Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think mineral streaked walnut, a pancake cheek piece, a rounded off bottom of the grip or skeletonized plate, and tens of thousands in engraving when I think heirloom.

Then I look at a nice pre-64 308 that’s waiting to be bedded to a Manners because the wood stock took a beating in no time on these hills. I think of what I kept when Dad passed. Only a small wooden cross and an electrical symbols cheat sheet he hand wrote. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not nostalgic having sold any weapon I owned when I couldn’t utilize it with 12 mos for various reasons.

Perhaps if money weren’t a big obstacle having the 270 rebarreled and reblued with the stock tastefully refinished and a custom with a CF barrel and stock built that he could build new memories with is the best way to go. I like Manners stocks but I like closed grips mostly. CF barrels Proof has come a long way. I’m a material science geek though and CF barrels in general seem at the base level to concern me. I’m hoping Bart with their reputation will help propel others into the technology and it’ll become the standard. Many really like them I’m not there yet. Between the two I suspect Proof is far enough down the road to have worked out some of the heat issues and probably runs a lighter “liner” so to speak. If I were jumping into the pond and had a rep like Bart I’d go more conservative at first and rely on the limited competition until I had built a solid rep in that technology and could afford some extra risk. It very well could be that they have a guru or hired one though so that’s an Outsiders take. Maybe history of proven service levels would help me pick one.

I’m probably in the Millenial crowd as class of ‘00 and I am a big fan of the classic writers/hunters. I wonder if our age/experience is why some are saying wood/blued is a heirloom and others think “Utility” and “Heirloom” don’t have to be exclusive. It very well could be that my children look at MSRs as Heirlooms. We are getting to a point where many have started with synthetic/CF stocks and SS weapons. They may never connect with an old Mauser or Holland.

I’m sure Ive added nothing but have benefited immensely from this discussion and it provides much to think about for my own family a few decades from now.

Thank you

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
And if anyone can send me research on CF barrel technology I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m thinking the extra thickness could be additional rigidity for heat to try and hold the thinner SS from moving around after each shot. It could be a million other things and I’m interested in learning more.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think blueprinting a 700 and otherwise smoothing it up is worthwhile when going to the expense of a CF rebarrel. I’ve not heard of many smiths that will rebarrel without squaring and cutting new threads at least. I’ve not had a custom built on s 7 or 700 in quite awhile though. A PTG one piece bolt was popular when going this route and I’ve not heard much about that in awhile but suspect for the cost many just go to a clone action instead with so many options. A friend competed for a time in F T/R with a trued 700 and an Obermeyer barrel. I’m not sure when he won his first records but believe it was that time frame. He had upgraded to a Panda when I knew him and I believe he still shoots for the US Team. It’s been some years and I should see what he’s up to. His Smith was a friend that used to give me updates on how competitions were going but I’ve dropped off Earth the past year.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Kirios -

I’m building an Heirloom for my niece right now...

So far (on hand working on them after I finish some Cerakote jobs)

700 Stainless Short Action
Trigger Tech Trigger
Custom 308 Match Reamer
Krieger Heavy Sporter - I had them do a 30 cal 1:10 twist.
I a modifying a 223 bolt to a 308 bolt with a M16 style extractor

Frankly it’s only the stock and bottom metal left..
Either a B&C Alaskan OR... McM Edge remy Varmint stock
Bottom metal Either BDL, or a DMB bottom metal

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I guess different people have different definitions of heirloom firearm, to me it could mean the 94 or savage your grandfather used because of the memories and family connection, but when it comes to actually building something with the intention that it will become an heirloom, then I think of something really special built by a true gunsmith, someone who has spent his career mastering all the facets of their trade, but the connection your son already has with the rifle definitely brings the right sentiment to the project, my first larger centrefire was a 700 bdl made in the early 70s that I’ve always regretted selling, I always check the used racks when I visit gun shops to see if I can find one like it, purely for sentimental reasons, if you are opening it up for a magnum 7mm an M16 extractor would be a nice touch, I’d probably add steel bottom metal as well, a bit heavier, but the stock alloy ones are a bit cheesy unless you really want to keep the weight down, in that case there’s nothing wrong with the adl set up.

whatever you end up doing, make sure you keep us up to date!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Maybe "heirloom" is the wrong term.

I want and he wants this rifle to be used and used hard and dragged thru swamps and over deserts and mountains and still shoot lights out. It probably won't go farther than him. None of my four grandchildren have any interest in guns or hunting. I hope he passes it along to a young hunter when he is too old to hunt (if there are any left).

Anyway today I placed an order for a Bartlein carbon fiber barrel. It will be here Monday. He's now looking into stocks and scopes.

I'm having fun.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I'm having fun.

This is what matters!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tejano
Heirloom says Exhibition Walnut and rust blue to me.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Carbon wrapped barrel in a synthetic stock has no soul, it is just a tool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano
Heirloom says Exhibition Walnut and rust blue to me.

I agree, but if a rifle is too over-the-top, one will tend to not use it fearing it will get marked up. There needs to be a balance between really nice and utility.

