Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dess Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Just found out The Colorado Parks and Wildlife is refunding licenses in various areas including mine. (Unit 28)

Here's the link.

https://gdoc.pub/doc/e/2PACX-1vT893...0GvpHMNXwV9_fUu1nUOoTBMqf37QQbivsVPH_Z-h

Refunds Offered to Hunters Affected by Major Colorado Wildfires

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is providing flexibility to hunters who are directly impacted by the large wildfires burning in Colorado. Currently, several fires are creating direct and indirect issues on public lands:

Cameron Peak Fire - this fire is burning on more than 205,000 acres in Larimer County. The fire is restricting significant public access to public lands in Game Management Units (GMU) 6, 7, 8, 9, 19, 20, 191 and S1 and S40.
Calwood Fire - this fire is burning 9,300-plus acres in Boulder County and evacuation orders prohibit public land access in portions of Game Management Unit 20. The Forest Service closure starts at the Cameron Peak Fire Closure area and runs south to Highway 119 and from the Forest boundary on the east to the Peak to Peak highway on the west.
Lefthand Canyon Fire - this fire is burning 470 acres in Boulder County and evacuation orders prohibit public land access in portions of GMU 20 and the northern border of GMU 29.
East Troublesome Fire - Now at more than 12,000+ acres, this fast moving fire has led to increasing closures and evacuations in the area north of Hot Sulphur Springs and east toward Lake Granby. Hunters in GMU 18 should see refund info below.
Williams Fork Fire - this 14,000+ acre fire is burning east of Green Mountain Reservoir in remote terrain south of Hot Sulphur Springs and north of Silverthorne. The fire is burning in game management unit 28.
East Fork Fire - this fire has affected 1,682 acres southeast of Trinidad. The fire is restricting access in game management unit 140 (Lake Dorothey State Wildlife Area and parts of the James M. John State Wildlife Area). Lake Dorothey SWA is closed to all hunting until further notice. James M. John SWA will be closed through the end of September.
Pine Gulch Fire - Burned more than 139,000 acres in game management units 30 and 31 in Mesa and Garfield counties, north of the community of Grand Junction. Contained but closures exist in burned areas.
Grizzly Creek Fire - burned in Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood Springs in Garfield County. This 32,000+ acre fire may continue to impact travel on I-70 and access roads into game management unit 34 (some access could be impacted into GMUs 24 and 25). Though mostly contained, mud and rock slides could occur with rain or snow.

Hunters holding licenses in game management units impacted by the fires may be able to request a refund and reinstatement of preference points (+1) used to draw the license.

Not all licenses are eligible for a refund. Some licenses allow hunters to hunt in multiple units so a refund is not the only option. For example, hunters holding an elk tag for game management unit 31 are likely to have access to other game management units (21, 22, 30, and 32). Hunters who have licenses valid in multiple units would be wise to consider those other units as animals leaving the fire zones will move into the adjacent units and may create enhanced hunting opportunities.

“Colorado has more than 23 million acres of public land and the fires are on a small portion of that land,” explained JT Romatzke, Regional Manager for CPW in northwest Colorado. “We are trying to provide flexibility for hunters while also letting them know that the wildlife is still out there. If a hunter has a license that allows them to hunt in multiple units, those licenses are not currently eligible for this more lenient refund policy.”

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There has got to be some huge pockets of freaked out animals around those fires ......I would take advantage of that aspect , if possible.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quite likely those animals are very stressed. Stressed animals going into winter can be in jeopardy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The way I read the refund memo is that if the entire unit your tag is good for is closed, you are eligible for a refund. If there are other units or parts of your unit that are open, then no refund will be given. Elk tags in 28 are also good in 37 and there are still plenty of open spaces in 28. I do not see EF02802R or EF02803R on the refund list. Bull tags for the area are OTC and valid in many units.

Hopefully you can find a spot to go. I can point you towards a couple spots if needed.

Stay safe out there.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If it's any consolation burn overs usually make good game habitat in the coming years - depending on the intensity of the fire.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Man, I feel your anxiety and possible loss.

I've entered our Ark Elk permit draw EVERY year, except 1, since 1998 ---> NO LUCK.

Hope you find an answer. Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jwall

I've entered our Ark Elk permit draw EVERY year, except 1, since 1998 ---> NO LUCK.

Ouch! No points?

D
Dess Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Colorado14er
The way I read the refund memo is that if the entire unit your tag is good for is closed, you are eligible for a refund. If there are other units or parts of your unit that are open, then no refund will be given. Elk tags in 28 are also good in 37 and there are still plenty of open spaces in 28. I do not see EF02802R or EF02803R on the refund list. Bull tags for the area are OTC and valid in many units.

Hopefully you can find a spot to go. I can point you towards a couple spots if needed.

Stay safe out there.

Thank you for the kind offer.

Our hunting party typically hunts in the Church Park area. The other guys in our group are nervous too. We will have fires both north and south of us. I have second rifle season.

I'm going to sit tight and forgo opening day on Saturday. Can skip elk camp and stay overnight with my brother in Grand Lake. Retired now and maybe go out on Monday or Tuesday. As much as I enjoy elk, I don't want to start hiking around unfamiliar lands, get in a bad spot due to road closures, or be a liability to emergency crews.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OldHat
[quote=jwall]

Ouch! No points?
-----------------------------------

No point system here... that I've heard anything about.

Thnx.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Forest service closed all access to a lot of land.

IC B3

D
Dess Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
East Troublesome Fire went from 20,000 acres to 125,000 acres overnight. My brother had went from zero to emergency evacuation within 30 minutes. He's safe. Probably lost his home this morning. No elk hunting this year...family first.

20,000 acres is roughly 5.5 miles per side in a square section. 125,000 acres is roughly 14 miles per side in a square section. That's nine miles in every direction overnight.

Here is a pretty good link to view fires in Colorado.

https://gcgeo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...zwOTqWoWzJWkrYAuD3iJEJcWvQO_AZbZgFxs-tLU

Last edited by Dess; 10/22/20.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Am sorry to hear about the impact and loss to so many, including your family, Dess. It is a bummer, I was up all night as that was my home for 25 years, and all my friends up there are surely uprooted right now. No hunting is the least of their worries . I did not think looking at the weather last night it would have raged so heavily. There is just so much fuel to burn though. Those videos I saw last night from the area were intense!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 22 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.