Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have my father's Boy Scout Handbook from the 1930's. I'm sure it would be an interesting contrast to one from today. He grew up in the middle of what is now a large metropolitan area, but even in the middle of town back then kids learned outdoor skills. He and my grandfather used to take their shotguns and bird dogs and catch the train north out of town, then hunt their way back. Lol, they'd be arrested for terrorism today. I also have a book of his from that was called the Deep-river Jim's Wilderness Trail Club. Lots of good lore in that one, although it was geared more to the North Woods and my dad was raised in the South. He used to say, only half jokingly, that after smokeless powder and breech-loading shotguns, nothing really worthwhile had been invented.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We are ALL amateurs compared to what I've witnessed in Africa when it comes to situational awareness. We were hunting the province of Dande North in Zimbabwe, thousands of square miles. We'd cruise the dirt roads until we cut a buffalo track (or tracks) and follow it for hours meandering all over the place. When it came time to go back, they cut a direct line and hit the spot where we parked spot on.

The day I killed a buffalo, it was pitch black, so off they went to get the truck which was miles away and they came right to the spot where myself and my hunting partner were sitting...Amazing

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Two issues, for myself.
- I have always been both horseback and afoot in this region, west slope of the Rockies.
Firstly, the introduction of atv's and the like, this brought in motorsports people into our mountains.
It now is a huge lobby regarding back country access.
These users cannot imagine hunting without.
- I am always a little shocked when I see someone in short pants, no hat and no gear on a mountaintop. We were taught to be prepared and wear wool, light wool in the summer, a good felt hat. Country folks don't even leave the house without a proper lid.

Last edited by comerade; 10/20/20. Reason: Sp
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You guys would love

Horace Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft book. Published 1917. My copy is 1974 edition. I got it from one of those Book club deals back in the 70s. Outdoor Life magazine.

Old school stuff and a joy to read.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by comerade

- I am always a little shocked when I see someone in short pants, no hat and no gear on a mountaintop. We were taught to be prepared and wear wool, light wool in the summer, a good felt hat. Country folks don't even leave the house without a proper lid.

You got that right. What is the obsession with always wearing shorts in the field. Makes no freaking sense to me.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Enter Trail LIfe. It's very similar to the BSA but without the baggage. All troops are sponsored by churches and it's Christ based. A lot of churches are dropping the BSA and switching to Trail Life. Ours made the switch 2 years ago. I've been teaching compass and map reading to our troop and a few weeks ago, we took them on a map reading expedition in the hills. We've been heavy into fire starting and emergency shelters, too. We have a campout of some kind every month, year round. Last winter we camped in 3' of snow at 10F and the boys constructed shelters to sleep in.
TL has about 250 troops across the country and 30k members so far. It's growing fast. Like any organization of this type, though, it's hard to get the boys' interest with all the competition for their time. Sports, internet, social media, etc. all have a strong pull away from outdoor activities.

the issue I think is what is going to prevent them from facing the same issues that the Boy Scouts faced

I know we jumped through hoops to make sure no scout was ever in danger around an adult. I couldn't bring a scout home from a meeting, heck, I dreaded the idea of being in a situation where I was waiting for a parent with the last scout. We never let that happen because we always made 2 adults stick around until the last scout was gone from the meeting. Scouts could never tent with an adult, even their parent and they had to tent with scouts their own age.

but while we didn't have any issues (as I suspect most troops did not) even with those precautions, there were still enough instances of it happening that the scouts are filling for bankruptcy.
There will always be pedophiles. Some churches are telling God to shove it and encouraging homosexuals. There's little hope for them.
At this point, I think Trail Life can face down the liberals who destroyed the BSA. TL isn't funded by Levi Strauss and other large corporations who threatened to unfund the scouts if they didn't allow queer leaders. TL is funded by local churches that can run the local troop like they want it run.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first rendezvous I took my youngest son to, it rained all day every day. In January, in Texas. We were wearing good wool capotes and dressed for the conditions. All the events took place in light, steady rain. On the way home I asked him if he had fun. His answer was yes. I asked if he wanted to do it again sometime he said "yes but dad, everything we did this weekend is against the rules in Scouts" I asked why do you think that is? He said "too many idiots in Scouts"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a third issue and it regards technology.
GPS stuff. I don't like it much and I see younger people that have no sense of direction, no interest in developing one.
A while back we made a hospital run to a major city in our region- Calgary. They insisted on using this nonsense.
We did get to the hospital, but redirected through two school zones to do this.
Later on I picked up a city map, and turned off the hearing aids

