Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I originally posted this same thread in the Hunter's Campfire forum and it disappeared very fast. With too much hate and discontent to be spread on a daily basis over there I didn't wish to interfere; so, I reconsidered and posted here. Having identical threads in multiple forums is bad form and for that, I apologize.

I have had excellent vision most of my life. About five years ago it became clear (pun?) that I had to start using readers/cheaters. A year ago I finally needed to get prescription glasses. I have used relatively expensive sunglasses for years. I now have a buttload of Ray Bans, Smiths, Wiley X, Oakleys, Maui Jims and several more sitting around that are, in essence, useless to me. It has now become abundantly clear that I need to get prescription sunglasses. From those of you who have been there, done that, what is the best way to go about this? An internet search brings up a plethora of online retailers; so, I thought I would inquire here and, hopefully, benefit from the experiences of others. Does one/can one use current expensive frames and have prescription lenses inserted? I assume so; but, maybe that is not cost effective or even the best method. Having been in and retired from the military, I've found a couple of sites that supposedly cater to we veterans; but, they don't seem much different than anything else I have seen. Any input and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Since someone will ask, I am directing this at just day to day use and not shooting glasses. However, if someone wants to provide information for "day to day use" sunglasses and "shooting glasses" please feel free to do so; but, identify them as such. It would probably be helpful to many of us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yes, you can bring a fancy expensive frame to get fitted with prescription lenses of any kind including. I've done it several times over the decades. For example I hate to throw away titanium-framed glasses after 3-4 years. I reused the frame a couple of times with new lenses.

Now, about sunglasses. It you only need glasses for reading, I guess you can get prescription bifocals easily enough, but they are not going to help you in anyway when shooting. However, it your new sunglasses would not have any prescription in most of the lens, then they won't hurt you either. I'm sure you have adjusted the diopter setting for your riflescope eyepieces to keep up with your reading challenges. If you wear your prescription sunglasses when shooting, the part where the prescription for your reading vision will not be between your eye and the eyepiece, so no issues for you.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had good luck with Walmart Vision Center here. Although,I don't know if they can fit the frames you have.They use to charge $20 to fit new lenses to other frames.

Do you need bifocals too.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Yes, my prescription glasses are progressive tri-focals. However, I don't necessarily need my prescription sunglasses to be such. However, it is an option I would entertain.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thomas: Are you a candidate for contacts? That's what I wear while hunting/fishing and then you can still use your expensive sunglasses. Just a thought. I still need readers when reading a map or such with my contacts in as they are not the bifocal type contacts.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like you, I had useless high dollar sunglasses not being used once started wearing progressive tri-focals. I recently bought a pair of Costa Delmar progressives tri-focals through my Optometrist and I’m glad I did. Like FTR Shooter said, you should be able to use a pair of frames that you already have and just have them fitted with your prescription. I wish I’d kept my old glasses, it would have saved me quite a bit of money.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Thomas: Are you a candidate for contacts? That's what I wear while hunting/fishing and then you can still use your expensive sunglasses. Just a thought. I still need readers when reading a map or such with my contacts in as they are not the bifocal type contacts.

John, I don't think so with the progressive tri-focals; but, I intend to ask my optometrist.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by troutslayer

John, I don't think so with the progressive tri-focals; but, I intend to ask my optometrist.

My optometrist didn't think I was either, but he said we can try a set.....worked out great.

I have contacts just for distance, but they handle "midrange" just fine. I grab cheaters if I need to read something.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Even if I were able to get contacts, I will continue to get my glasses and will still pursue the prescription sunglasses. Hence, this thread. Best of both worlds, hopefully.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I got into my first set of prescription glasses almost a year ago. Like you, I have a progressive prescription.
Had a pair of Maui Jim’s built for general purpose and driving. They are set up to enhance the mid to far range. I can’t read up close with them very well but they work great for everything but reading. Weren’t cheap. I used the glass lenses.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw your other thread first so posted a link to Wiley X FAQ there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Costco Optical.
Stetson frames.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use my shooting glasses as sun glasses..They have interchangeable lens....

Friend just bought these Decots and they function well in both roles....You can get a single lens color or multiple lens colors....

https://www.decot.com/product/revel-shooting-glasses/

Pick your lens colors...

https://www.decot.com/product/lenses/

Last edited by battue; 10/22/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have pretty bad astigmatism among other corrections, and I can't switch from prescription to prescription without problems even if they are both the same. There is always enough difference for me to need time to adjust. I have wasted money a couple times on prescription sunglasses that were useless, and sat in the case. I found out a while back that there are some really good clip-on polaroid sunglasses made these days that work very well. You get a selection of shapes and sizes to match to your frames and you're done. I never had been able to have decent sunglasses until I found these. The ones I use are from a Walmart Optician inside the store.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
https://cocoonseyewear.com/product-category/cocoons/clip-ons/polarized-clip-ons/

I've been using these and like them a lot. My wife used to be a frame rep and sold Maui Jim and other high end stuff. Most of them you can get prescription lenses put in at most optics places. But I find the cocoons to be pretty nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
https://cocoonseyewear.com/product-category/cocoons/clip-ons/polarized-clip-ons/

I've been using these and like them a lot. My wife used to be a frame rep and sold Maui Jim and other high end stuff. Most of them you can get prescription lenses put in at most optics places. But I find the cocoons to be pretty nice.

I’ve used the polarized clip-on before (not this brand) and while hey worked very well, they would eventually rub on the prescription glass and etch it where they clip on.... if I could resolve that one issue, I’d be all set.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Rudy Project... They make inserts you can have filled by your local optician. You can also change out their lenses to suit your conditions. Been using them for close to 15 years. Don't see the need to buy sunglasses again unless I break them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all of your input guys. I don't think I've been convinced that any suggestion so far is the best way; but, at least I have some good information and direction. I appreciate it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Depending on your vision and issues certain types of lens shapes and curves will be acceptable and others won’t. Probably be best to speak with a optometrist honestly Before ordering anything to see what will and will not work

I had 2 pairs of costa prescription sunglasses that I had made online that I couldn’t see through. Blurry and gave me headaches Despite the prescription being same as my regular glasses. Was due to the lens curve not really being compatible with my vision issues

Optometrist knew exactly why when I brought them in without me giving barely any details. Now have a pair that the lens is more flat and they work perfectly

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go see a local optometrist. I have a pair of prescription Costas for daily use as well as a pair of Oakleys with transition lenses that I wear for shooting/bird hunting. My optometrist is a shooter/hunter and understands my needs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,401
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.