Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Explaining to the wife that it’s time to end her dog’s suffering from congestive heart failure, and loosing the damn mut at the same time is even harder than I thought.

The wife isn’t from a dog family, so even though she knows it’s something that needs to be done, mostly because I had put one down that was suffering (I mean put to sleep while laying on my lap)...
She’s not ready to let him go (me either really), the but the little guy is suffering so bad I had to carry him in and out of the house this weekend... it’s hard for him to breath, and his legs are giving out.
It’s hard to talk to her, and then sit down with the little [bleep] and try to comfort him.

His head is clear, but his heart and lungs are almost gone - and like all wives dog’s I and he have grown attached to each other..
I feel pretty torn up, and am going to miss the little chit, even though he was always a pain in my ass (acts more like a cat than a dog)..

This [bleep] is kicking my ass.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/18/20.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sorry to hear this... Dogs are so special!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a 14 y/o lab on the floor behind me..... I know your pain.... and I'm gonna know it a lot better, in the months to come.

You got an unpleasant business to tend to.... tomorrow is Monday.

Just remember.... that little chit won the "Dog Lottery" when he showed up at your house.... Lived like a king all these years.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That is one of the most horrid things you may have to do in life. After your always second guessing your self, to early, left to long, geeezes. I hate it & hope that I never halve to do it again!!!!!!!! It's bad enough at the vets but when things go down hill fast at home it really sucks the big one!!! So sorry for you & your wife. Many dark days ahead. Try & keep really busy after, helps keep it off yr mind a bit!! So so sorry. Bill out. 👣🐾👣🐾🇨🇦

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm so sorry. 2 months since mine is gone, and I still cry every day.
For me, it isn't getting better.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have more experience at this than I ever thought I would, or ever wanted.

Do NOT make that dog suffer for something you want. They don't deserve it, and if the tables were reversed, they'd do what's best for you...

Sorry...Ive been in your shoes...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ingwe, my thoughts exactly. They deserve nothing less from us.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Spotshooter, look up Lap of Love and see if there in one in your area. They came right to my house and did the deed. In my opinion it was a whole lot better than taking ours to a clinic. They even do cremations if you desire so. They are surprisingly reasonable on their prices also. I'm sorry for the pain you are going through BTDT.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Similar to crittrgittr...
We had my constant companion of 16 years put down last winter. Here is my take: afterwards you always realize you probably should have done it sooner, for the dog's sake.
There is a mobile vet in our area who has ended up kind of specializing in euthanasia. She came and my wife and I sat on the floor with the dog, with dog's head in my lap as she crossed over. Super hard.
BUT other times I have gone to the vet's office, which for me was more traumatic. You have to sit in the lobby, then sit in the exam room, then they leave you there with the dog for "as long as you need." At home was better, if you have a vet who can do it. Again, super hard, but glad we did it the way we did.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
We lost him this morning.

He had one really good last day, and past after eating this morning fairly quickly.
He was all about his own way, but he was a good dog, and will be missed.

He’s the grumpy little [bleep] in front of my Brit... RIP Auggie

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm so sorry. It's a terrible thing that dogs don't live as long us.

G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
I am lucky enough to have a good friend who is a veterinarian, he made a 90 mile one way drive to help my 14 year old Mal cross over. We did it with her laying in the front yard in the sun. It certainly made it easier than loading her in the truck for her final ride. my friend took her to be cremated. When he brought me her ashes and a plaster cast of her paw, the waterworks started all over again. I felt lucky the way it all played out. Dogs are a gift from God, I hope she is waiting for me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
People who have no pets do not understand the loss of a pet is heartbreaking.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm glad you didn't have to "do" anything. When I read your post my thought was, just a little time and this will resolve. I lost a Lab with congestive heart failure. In that case, easy on him, tough on me. I've had five Labs since him and I miss them all. If I think about them I develop an allergy. Have a setter pup now. I say pup, but she's nine.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i lost mine the day before yesterday. It's harder for me than losing a person. It's the only time I ever cry :-(

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

He had one really good last day, and past after eating this morning fairly quickly.

[Linked Image]

So sorry to hear about Auggie..... frown

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sorry for the loss of your friend

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

[Linked Image]

sorry to hear. lucky to have a friend like you and your wife

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.