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Zion Park woman's mental therapist recommended mushrooms.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I hike the Pacific Crest trail quite often during warm weather. I see many young people hiking, long distance. Far more than 40 years ago! Don't think these young people have no woods skills, because they weren't boy scouts! The area i hike the most includes Crater Lake park north to Sisters wilderness! Plus the gear available today is better than when I was younger!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by comerade
I have a third issue and it regards technology.
GPS stuff. I don't like it much and I see younger people that have no sense of direction, no interest in developing one.
A while back we made a hospital run to a major city in our region- Calgary. They insisted on using this nonsense.
We did get to the hospital, but redirected through two school zones to do this.
Later on I picked up a city map, and turned off the hearing aids

I have OnX on my phone and I also have a heavier Garmin GPS with an OnX chip. I find them very useful. However, I also always have a compass. In this open country, if you can read a compass, you can usually get yourself found, map or not, unless you need pinpoint accuracy. Of course having a map is better but it's usually not needed for getting un-lost.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I learned a lot by being raised by folks that were up in the woods hunting.

Also was in the Scouts when they had trail craft as a skill.

I guess i have a sense of where i am,matters not in the piney woods and hollows of MS.or pout here where you can get away from town.

Same thing up in the Rockies hunting elk,just seems i can feel where i am relating to where i need to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
something wrong with this story.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
GPS will be useless when they detonate orbital nukes in WWIII. Satellite constellations are very vulnerable.

Simple navigation is a good skill to have.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI
We are ALL amateurs compared to what I've witnessed in Africa when it comes to situational awareness. We were hunting the province of Dande North in Zimbabwe, thousands of square miles. We'd cruise the dirt roads until we cut a buffalo track (or tracks) and follow it for hours meandering all over the place. When it came time to go back, they cut a direct line and hit the spot where we parked spot on.

The day I killed a buffalo, it was pitch black, so off they went to get the truck which was miles away and they came right to the spot where myself and my hunting partner were sitting...Amazing

Uhhhh....

What's amazing about that?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Uhhhh....

What's amazing about that?

Jesus you can’t be that dumb... that whole story was amazing because he shot a buffaloe and went to Africa..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S

Jesus you can’t be that dumb... that whole story was amazing because he shot a buffaloe and went to Africa..

That is cool.

Fershure.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
The story may end up not being what it seems.

The whole thing is a 100% put up job done to gain attention or money via a go fund me. That lady wasn’t lost.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was in the Boy Scouts and I learned a lot. We lived in the suburbs of north Atlanta, and my dad did not want to go camping.

I learned all that stuff when we went camping in Boy Scouts, how to find your way in the woods, how to find the North Star at night, how to build a shelter and build a fire.
Also at Camp Bert Adams we got to shoot rifles.
Also I went to Aquatics Week at Camp Bert Adams, in one week I earned 4 merit badges, Swimming, Canoeing, Mile Swim, and Red Cross Water Safety Instructor.
I was like a junior Navy SEAL at age 12.

I was enrolled freshman year at Ga. Tech, they had a famous swimming coach named Freddy Lanue. He had developed a technique called "Drownproofing." Basically taught you that if you ever went into the water, don't panic and taught you how to tread water for an hour. All freshmen had to take Drownproofing first quarter freshman year and if you flunked, they kicked you out of school. Ga. Tech figured, they didn't want to spend all that time and money to get you the Electrical Engineering degree, and then at age 25 at Lake Lanier, you fall out of the boat at midnight and drown.

Of course, I passed Drownproofing with ease from all my training in the Boy Scouts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Starman

Prefering relative solitude in nature sounds
better than keeping up cheap appearances
at lost sheep church gatherings.

I gotta look for the Lost Sheep Church smile

What value is there in joining a group
thats already lost?..

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.