Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Started a Canadian thread about how in my travel there, I saw
such a big British influence. Names, crowns, royalty on money...
Wondered just what the relationship currently is.
How much real or implied influence Englang has on them.

Learned a bunch about the neighbor that's only 200 or so miles from here.

Never made it Down Under, likely never will.
I imagine your relations ship with the British is more
like ours, but is it. About all I know is the oft mentioned
Penal Colony.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mate you will find its very similar to the Canucks, our culture and systems are heavily influenced by the old British system. Any real 'influence' though is purely ceremonial these days. The Brits and the royals have held no direct power in our countries since about WW1. The royals themselves have no actual power even in the UK, they are tourist attractions these days. Everyones country has been led( or misled) by its own two party political system the last 100 years.

Occasionally we have a 'referendum' vote to separate from the British system completely ( as in abolishing the queen from coins, getting a new national flag, coats of arms etc ) I think the last one was in 1999, but most Aussies vote to keep the old systems and flag, for the sense of history I guess.

Regards penal colony, yes though the vast bulk of settlers were free migrants by the late 1800's. The last transportees( convicts) from Britian I think came over in the 1860's. These days its considered quite stylish if you can claim descent from an original convict, being most Aussies come from later stock.

The largest political influence on Australia by far would be the US these days. We followed the Brits into all the big wars, then when the US gained ascendancy after WW2 we followed your lead internationally, includiing going into korea, vietnam, iraq 1/2, afghan etc. The realities of being a smaller country in the western empire.

Last edited by KarlSG; 10/18/20.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
British Generals put too many good Australians in early graves over the years. Some historians go so far as to use the term "squandered". I am surprised there isn't more bitterness over that.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Australians are pretty stoic about history, no point hanging onto the past. The Brits stopped treating us as 2nd class people during ww1. Actually some American Generals took a while longer. Your guy Mc Carthur was not well loved by our guys in ww2. Took control and blamed the Aussies for being 'substandard fighting men'. We were first into every war when called, had already been fighting 2 years before the US turned up to this one, were fighting the japs who had 10x our population and army back then, the best at tropical warfare in the world( apparently), and then get accused of having 'substandard fighting qualities' . That raised a few eyebrows at the time I can tell you.. especially as he had left his troops behind in the phillipines and was living it up in our ritziest hotels when he was given command of our forces. But we badly needed US help, so we had to take the deal, accept Mac as direct commander. But it all worked out, the war was won, and we followed the US into most of its next wars, no questions asked.

Last edited by KarlSG; 10/18/20.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Karl, like how you spell you name not many get it right. wink

Your country has been a great ally, as have the whole Commonwealth.
(Well, except for 1812, but what's an invasion between cousins?)

Unfair to judge, and I'm not sure from here how I would feel
about the links.

History and such is important, but I think I would resent them.

My thought if it were here would "I'm an American dammit not British!)

But then, I am an American.
And proud of it, many even call us arrogant.
It may even be true.

Karl,
From North of the Equator grin

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Karl, like how you spell you name not many get it right. wink

Your country has been a great ally, as have the whole Commonwealth.
(Well, except for 1812, but what's an invasion between cousins?)

You'll have to lay that one on the brits mate, we werent a nation back in 1812. smile

Unfair to judge, and I'm not sure from here how I would feel
about the links.History and such is important, but I think I would resent them.
My thought if it were here would "I'm an American dammit not British!)

Most Aussies dont care. We federated peacefully in 1901, the century before that was tougher, but you have to consider we werent throwing British systems out. No point, they worked, and being a tiny population on the far side of the globe, we still needed amicable ties with the Brits being the worlds major maritime and trading power. it was a pretty good deal, especially for one tiny country in the Empire.

Also keep in mind Australia is a much younger country, my age group for example had grandparents and great grandparents from the old country, makes no sense resenting them, they were tough people.

But then, I am an American.
And proud of it, many even call us arrogant.
It may even be true.Karl,
From North of the Equator grin

I worked in the US and and also DOD support contracting in the Middle East, after I left the army. Cant say I found your guys arrogant. Probably one of the politest armies in the field.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Karl,
The 1812 reference was to England, but I think you got that.

As to old country, my maternal grandfather's parents were
Sweede and English. Off the boat. Others go back to colony days.

