nailed it. More/faster info, excessive doom & gloom coupled with misinformation.

I'll preach it again. Fake news & even the media in general is the root of most fears, panics, disorientation & just plain screwed up attitudes of so many.

Last edited by gunzo; 10/20/20.
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunzo
...I'll preach it again. Fake news & even the media in general is the root of most fears, panics, disorientation & just plain screwed up attitudes of so many.

And yet, even those who realize this and know better buy into the panic and fears.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You think this is bad....read up on the Tulip craze of the 1920's.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Things should be caught up by the end of the world. grin

I look for it to level off by Dec.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I thought that was in the 1620s?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
I also blame the Internet for instant disinformation access and the media's constant need to overhype everything into the worst disaster of all time.
EXACTLY....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I thought that was in the 1620s?

You're right...I had a brain fart. Seems like it reached its peak later though, around 1640. I can't figure out what I was thinking about in the 1920's that was connected in my mind to the tulip craze. Some other commodity that was frivolous and pointless.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I seem to recall people freaking out about Y2K and people providing "tech support" to ensure your computer wouldn't crash.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dess
I seem to recall people freaking out about Y2K and people providing "tech support" to ensure your computer wouldn't crash.

I once had a "Y2K" edition AR from Bushmaster. It was obviously all the worst leftover parts from their parts bins. Fixed stock, A1 carry handle, 11.5" barrel with 5" welded-on AK brake. What a turd. I learned quickly....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
...I'll preach it again. Fake news & even the media in general is the root of most fears, panics, disorientation & just plain screwed up attitudes of so many.

And yet, even those who realize this and know better buy into the panic and fears.

Suspect that in addition to the born-panic’d &hoarding personalities out there, there are also added a considerable number who are in the i-got-screwed-last-time camp and, fair enough, go out and buy “a little more” as a precautionary measure over the past few months. Not guys trying to fill a Conex buried in the backyard with primers and 22lr, but guys who’d normally pick up a few boxes of w209’s when on sale, wisely pick up double that, triple that. Powder, etc, same same. Guy might buy two boxes of ammo for deer season, instead buys half dozen knowing he dam sure wants to hunt next year, etc. Multiplied across the board.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I think the ones that know better are NOT buying into the panic, they are in the game. They are in the game of hunting, shooting, competing, etc. & simply have to buy to have supplies for their use. They know the ones that panic are going to strip the shelves. The ones that panic don't really know what they're buying for, they just feel the need. OTH, the hunter/sportsman, buys not because the "feel" the need, they have the need.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We don't ever learn, now small pistol primers in the Indy area are selling for $80/K with the scalpers asking as much as $150/K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9mm ammo when it can be found regularly sells for $35/box with scalpers asking $50/box. Most area gunshops will only sell one box of 9mm per customer only if you purchase a 9mm handgun.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We need to institute the good ole' communist model. That way we all get bread. At least most of us. Well, the ones getting the bread are still alive, anyway, and the ones that aren't are dead, so they don't count. Sounds like a solution.

I keep wondering why the "free" market isn't solving this problem.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Someone needs to send Sycamore a link to this thread.....

FJB & FJT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 51 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,515
Posts18,452,689
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.