Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Wow. Unprecedented. I'm all about the national forest system, but my first thought it is this is an overreach. The fires are horrific and also unprecedented, so I can see their viewpoint. In general, I'm a huge fan of the USFS...

Second season starts on Saturday, four days from now. Non-residents could be already be here or on their way. Imagine taking off two weeks of work, driving here from some place two-days away, then being told you can't hunt in your unit because the forest is closed. CDOW is (laughably) offering to refund the tags...what about the gas, missed work, vacation time, food, and other expenses?

What does the fire think about this?

https://www.9news.com/article/news/.../73-de9bd893-2c9e-485f-a681-c47fce43a81c

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 10/20/20. Reason: typo
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The possibility has been discussed for the past week or so. If more fires break out in other parts of the state those NF's may be closed too. Currently a fire outside of Silverton in the San Juan NF.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The positive note is this weekend the forecast is for colder and slightly bet wetter conditions for most of the state.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I understand the seriousness of the situation and am more than blessed not to be affected this time. I've been evacuated twice before... CDOW has to step up and provide a better alternative than refunding the tag price and +1 points. IMO, 5+ points need to be given, voucher for free small game licenses, application fees, for 2021. Something more than here's your money back for the non-residents, especially if they are already in state.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

as we all know

fires are still badd in the west

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5+ points!?!? For a bunch of 0 point units. They could use the break and some rejuvenated habitat

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban. I hunt here every year during multiple seasons and I am glad the public lands are closed. I would rather give up a hunting season than have my house burn down. The firefighting resources are already stretched very thin. One more fire might be more than we can handle. As it is, the Incident Command estimates containment of the East Troublesome fire on October 30, if we get the snow that is predicted for this weekend. I feel bad for the guys who won’t get to hunt, but there are times when recreation becomes a lower priority. I feel worse for my friend who lost his house, and for my neighbors who have evacuated 200 horses and are now trying to figure out how to feed them. The people around here are hunters, pro hunting, mostly Republican, but really aren’t in the mood to hear about people having to cancel their vacations and wanting the government to reimburse them for their gas, missed work and so on.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

CPW has nothing to do with NF closures. One is state the other is Fed. Nobody can stop a hunter from hunting on private land, and I know outfitters who will be outfitting the 2nd season on private land within and adjacent to those NF's that are closed.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I feel a heck of a lot worse for the people who have lost everything in the fires than someone who just lost their hunting area and expenses.These fires are not the fault of CPW. Even so,if they did some type of restitution other hunters would be the ones paying for it. These fires have been going on since mid summer hunters should have been keeping track of them.I was shut out of two areas for archery and my ML hunt was ruined by the drought and sheep that were not moved out when they were suppose to be. I chalked it up to bad luck. Too bad the 30 day period for turning in tags is past for elk season.I think CPW is doing all they can to help.You know it must really gall them to give that money back as greedy as they are.

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/20/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Colorado and cdow is all about taking nonresident money and nothing else, I'd say it was pretty god damn amazing they will offer s refund of your tag cost. Take the money and leave. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by exbiologist
5+ points!?!? For a bunch of 0 point units. They could use the break and some rejuvenated habitat

Oh so true.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by riverdog
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban.

What was the cause of the fire?

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Official word is that it is under investigation. there were no thunderstorms or storms of any kind for a long time before. Word around the area is that some some cops who were hunting in the area observed some lowlife [bleep] in a hunting camp with a campfire and reported same. I also talked with a cowboy who was bringing some stock down and noticed a tendril of smoke from a campfire, and not long later a large plume. It may not have been hunters, just campers but not a lot of that going on this time of year. . No loggers were operating in the area.

Last edited by riverdog; 10/20/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban.

What was the cause of the fire?

According to Inciweb, it is "under investigation". Googling provided no answers either.

Edit: just saw riverdog's post after posting my comment.

Last edited by RedRabbit; 10/20/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
America has become a nation of chicken littles. The sky is constantly falling and something must be done. We all pay the price for the fear that some insist on dwelling on every second of their existance.

Americans are good with losing their freedoms if some chicken little screams loud enough.

LOL
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have never been a fan of the USFS...but this year, I have never seen such an absolute flood of clueless urban idiots into the National Forests, I suppose because the people that normally go to destination resorts decided to go camping because of covid. They shut down the entire Region 2 forests this summer, and should have done it earlier. For all of their faults, the USFS has to make the rules to work for the stupidest and most clueless forest visitors. It doesn't matter that you are knowledgeable about fuel moisture, humidity, wind, engine exhaust, maybe even have firefighting experience...the rules must be adjusted to the dumbest user...and applied equally to all. The whole motor vehicle code is based on making travel safe for the stupidest, same thing.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You guys hang tough up there, Riverdog. Am sorry about your friend's home. Those are my old stomping grounds too and quite possibly we know some of the same folks. I too, feel for those who are not able to hunt, but there are many in much worse a predicament. Those forests have been rode hard these last many years and could use a break, too! Grand County and the high country of my home statewide are in my prayers.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It’s phugging horse chit

Yep that will cease all fires ! Lol

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Agree T82, the Grand County forests have been rode hard. We are 2 hours away from 3 million people on the front range. The only answer to that I guess is to move away. The hunting pressure in the last few years is unbelievable...to the point that I gave up hunting the regular rifle seasons here a few years ago. I have heard thought that there is talk at CPW of limiting ALL licenses in unit 18...hopefully there will be no more OTC licenses. The USFS people I meet working around here are all good and dedicated people that have to work in an enormous bureaucracy. They do seem to be making dog decisions. They are getting some logging of beetle kill done but the scale of the problem dwarfs the resources. The guy that lost his house is actually over on the front range, in the Left Hand canyon fire. Another fire that blew up out of nowhere, kind of like the California situation.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Well, I’m sitting here in my camper having been evacuated by the rapid advance of the East Troublesome Fire. I may well lose my home because some first season hunters simply could not abide the Stage II restrictions and fire ban. I hunt here every year during multiple seasons and I am glad the public lands are closed. I would rather give up a hunting season than have my house burn down. The firefighting resources are already stretched very thin. One more fire might be more than we can handle. As it is, the Incident Command estimates containment of the East Troublesome fire on October 30, if we get the snow that is predicted for this weekend. I feel bad for the guys who won’t get to hunt, but there are times when recreation becomes a lower priority. I feel worse for my friend who lost his house, and for my neighbors who have evacuated 200 horses and are now trying to figure out how to feed them. The people around here are hunters, pro hunting, mostly Republican, but really aren’t in the mood to hear about people having to cancel their vacations and wanting the government to reimburse them for their gas, missed work and so on.

Kinda puts things in a different perspective don't it ?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
173 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.