I had a nice FN-98 done up this year. No engraving or rust bluing. Nice english walnut but no exhibition grade, but did get the basic std bells and whistles. I plan on using it all the time and have already dragged it on a NFLD moose hunt. Got it soaked with rain on 1st first day out. It needs to be useable not a safe queen.

The kids need to be able to say that grampy shot a lot of moose and deer with that rifle to be a prized heirloom.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe "heirloom" is the wrong term.

I want and he wants this rifle to be used and used hard and dragged thru swamps and over deserts and mountains and still shoot lights out. It probably won't go farther than him. None of my four grandchildren have any interest in guns or hunting. I hope he passes it along to a young hunter when he is too old to hunt (if there are any left).

Anyway today I placed an order for a Bartlein carbon fiber barrel. It will be here Monday. He's now looking into stocks and scopes.

I'm having fun.

If that’s the case give Alamo Precision a call.

In my very small ( sample of 1) rifles from them, I’m happy.
They are putting another together for me now.

Tell em what you after after. They can fix you up.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I was conflicted on which path to take for my own building an heirloom question
I have mentally gone throught this a few times and it’s a tough one.

On one side I want to buy them a Ruger 77... Classis blue & wood, reliable, sexy, slim... a rifle a kid would keep... NOT the most accurate one in the world.
On the other side - Tactical weenies the kids are, and Accurate as a 700 action is - if you make a bug hole rifle, that can shoot long range, or Pdogs they also may hold onto it.

Every once and a while I flip back to the 77, but Walmart has 700’s on clearance... shoot

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds more "modern precision" than "heirloom" but a fantastic rifle just the same! Heirloom to me = blued steel and walnut.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Oregon Mountain Rifles will install a carbon barrel and AG stock on a Rem 700 for about $1500.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Campfire Forum...? Seems you've lit a California Conflagration Blaze in dream rifle proposal details advice! smile

I'm not the equivalent 21st Century 'techie' as most here. I do join questioning the Rem action choice. Yet also understand 'dream', whatever. Been there, done that, with some pretty wild 'custom build' notions myself. Just that always met with darned 'reality'! Not a 'cost no object', club member here! More in 'coffee-can bankroll' mode. smile That said, I do feel competent to comment on several of the most commercial-common 7mm stuff! 7mm08; 7x57; 7RemMag; all great chamberings! Not into handloading or exotic ammo beyond perhaps 7x61 S&H with plenty of ammo!
I do wish you best of luck in that 'dream rifle, whatever it may be! My request, as you get your featherweight beast sorted out and built, please do return with it for show & tell.

Just a momentary postscript quik-pix x 2. A favorite 7x57. My Oberndorf sporter, "Intermediate" single square bridge action, semi-octagon ribbed barrel; DS trigger, c.thirties. Blue steel & real wood!

Congrats to your son in retirement and great dad!
Best & Stay Safe!'
John

Attached Images
R83-3U.jpg (24.51 KB, 131 downloads)
R83-4U.jpg (26.23 KB, 128 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 10/16/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
He is researching stocks right now. Says he wants something more in the traditional vein than "techie/tactical".

I suppose I could have the original stock refinished and use that. I'll see how much weight that would add over a composite.

The original rifle was made in the 1960's with the white spacers and fleur d' lies checkering. I paid $65.00 for it around 1964. In .270 it shot a lot of dear, bear and pig over the years.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
iskra nice rifle, what is a semi octagon barrel?

Two nice stock option are the Kestral from Echol's or the Bridges in edge wrap.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
He is researching stocks right now. Says he wants something more in the traditional vein than "techie/tactical".

I suppose I could have the original stock refinished and use that. I'll see how much weight that would add over a composite.

The original rifle was made in the 1960's with the white spacers and fleur d' lies checkering. I paid $65.00 for it around 1964. In .270 it shot a lot of dear, bear and pig over the years.

IMO you already have the "heirloom" rifle with the one you have. Those stocks with the fluer de lis are a classic in themselves, if you don't think so try to find one. If the barrel is shot out, or does not give the accuracy you want, replace it with a Pac-Nor or other custom turned to the same contour as the factory barrel. A Timney trigger would be a nice addition since they have a more positive safety than the stock Remington trigger.

As you mentioned he took a large bear with it when he was 16, what could be better than giving him the same rifle except looking like new. That would be a true heirloom.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by drover

IMO you already have the "heirloom" rifle with the one you have. Those stocks with the fluer de lis are a classic in themselves, if you don't think so try to find one. If the barrel is shot out, or does not give the accuracy you want, replace it with a Pac-Nor or other custom turned to the same contour as the factory barrel. A Timney trigger would be a nice addition since they have a more positive safety than the stock Remington trigger.

As you mentioned he took a large bear with it when he was 16, what could be better than giving him the same rifle except looking like new. That would be a true heirloom.

drover

I did give that considerable thought but he wants a more modern rifle. So I decided to base the build on the original action which I will leave it its somewhat beater cosmetic condition. It he wants he can have it Cerocoated to pretty it up.

The Bartlein barrel arrived yesterday. It is drop dead beautiful.

www.paracay.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.