Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I have an aluminum ladder stand that I bought some time ago that I want to secure in the woods with a hardened steel government surplus security chain. 1/4" or 3/8". I had one stolen from me before as I thought if I left it out only one night in the boondocks it would be alright. I left the tree when it was dark and came back in the morning when it was dark! Needless to say I learned something especially not to be a moron again.

What lock would be hardest to break. Someone recommended a hidden shackle padlock but I don't know if it would be compatible with a 1/4" or 3/8" chain.

Any advice much appreciated...Thanks, Tree

This guy knows a thing or two about locks wink

I can't believe I actually watched that, pretty hard core locks there.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
I have an aluminum ladder stand that I bought some time ago that I want to secure in the woods with a hardened steel government surplus security chain. 1/4" or 3/8". I had one stolen from me before as I thought if I left it out only one night in the boondocks it would be alright. I left the tree when it was dark and came back in the morning when it was dark! Needless to say I learned something especially not to be a moron again.

What lock would be hardest to break. Someone recommended a hidden shackle padlock but I don't know if it would be compatible with a 1/4" or 3/8" chain.

Any advice much appreciated...Thanks, Tree

This guy knows a thing or two about locks wink

Pretty sure I've used one of those locks down in the bottom right of the video you posted. If not it looks very similar to ones I've used in the past.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they want it bad enough they are going to get it. I am no locksmith but I can pick a lot of padlocks in 30-40 seconds with my lock pick set. Master lock are super easy. As someone said......................they keep honest people honest. Sucks I know as I hate thieves.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother-in-law was in the contracting business and kept his tools at the job site in a truck trailer. The thieves didn’t even bother with the lock on the back, they cut open the side of the trailer.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Someone stole a 15' tri pod where the feet were burried in 2' of concrete off our land. Fast forward to when there were no leaves on the trees, we saw that stand on the neighbors property where a deer hunting club is.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Great advice....as someone said, they could just cut the aluminum somehow and then repair it.....but I got that in mind. Kryptonite makes some pretty good motorcycle locks that have an integral key-lock.... I might try one of the longer ones.

Someone once told me if you make it too tough an enterprising thief will try to swipe it just for the challenge. I know they will get it if they want it bad enough.

"an armed society is a polite society"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
Someone stole a 15' tri pod where the feet were burried in 2' of concrete off our land. Fast forward to when there were no leaves on the trees, we saw that stand on the neighbors property where a deer hunting club is.

What happened when you got it back?
Any azzwhooping?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our remote place has strong cable, the strongest reasonably priced combination lock and a sign on the gate shows a handgun and asks if anything in there is worth your life.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Done in a matter of minutes. Now imagine if you have hours and hours of darkness in a secluded forest.

[Linked Image from gunsafereviewsguy.com]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was pissed off and thinking like the OP about getting the mostest baddest assed lock around. Then I realized that the little barn was made of sheet metal and a guy with a cordless drill/impact or heck a socket wrench if he wanted to be quiet could just unscrew the fastners, take a sheet off, walk in and get all the small items he wanted.

That's has happened several times here.

Also, on newer houses with nice strong security doors and some with security systems,
They have used a utility knife to cut the vinyl siding and Cellotex cheating and then kicked
through the drywall. Literally walking through the walls. Unless there is a motion sensor,
The door, window, and glass breakage sensors will never be tripped.

In one case, the first clue the owners got was their dog in the driveway.
They thought he had been left inside. He had been.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you use a "hidden shackle" or disc lock, be CERTAIN not to lose the key. Thank me later.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One year one of my friends bought a high dollar two place leaning stand. He was hunting on public land, and was worried about theft. Bought the best American puck lock he could find, and used heavy anchor chain to secure the stand waaaay back in Walking through waist deep swamp. He thought it was safe, but after walking close to two miles back in the swamp on opening day of archery, he found that thieves had taken the ladder sections of the stand and left the top part, still securely chained to the tree. He was pizzed.

Next, He bought new ladder sections and moved the stand to an even more remote location, and this time used 50’ of even heavier anchor chain and the same high security puck lock. Next time he went back to hunt the stand, everything was gone, including the top portion, with the chain and lock still secured to the tree.

A few weeks after hunting season was over, one of our other friends saw a similar looking stand on Offer Up for a pretty cheap price and contacted him to see if he was interested in looking at it. They both went to the seller’s house and, after looking at the stand, realized it was HIS stand (with his name and number written on it). Apparently this little punk dirtbag took one of the above mentioned cordless die grinders and cut through the legs to get the stand free, then welded them back together and tried to resell it. They yoked the guy a little, and called the police, who showed up pretty quickly. After a bit of investigation, the PD found that this kid, along with a number of his buddies, had an entire three car garage completely full of stolen tree stands, all with cut/weld marks like my buddies stand. The kid and his friends were arrested and convicted, and spent a short time in jail for their efforts. After their arrests, there were no further stand thefts in any of the area management areas for quite a long time. Prior to their arrests, almost everyone you talked to had at least one stand stolen from those areas.

Funny thing is that prior to the theft and arrest, I had a rusty beater $79 Bass Pro leaner there for 5 years without it being touched. I mean it was locked with a cheap cable lock that a 6 year old with a hammer could defeat, and left on the tree year round until it was too risky to hunt it from rust. The reason it was left out there was that it almost killed us bringing it in all that way (it wasn’t light), and I fully expected to have it stolen, eventually, which it never was. Each year during archery, I would walk/wade out there and see my stand still standing, like an old friend. It even survived a prescribed burn, which basically soldered the lock shut and the cable coating to the stand legs. Shot quite a few deer from that stand.

So the moral of the story is...don’t expect that your high dollar stands will not be taken, no matter how good your lock is, and don’t hunt in South Florida.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 10/21/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sargent Greenleaf dial combo is approved for Secret and Top Secret storage. However,as everyone has stated everything else is your weak link. I can cut 1/4 chain links with my 18" bolt cutter

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/22/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What some of you guys say about circumvention of even the toughest locks and chains/cables is quite true - criminal determination will win most of the time. We have been fortunate to never have experienced any kind of break-in, and that is probably attributable to the location and fact that anyone showing up in that particular place will be most conspicuous and exposed - no quick way out. But, no guarantees.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.