Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I've never used mono copper round, but they seem to be the future. I've had good experiences on game with partitions. Wondering if it's worth trying a switch. (280 rem)

I've read reviews of copper laser-beaming through whitetail, but will it plow through really heavy bone? Any real world comparisons would be much appreciated.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, mono-metal expanding bullets will bust heavy bone. In fact, they often work better when you hit bone, I hear. I prefer lead core bullets, but I can't deny that the monos work well at typical hunting ranges. It's certainly worth trying, anyway. I like the Barnes TTSX and Nosler E-tips.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My dad and uncle have been killing elk since the eighties with 150 partitions in 270s. I’ve killed a few with monos in the 270wby, 130 Etips. Only noticeable difference seems to be less bloodshot jello with the monos. Otherwise they both wreck shoulders and keep steaming. I’ve recovered one of 4 Etips and they’ve probably caught 3 or 4 Partitions over the years, roughly 25-30 elk sample size.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been killing elk with partitions since the 70's tried the mono's and went back to the PT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both work fine. No need to change.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Barnes TTSX and LRX. No one in my group has ever recovered a Barnes bullet, dating back to the original 'X' bullets. I've put two TTSX lengthwise through mule deer.

Have never used a Partition on game, although I have a box of Federal Premium 160g 7mm RM with 17 remaining on my ammo shelf. They just weren't quite as accurate as other loads so they've been on my ammo shelf for decades.

I've also driven a 140g North Fork the length of a deer at 400 yards so I don't have any problem with a 140 for elk at that range.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/23/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
I've never used mono copper round, but they seem to be the future. I've had good experiences on game with partitions. Wondering if it's worth trying a switch. (280 rem)

I've read reviews of copper laser-beaming through whitetail, but will it plow through really heavy bone? Any real world comparisons would be much appreciated.

Barnes will tell you to move your target forward ,to the shoulder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

Barnes will tell you to move your target forward ,to the shoulder.

Barnes TTSX and LRX will plow through bone much better than typical cup-and-core bullets' of the same weight.

If "beaming through" a whitetail means failing to expand, I've not seen this problem with any tipped X bullet, whether MRX, TTSX or LRX. Entry and exit holes are often smaller but the damage to internals has been more than enough in every case I've seen them used. No lost game, 50% straight-down DRT results with only one animal going more than a few steps in the experience of my family. The one exception was an antelope I shot with a 100g TTSX on the run and hit it a bit further back than intended. It ran about 15 or 20 yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am a big fan of Barnes bullets and now some other monos, but the 280 Nosler is a classic and virtual perfection. I would not change a thing except might try the LRAB if better BC is wanted. The X bullet is more likely to keep a straight line of penetration if bone is encountered but this side of Buffalo or Giraffe I don't think there is enough difference to be concerned about.

But there is a chance the Barnes might be more accurate so worth a try for that reason. I think I would go straight to the TTSX or LRX in any caliber under 33 for starters. R26 is doing good things in the 280AI for me 3200 for 140s and 3150 for 150s. It is just not a good powder for extreme heat.

If anything the Nosler may kill quicker but hard to prove by me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tejano
I am a big fan of Barnes bullets and now some other monos, but the 280 Nosler is a classic and virtual perfection. I would not change a thing except might try the LRAB if better BC is wanted. The X bullet is more likely to keep a straight line of penetration if bone is encountered but this side of Buffalo or Giraffe I don't think there is enough difference to be concerned about.

But there is a chance the Barnes might be more accurate so worth a try for that reason. I think I would go straight to the TTSX or LRX in any caliber under 33 for starters. R26 is doing good things in the 280AI for me 3200 for 140s and 3150 for 150s. It is just not a good powder for extreme heat.

If anything the Nosler may kill quicker but hard to prove by me.

I'd be a bigger fan of Barnes if seconds that shot just as well as firsts were available for about half price (or even less sometimes), like the Noslers are from SPS.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the Partition. I've used both. Both work.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think that Barnes just runs any blems with some polishing compound and then they are not blems anymore. I have had good results using Nosler BT or sometimes Sierras to work up loads and then switched to Barnes which in most cases shoot to the same sight setting.