As to arrogance, glad to hear our uniformed folks treated you well.

I was referencing the stereotype of tourist Americans.
And I do believe they would project arrogance.
Many like to go on about how we saved the world. Twice.
History teaches it a little less partisan, if one cares to learn.
We may even have had just a little help.

Also one must consider who the international tourists would mostly be.
The wealthy or their kids.
A group that frequently is a bit more snooty than the average.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
probably an old stereotype there mate. Once global travel became cheap, particularly all the borders in Europe opening up in the 90s, a younger group got abroad. Kids in Europe these days have all visited or lived in two dozen countries purely since its a short flight or train ride to do so over there. The evolution of the 'backpacker'( roaming hoards of partying youngsters hostelling it around countries).

We get a lot here being rainforest/coral sea tourist region. I say American tourists are still the older age groups, quite and well liked. Compared to say young Brits and Irish who are noisy louts these days for lack of a better word.

As to who won the war, you might get a shock as to opinions out there mate wink A lot of countries go with the numbers. The Russians killed about 3/4 of the enemy I think, more than all the allies combined. They also lost 1/5 of their population doing it.

Keep in mind I am no great friend of the Russians, my military service had me diametrically opposed to them. Amd I will say the US's involvement was absolutely necessary to win, and logistically you were backing the russians as well, which they needed.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I agree with everything you say and will add just a bit of admiration for
the Ruskies.

Looking at their society over time it's a dam shame the authoritarianism and corruption
they have been conditioned to not only accept, but to seem to need.

A country full of intelligent, hard working, educated people. Natural resources
out the wazoo, and they are so corrupt they can't do fiddly.

As to the war, two countries had the world on the rocks, and it took a big effort
From a lot of places to make it right. You all, were in the front row.

Both wars, we were late to the show.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Looking at their society over time it's a dam shame the authoritarianism and corruption
they have been conditioned to not only accept, but to seem to need.

A country full of intelligent, hard working, educated people. Natural resources
out the wazoo, and they are so corrupt they can't do fiddly.

Mate you summed it up brilliantly. Russians dont seem to be happy unless they are being overlorded.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Disagree with Karl on how Australians viewed MacArthur. My father and uncle (mother's brother) saw big action in WWII and especially my uncle. My father was a motor mechanic and much f his business was truck owners and they were all born 1917-1920 and WWII blokes. To a man they spoke highly of MacArhtur and how if not for the Americans I would be speaking Japanese.

I see American influence a being much bigger in Australia than British. All the pictures, TV shows is just about all American and some Australian. Our biggest car race and one of the biggest sporting events in our year is a GM Vs Ford deal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Karl had some good points about MacArthur.
The man was a self promoting, prima Donna dick.
Others could have likely done better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was how my war ancestors recalled him, however it was good Mike378 chimed in as it gives another viewpoint from Australians back then.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 158XTP
That was how my war ancestors recalled him, however it was good Mike378 chimed in as it gives another viewpoint from Australians back then.

(I just changed my display name from Mike378) There have always been the split views on MacArthur. A similar thing with Churchill as well.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wellllll.

There is this big, loud bombastic Orangeman who is the leader of a certain country.

Some might see him as an arse spewing crap.

I see him as an arse releasing gas and providing relief.

Perspective is everything. How MacArthur's actions or inaction affected
you might affect how you felt about him.

There are many who critize Patton, and condemn him.

My Grandfather served under him, and absolutely worshiped him.

I think if he had lead them to the gates of hell, Pap would have blown the doors
and charged the devil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dillonbuck I see him as another harmless puppet mate. Regardless of who has been in the whitehouse( or any countries government) the last 40 years the same UN policies of disarmament, social justice, minority worship, outsourcing industry to asia, selling off currency, break up of family unit and mass immigration have rolled out at exactly the same speed across the 30x 1st world countries. Didnt matter which Raygo-bush-obama-clinto-trumpomatic robo-clone gets into power, the script never deviates.

A
A
I trade the forex market and I must confess that the Aussie Dollar has been doing greatly over the American Dollar since the outbreak of the pandemic. Elections around the corner and this will have massive impact on the AUSUSD pair. Whatever the case will be I am staying positive.

Open society is the answer to justice and equality.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.