Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Been there. It will take a couple of weeks to get past the trauma then, you will adapt. Were the surgeons not able to re-attach any fingers or were they not viable? Either way, re-hab takes a while. GD

BP-B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two months ago a friend I grew up with lost his leg from above the knee. He was using an auger on the back of the tractor. He did something he wasn’t supposed to, and lost his leg for it.

My other friend was there to put on a tourniquet, or he probably would have bled out.

Hope you recover quickly. Could have been much worse!!!!

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Even when I was in the Emergency room I told my girlfriend that there are lot of people in there worse off than me. I told the doctor in the Emergency room don't let me die of Corona. When I went for a follow up there was a little girl missing everything from the elbow down so that helped put it in perspective

You've got a good attitude. The event sucks, but the attitude helps.

Local lady I know here lost her whole foot about 3 weeks ago. Her husband moved the tractor forward instead of backward and pinned her lower leg to a tree with the angled front bucket. Moving machinery can be damn dangerous.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Three weeks ago I had my friend over to my house to help cut up a bunch of slab wood that I have. I don't heat with wood so I give it to him. I have a tractor mounted PTO powered buzz saw which as buzz saws go is a safer style that we have used for years always being as careful as possible because its still a very dangerous piece of equipment. Unfortunately no matter how careful you are accidents can happen. I've been playing the scene in my head a 1000 times and i still am not sure how it happened I think my buddy bumped the table exposing the blade. Anyways long story short I cut off 3 of my five fingers on my right hand. we are trying to save the pinky I will need a tendon replaced in it. Hopefully i will have at least 60 percent usage of it. As soon as it happened I took of running yelled at my friend to call 911, ran to the house to tell my girlfriend to call 911and to have my 14 year old son try to find my fingers. I told my buddy we need to find a tourniquet he grabbed a cinch strap and strapped it tight which probably saved my life. I had a ambulance to my house within 5 minutes fortunately there was a helicopter returning to base so they turned around to come get me I was in the air within 20 minutes of calling 911. The first thing I wanted to do was call my friend and tell him it was a accident it's not his fault, but he was a wreck and still is. I keep telling him not to blame himself which is easier said than done.

So now I am trying to adjust to being left handed, I definitely f'ed up my deer season, and fishing is going to take some getting used to. I love deepsea fishing and this is going to be really difficult. Through the whole ordeal I have been trying to stay as positive as possible which hasn't been the easiest thing to do but its better than the other option. I know many of us own or work with tools that can do the same damage so please be careful

Accidents can happen. I had a friend that was a high power electrician. He did hot taps on transformers all the time. My friend was the most careful person I know. He lost his right hand in an antique tractor accident. His hand got caught in the u-joint between the engine and transmission.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Irving, I walked a small part of the path you now travel. It’s a bitch, but it will get better in time. Give your guitar to the kids. Single shot break action guns will be your friend.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by greydog
Been there. It will take a couple of weeks to get past the trauma then, you will adapt. Were the surgeons not able to re-attach any fingers or were they not viable? Either way, re-hab takes a while. GD

There was to much damage, my surgeon said most doctors would have taken my pinky as well

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You're still here and that's the main thing. Level head and quick thinking in very stressful situations is a virtue. Well done.

Life does come at you fast and how you handle it is everything. This deer season will be different, but if you can type, you can hunt. And besides, being left handed isn't so bad, been doing it for 56 years now. wink

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang, that is a punch in the guts. I sure feel for you.
I hope you recover fast and adjust to being a left handed man but I can't tell you how sorry I am to read the news.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow, sorry for you. Hope your recovery goes well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sendin up a prayer for ya.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Life can change in a second, don't take it for granted

And it happens in a heartbeat with no warning; I'm very sorry for your misfortune & FWIW, wish you well.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Damn, that's tough. I hope you can get healed up as best as possible.

It's not going to be easy adapting, but look at the bright side, you're still above the grass. Any day above ground is a good day.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hope this makes you smile...thats how its intended...

Guy loses a finger in an accident and calls his girlfriend. "The whole finger?" She asks. He says "no the one next to it."

Best of luck to you and any of us will help in any way we can sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Irving D, I'm very sorry to hear of your accident. I wish you the best for as good recovery as possible.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn! What a mishap!

I didn't know what saw you were talking about, I just looked it up on youtube. I have done lots and lots of chainsaw work, plus circular saw work, but that pto powered saw really looks dangerous.
Hang in there. Tough deal.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Growing up around folks missing bits, I am super paranoid about safety

Hope ya heal up and adapt fast

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
about the best thing about it is that it wasn't any worse than what it was.

to answer about life changing in a flash, i've worked for three, yes 3 different folks who had cut part of their hands off in their home cabinet shops. just got tired, and failed to pay attention.

i have worked for two different professional engineers who each took their own life. had everything, had it made, and walked away from it all. no answering what the Fates demand of us.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sorry man.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Irving,

dang dude, that is a tough one.

I'm sure once all is said and done, you can figure out a system to hold that salt water fishin' pole and get back after the big ones. And I bet you figure out a way to to hunt also.

Glad you had a good surgeon. Sure helps.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Take care and Godspeed Irving !

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.