Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whoever rebuilt that motor didn't know what he was doing. I would not put more money into it.

How about finding a deal on a low mileage stock motor?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So with those compression numbers, it is not likely rings or valves.
Where else can oil enter those two cylinders seems to be the question.
I have only seen one suggestion for that and it might be a fairly "easy" fix!

Last edited by LouisB; 10/24/20.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would look into a Jasper Engines rebuild.

https://www.jasperengines.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jimy
Its one of two things, valve seals, or the rings were installed wrong, the valve seals are a simple fix that you can do in a couple of hours, if that's not it, I would say the rings were installed with the gaps aligned or the wrong oil rings.

I have heard of rings being installed upside down causing oil consumption because the taper of the oil ring was now incorrect.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Can you still go back and talk to the person/company that rebuilt the motor?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LouisB
Can you still go back and talk to the person/company that rebuilt the motor?

Not a possibility, I had the engine sitting on stand for nearly four years before we installed it.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
My 88 has a 4.2 with the auto. A little underpowered but runs fine.
I was always told to rebuild what you have if it is in decent shape. They you know what you got. If you want a rebuilt one I bet it has probably had a hard previous life that you dont want to inherit. I went down the rebuild road one time. It did not last 50K until it developed a serious knock. Upon teardown there were 2 #4 rods and the bearings were shot, which took out everything that needed lubrication. Nothing rebuildable left. Find a mechanic you can trust and he will know the best rebuild shop for the work.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i would replace the valve seals and see what happens then....if that doesnt fix it then proceed to a replacement

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dog_Tick
Find a mechanic you can trust and he will know the best rebuild shop for the work.

The mechanic that I trust here doesn't mess with any machine shops anymore. All the engine rebuilders within 50 mile radius have retired, the guy I used to rebuild the other current motor in my Daughter's Jeep was recommended by a buddy who I trust. I'll just go with a reman long block if I do anything with this engine again.

Originally Posted by gene270
i would replace the valve seals and see what happens then....if that doesnt fix it then proceed to a replacement

I'll definitely look into replacing the valve seals, but I don't really have high hopes for the longevity of the engine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Those 4.0 straight 6 engines will run forever, so your's seems to be the exception to the norm.

She doesn't have a 4.0L engine.

The engine in her Jeep is the older 4.2L or 258ci engine. The engine either sat too long without being used or the rebuild was bad. I could probably rebuild the motor, just lack the proper tools and more importantly time to do it in my garage.

Originally Posted by RIO7

My 1983 has a 4.0 in line injected 6, 5 speed

Must be a 1993, unless someone did a swap? 1983 would make it a CJ Jeep. The 4.0L common rail Jeep motors didnt exist untill 1988 in the XJ Cherokee and 90 or 91 in the YJ Wrangler. Also anything after 92 would be the 4.0L H.O. motor.

I didn't realize that Jeep used a straight 6 other than the 4.0. I had a 1986 Cherokee with a 2.8 V-6 that was a bad motor. I got it from an USAF guy who was transferred while deployed to Iraq in 1990. He left the title with his buddy and I bought it for $500, a steal even with the crappy motor. I drove it for awhile and then sold it to a local girl as a school car for what I had in it.

Is that 4.2 the AMC engine? Or the older dodge strait six.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
AMC engine, sorry been out hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My Daughter bought a 88 Jeep Wrangler YJ for her first car with her own money a little over a year ago.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The 258 inline six is burning oil, we're to the point it's burning 5-6 quarts every oil change and we're doing a spark plug change every 3K miles as well. Engine has great compression in it 125-130 psi on all six cylinders. The engine is a rebuilt and I had sitting on a stand in my garage for a few years as a spare for my Jeep, that we swapped in after her original engine tested 50-60 psi on cylinders 5 and 6. Engine was properly broke in after install, but it has always used oil. This makes me think the rings were installed wrong or the valves never seated properly. She tried to get 6K miles out of the last set of plugs (L to R cylinders 6 to 1):

I converted it to PFI Systems TBI fuel injection shortly after she bought it, which made it a lot more reliable as far as starting and running. She wants to keep the Jeep which I understand as I have an 84 CJ7 that I love, and she has another vehicle to drive that's very reliable and she can take it with her when she graduates HS in the spring. She's 17 currently and a pretty good driver, but she's 17.

So I'm looking at options for the engine, and here is what I come up with.

1. Rebuild her 258 ci engine that's currently on my stand or order a rebuilt long block. $2500

2. Find a 4.0L core and drop a rebuilt/reman 4.0L running the current intake with TBI fuel injection. $3000

3. Find donor Jeep with a 4.0L and AX15 transmission, upgrading her to MPFI and a stronger transmission to eventually run bigger tires. I have a line on a running 99 XJ Cherokee with 150K on it but hit hard in the rear quarter for $1500 obo. I'm guessing $5-6K total if I decide to go through the engine and transmission before swapping with over runs on things.

4. Install a 4.3l V6 and AX15 transmission, this will set her up for a future LS motor swap and bigger tires. I just don't think shes ready for a 300 HP V8, that'll drop 100+/- lbs of weight total on the vehicle. So that's my reasoning for not going with a 5.3 or 4.8L motor right now.

Find a Toyota tacoma.. Problem solved..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...Find a Toyota tacoma.. Problem solved..

Without a doubt. smile

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
After 42 years & a few jack legs messing with a unit, is any brand safe?

A clean Jeep, worth an effort to save IMO. I too vote valve seals.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pal
Whoever rebuilt that motor didn't know what he was doing. I would not put more money into it.

I picked up a used complete 4.0L the other day out of a 93 Jeep Cherokee for $400 with all the engine accessories including MPFI . I need too do a little tear down and look it over, as it may just bee a core for a long block depending on what I find. I may just keep running the TBI injection I got or if I can source a complete engine wiring harness it might change over to MPFI.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

I picked up a used complete 4.0L the other day out of a 93 Jeep Cherokee for $400 with all the engine accessories including MPFI . I need too do a little tear down and look it over, as it may just bee a core for a long block depending on what I find. I may just keep running the TBI injection I got or if I can source a complete engine wiring harness it might change over to MPFI.

Attaboy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
831 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 84 invisible), 3,260 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.