Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
America has become a nation of chicken littles. The sky is constantly falling and something must be done. We all pay the price for the fear that some insist on dwelling on every second of their existance.

Americans are good with losing their freedoms if some chicken little screams loud enough.

Try living when the fire is less than 1/4 mile from your home and already 500 homes have burned. People are losing everything they have lived a life time building. Yours must be the most stupidest post I have ever read. I bet when the fire comes calling for you,you will be cowering under some rock. Freaking unbelievable!!!!!!!

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
America has become a nation of chicken littles. The sky is constantly falling and something must be done. We all pay the price for the fear that some insist on dwelling on every second of their existance.

Americans are good with losing their freedoms if some chicken little screams loud enough.

JFC, the firefighters and local LEOs have their hands full just dealing with evacuations of people who live there and then trying to protect their homes, livestock, and property. They damn sure don't need to have the added burden of dealing with a bunch of recreationists.

Talk about "entitlement." "I drove all this way and I MUST be allowed to do what I want, f*ck all you long-time residents and first responders."

Give me a f*cking break.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
All that Glycol in his drink of choice got to his head.

Hope you and your neighbors come out of this safe and well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My point isn't that I'm unsympathetic for people impacted by fires, my point is Americans are being conditioned to "close down the whole world". Whether it's covid, fires, or whatever, over the last few years I've watched freedom after freedom disappear because we are being conditioned that life can't have risk. If there is even a small chance something could happen, we must all lose our freedoms to ensure x,y,z can never happen. It's getting to the point I can't run equipment much of the year out of someone's irrational fear-based policy. Let me give you an example.

A few years ago I cut brush along roadways with a flail mower completing govt contracts. While the rest of the world was shut down due to fire danger, the govt allowed us to brush roadside. In the process of brushing, your mower inevitably hits rocks and sends sparks all over the place. I never started a fire. They didn't care, because it was their project. If Mr. Private Citizen had tried starting his tractor in the middle of his lush green lawn a neighbor would call and report him out of fear he was going to start a fire. We have been completely conditioned to live in fear, and worse yet, rat each other out, which most are all to happy to do.

Well, you know, life has risk. Drive a car? Risk. Play baseball? Risk. Climb a tree as a kid? Risk. Do you think as many mothers today let their kids climb a tree as did when we were kids? Nope, I doubt it to. We are being conditioned to give up all our freedoms in the name of fear.

In this case, close down the forests, in the fear that something might happen.

It's bullshit. And you campfire [bleep] don't mischaracterize what I mean, I know exactly what I mean.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You don't know what the f*ck you're talking about. No appreciable precipitation up there for over a month and winds of 60-70 miles an hour, with the fires blowing up and burning 7-8,000 acres in a day.

Yeah, let's open it up and let people in there, great idea.

Just STF up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm talking about America. A systemic program of conditioning Americans to accept a loss of freedom. There was a time when Americans could make their own choices about risk and reward. Now the government makes that decision for us, and it always goes the same way, loss of freedom in the name of safety.

Be sure and wear your mask btw.

LOL
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Problem is people are stupid . Build a campfire in the NF be cause I have the FREEDOM to do so. And now people are losing everything they own because of " it's my right , f # ck everybody else , I'll do what I want " . It's bad when the goverment has to legislate common sense because " people" are stupid .

Last edited by Clynn; 10/21/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My point isn't that I'm unsympathetic for people impacted by fires, my point is Americans are being conditioned to "close down the whole world". Whether it's covid, fires, or whatever, over the last few years I've watched freedom after freedom disappear because we are being conditioned that life can't have risk. If there is even a small chance something could happen, we must all lose our freedoms to ensure x,y,z can never happen. It's getting to the point I can't run equipment much of the year out of someone's irrational fear-based policy. Let me give you an example.

