Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Or do you stop buying everything when money is tight?

As for me, I buy parts, brochures, stock, barrels, anything to keep it rolling.

I may be addicted to Savages. You?

LOL
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I buy sights, parts, scopes, guns on layaway, etc..when money is tight.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I find what I want, especially in front of me, I try to buy it.

I dig Savages too, as you know.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would like to experience a time when funds are long, but all in all I manage to keep a roof over my head. I can and have done worse and I am grateful for what I have. But to give you a frank answer when funds are short there simply isn’t anything to fuel the gun furnace, so I don’t. Or more accurately said, I can’t. That doesn’t stop me from looking but those periods really square up my perspective on what in this world is truly necessary. For guns and everything else. And when times are flush I always try to remember a bit of that. And besides, you know what they say about the man who can only afford one Savage 99.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG
I would like to experience a time when funds are long, but all in all I manage to keep a roof over my head. I can and have done worse and I am grateful for what I have. But to give you a frank answer when funds are short there simply isn’t anything to fuel the gun furnace, so I don’t. Or more accurately said, I can’t. That doesn’t stop me from looking but those periods really square up my perspective on what in this world is truly necessary. For guns and everything else. And when times are flush I always try to remember a bit of that. And besides, you know what they say about the man who can only afford one Savage 99.

..this.., says it all, Thank You..., especially, " I can and have done worse, and I am grateful for what I have.)

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
People ask me why I keep working. I collect a pension, and SSA monies. THAT is my gun money. I call in my gun a month fund. When the election infection broke out and the local banks panicked and required a mask and appointment to enter, my wife and I yanked 95% of what we had in there. Stuffed it all in a safe where we have control over it. I am much closer to the end than the beginning and when I am gone my wife will be on her own. There will be no one to help her. She will have the house, a fairly good 401K (if the f u ckin gubberment leaves it alone) and my social security which goes up every year I work. At least she will be secure in that respect. Every gun I own is documented so she knows the value of each one. In 49 years, I have traded ONE rifle, sold ONE rifle, both to members here.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My gun buying days are about over, although I still watch the market closely. I have more guns than I could ever hunt with now. What I really need at this point in my life is more time and $ to hunt. I've still got more wild places to see, more game to pursue. At 57 I know my time left to climb mountains is running short

Every time I get the urge to buy a gun now I go look at the ones I have and set that money aside into my future hunt money.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Scaling down as I write this, but still buy stuff I like.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
At 57 I know my time left to climb mountains is running short.

THAT'S IT. In a nutshell, Randy. At 75 I am much closer to the end than I am the start. You go now while everything is comfortable.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi. I'm Calhoun and I've been gun purchasing free for 4 months.

<applause>

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun

<applause>

That's funny and it about got a snort of coffee out my nose this morning!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun

<applause>

*There is help available to those that find themselves in this position. Please see the .338 Federal thread. grin

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My gun buying days are about over,

Denial ^^^^^ grin

I have more guns than I could ever hunt with now.

Sounds good on paper

What I really need at this point in my life is more time and $ to hunt. I've still got more wild places to see, more game to pursue.

Oregon is open for business buddy

We all feel that way. Sometimes I push my buddies to hunt but in the end we're all glad we did. Keep pushing yourself.

Every time I get the urge to buy a gun now I go look at the ones I have and set that money aside into my future hunt money.

Impulse control is not my strong suit. (Who knew?). That's a smart outlook if it actually translates into more hunts. My problem is if I don't buy a gun I'll squander the money on food and shelter, and it'll just be gone!

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I said I was scaling back, but I've bought a dozen this year. Only one deer rifle though, the rest were target guns and pistols. Anything that gets sold from here on out are deer rifles because I've long since crawled over my last mountain. Pretty much why I'm not buying Savages as I always looked upon them as merely really neat tools.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When monies get short I try to eliminate one end 0 on allotted funds to spend. But that don't work most of the time. I'm just redistributing my daughter's inheritance and makin sure they shoot ok.

Last edited by Shortgrub; 10/20/20.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

No such thing as short money when the right Savage 99 / 1899 comes along. Right ones are far and few between, few out their that I am still looking for. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Haven’t bought much lately. I’ve been busy building deer lease stuff, pig traps, etc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No matter what, when the right gun falls in front of me I try to figure out how to buy it.
I know, it's an illness!
I'm 61, Not sure when I'll flip the switch....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
No matter what, when the right gun falls in front of me I try to figure out how to buy it.
I know, it's an illness!
I'm 61, Not sure when I'll flip the switch....

Hey, I too hail from the class of 77. Don't go looking for that switch too soon!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My gun buying days are about over,

Denial ^^^^^ grin

I have more guns than I could ever hunt with now.

Sounds good on paper

What I really need at this point in my life is more time and $ to hunt. I've still got more wild places to see, more game to pursue.

Oregon is open for business buddy

We all feel that way. Sometimes I push my buddies to hunt but in the end we're all glad we did. Keep pushing yourself.

Impulse control is not my strong suit. (Who knew?). That's a smart outlook if it actually translates into more hunts. My problem is if I don't buy a gun I'll squander the money on food and shelter, and it'll just be gone!

I'll tell you how good at it I am getting. One of the only guns I thought I might buy if I ever found one was a 250A saddle gun with a 22' barrel. Only made them in that configuration about 3 years. I can't get my head wrapped around a 250 with a 20" barrel but that is another story for another day.

Found one. Even talked to Gary about it. Went and looked at the 4 beautiful 250's I have right now that have never hunted and passed on the rifle. Put the $ in the lets go hunting fund.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.