I think there is a slightly higher chance of a Nosler PT failing than a Barnes but the percentages of either failing is about like getting struck by lightening. Others would reverse the two, especially the pencil through boys.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I used the 180 gr Partition for many many years in 30 cal and killed many elk and muley's and had just 1 bad experience with them and when we had an ammo shortage and Partitions was impossible to find I tried Nosler Accubonds and have killed too many deer to count and several elk and have been satisfied with them.
That being said I still would use Partitions if I run out of Accubonds.
I love Barnes bullets also and use them in a couple of 30 cal rifles because that's what they like.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve killed elk with Accubonds, partitions, Ballistics Tips, and Barnes TTSX. In both the 284 & 308 flavors the Barnes TTSX has been the best at breaking bones and exiting the animals leaving blood trails if needed. The accuracy is very good and I’m not worried about them coming apart at higher velocities. I was converted when I killed a big wild boar at 513 yards with the 7mm RM & the 150 grain bullet broke bones with both shots at that range. The results have been similar on elk at up to 550 yards.

I still think the ballistic tips are the best deer bullet going but after an early expansion on a nice bull won’t ever use them if elk are on the menu. The copper also eliminates the worries of lead in the meat,

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never had a bad experience with Barnes TTSX or TSX. I could not get Partitions to shoot particularly well in a couple of rifles so I don’t use them. I’m working on loads for 7x57 with 140 Partitions but the LRX shoots fine.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If accuracy and price and availability are off the table, I'd choose Barnes TSX every time. They always work well, especially for game "bigger than deer" like elk. They don't spray lead fragments into the meat. They break bones and continue penetrating more reliably than any other bullet in my experience. They and the other mono metal bullets are more likely than most lead core bullets to also give an exit wound, a feature which I also like. I have shot a lot of game with partitions, and still use them and like them, but they are old technology that has been surpassed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've used partitions for years with good results, and I've used TTSXs since they were on the market, also with good results. My rifles all seem to group a lot better with the TTSXs so I've pretty much quit the partitions in recent years. At some point we are all gonna be forced into using mono metal bullets so might as well start using them now.

Last edited by John55; 10/24/20.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have used these 2 bullets culling horses.
150 Partitions often exit side shots.
140gn X bullets never didn't penetrate regardless of angle.
By comparison, 160gn Failsafe's penetrated full length though I recovered 3 from under the hide on the rumps.

Rifle was a John Rigby .275. Ranges were never over 150 yards.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by WAM
Never had a bad experience with Barnes TTSX or TSX. I could not get Partitions to shoot particularly well in a couple of rifles so I don’t use them. I’m working on loads for 7x57 with 140 Partitions but the LRX shoots fine.

The 145gn LRX is one of the most accurate bullets I have ever seen in the 7x57. My best load using H 4350 shot as low as .252" and zipped over the Oehler at 2854fps.

There are very few and very expensive animals on the planet where this load would be inadequate.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife used and had great success with a 150 partition in a 270 Win. I will not say anything bad about a partition.....but, prefer a mono for several reasons. No earth shattering differences, but, enough to make me a mono believer! An edge in BC’s, accuracy, penetration/weight retention go to the monos.....at least the mono’s that we shoot! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/24/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I guided three moose hunts this year. All three moose were hit in the same general area ( high lung hits) All shots were inside 100 yards, the first bull was taken literally at 6-feet. Calibers were 338 win mag, 300 rum, and 30/06. The 338 shooter was using Barnes, the 300 rum was using Bergers, and the 06 was using cheap core lokts.

I found the Barnes bullets under the offside hide after punching through both shoulders. The first shot dropped the bull, but he got back up and required a second shot.

The Berger bullets hit ribs not the shoulder and blew up. Literally found nothing but dust. All three bullets made it into the body cavity but penetration was dismal.

The bull shot with the 06- CL also took two shots to put down, although like the first bull, the first shot would have killed him. The first bullet punched through both shoulders and was found under the hide on the offside much like the Barnes. The second bullet went a bit high and caught the top of the lungs and the bottom of the spine. Bull dropped instantly of course. Found that bullet under the offside hide also.

In a normal year I will guide at least 4 hunts and sometimes 5 so I have seen a lot of bullets used. The Barnes do work well, but I am still not convinced they are worth the extra money.

To date I have personally taken 4 bison, three with the 338 Federal, and one with the 338 RCM. All were taken with cup and core bullets and shots were from 75-300 yards. The wood bison is the largest bodied animal in NA and Ive never had an issue getting enough penetration with cup and cores, and only one bison required a second shot. So for me I cant justify the extra cost of the mono bullets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.