A few years ago I cut brush along roadways with a flail mower completing govt contracts. While the rest of the world was shut down due to fire danger, the govt allowed us to brush roadside. In the process of brushing, your mower inevitably hits rocks and sends sparks all over the place. I never started a fire. They didn't care, because it was their project. If Mr. Private Citizen had tried starting his tractor in the middle of his lush green lawn a neighbor would call and report him out of fear he was going to start a fire. We have been completely conditioned to live in fear, and worse yet, rat each other out, which most are all to happy to do.

Well, you know, life has risk. Drive a car? Risk. Play baseball? Risk. Climb a tree as a kid? Risk. Do you think as many mothers today let their kids climb a tree as did when we were kids? Nope, I doubt it to. We are being conditioned to give up all our freedoms in the name of fear.

It's bullshit. And you campfire [bleep] don't mischaracterize what I mean, I know exactly what I mean.

Well said.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All good points, and I am not a proponent of shutting off access or government overreach of any kind, but this situation in Colorado and more importantly the Middle and North Park areas of the state were the epicenter of the beetle kill. I have only been there once since '04 when I had to move to help family, and it was getting bad then. When I pull up my old hunting grounds I can barely navigate as my memory of a full forest of trees is compromised. It is just plain ugly, and to keep the unit 18 area open to hunting and recreation right now is foolhardy imo and limited, exhausted resources and public servants have their hands full right now. I see on inci web that grouse mountain burned overnight. During my time frame that mountain held the repeater for at least half of the communications in Grand County, the other repeater was on Table mountain which is in the path also, though probably safe, for now. Anyhoo, just my observation from afar.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They're mopping up a 90k acre fire near here right now. Deer season is open and it's a draw hunt. They have it open for hunting. The IDFG gave tag holders some options. They can hunt the part of the unit that didn't burn, they can turn in their tags for OTC tags in other areas, or they can hold on to their tags and get an automatic draw next year. It's a very tough tag to draw and I suspect many will keep them. The deer had to go somewhere so hunting the unburned part of the unit might be pretty good.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The other side of the coin is, they don’t “protect” and a fire blows up and burns over people/hunters and we are paying out multi million dollar lawsuits because the USFS knew the threat level is high.

I dislike closures as much as the next guy, but a fire is much easier to mange than a rescue operation.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It is happening, wildfires, not might. When idiots don't follow the regs, fire restrictions, they are the reason for the closure.

This thread was about forest closures not your anti gov't rant. Keep drinking that glycol Fireball.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We deal with fires here too. We get months of high temps without rain.

Biggest problem is how do people with common sense live with freedoms when 50% of the country lacks common sense and is outwardly moronic in their decision making?

LOL
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well friends, my house and barn are gone. I hope that the jackass parasitic greed head first season hunters are glad that they could keep warm with a campfire. I guess for me it doesn’t matter anymore if the public lands are closed or not. What the hey, come on up, have a campfire, don’t want to interfere with your vacation plans.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is messed up, Dude. Am sorry to hear that! I can't imagine what you must be dealing with! I will keep you in my prayers , brother, that is all I can offer you right now!
I just pulled up the fire, that thing got huge today, jumped 125 by a big margin, up the backside of little gravel and heading towards the lakes. What a pisser. Must have had some serious swirling winds in the last 24 hrs.

Last edited by troublesome82; 10/21/20. Reason: wording
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ah schit.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
damn. just damn.....

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sorry to hear.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by riverdog
Well friends, my house and barn are gone. I hope that the jackass parasitic greed head first season hunters are glad that they could keep warm with a campfire. I guess for me it doesn’t matter anymore if the public lands are closed or not. What the hey, come on up, have a campfire, don’t want to interfere with your vacation plans.

That's a shïtty deal. Sorry to hear about that. It's happened quite a bit to folks I know the last several years, in various parts of the west and and for various reasons. Beetle kill is one of the bigger reasons....

This is a classic example of the difficulty in deciphering how to protect one person's rights, without stomping on another's.

There's no real good answer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If the government was closing the forest in just a dry fire year I could maybe call it overreach. The USFS is closing a few forests in the driest year in 50 years with the biggest fires in our history, I’d say that justifies it.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 82 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.