Campfire Tracker
P

Curious as to other’s thoughts.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing about being old you usually are retired and have a lot more time to spend with your pup. Downside is that they can tie you down and can be a drain on a limited income(I don't know your financial situation) no Medicare for dogs. I think only you can answer that question your asking. List all the advantages and disadvantages of having a pup and decide.

I'm 73 and have outlived a number of fantastic dogs, every time I lose one it gets harder and harder and after the last one I swore I wouldn't do it again, after three years with out one I'm starting to waver, the pain of losing him is starting to lessen. The last one was one of the greats being retired I spent all my time with him, one year he and I spent more time on the road hunting and fishing than at home with my wife.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

And he knew how to relax when at home

He did love that chair.

Last edited by erich; 10/23/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am 76 and my youngest GSP is 10 months. I also have a 8 year old GSP.

Said I would never get another hunting dog. This pup has been and still is a real trial.

Left home September 3rd been hunting almost every day since.

Yesterday the pup had some really nice hard points on chukar.

YES! YES! YES!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shoot skeet with a fellow who is 90 years old and last year he got a new Lab pup. That's optimism!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nothing wrong with it, as long as one has a good next home plan for a variety of reasons....

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I shoot skeet with a fellow who is 90 years old and last year he got a new Lab pup. That's optimism!!

The day I wrote the above I got word that he fell, broke a rib and punctured a lung. Today, I got word that he passed away. RIP Arnie. He was 92 years old and up until his fall he was very active and mentally alert. He shot skeet two days before his fall which occurred while fishing.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Never too old to start a pup. Hardly ever. It will keep you young. I wouldn't take on a big challenge. Frankly battue has a point about a succession plan. And you might want to consult about the particular pup. Something agreeable to all.

Or a rescue dog. Seriously.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By asking this question - you deserve a pup! Why be lonely? You obviously care about your dogs and will take care of him/her through any circumstances.

Here's a pic of ours after doing some field training on Sunday (I'm behind the camera). Evie is white on tool box 11 years old. Libby roan on tool box 2 years old. Melonie in sunglasses $% years old. Heidi white in bed 5 years old and Sheila 9 years old.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]BZ7A4926 by .com/photos/canvasbackdrake/]JHC, on [bleep]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I can remember several times through the years where a well-bred dog got orphaned. Don't remember an instance when someone didn't step up to take the dog in. Couple yap-yap ankle biters were not so lucky.

Michael

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Thanks for the words of encouragement, there will be another pup. More to follow.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Thanks for the words of encouragement, there will be another pup. More to follow.

Yea!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A man who is a dog man ,who has no dog has lost a big part of himself. And you know dogs need their people too. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Griff? Good looking dog

Originally Posted by erich
One thing about being old you usually are retired and have a lot more time to spend with your pup. Downside is that they can tie you down and can be a drain on a limited income(I don't know your financial situation) no Medicare for dogs. I think only you can answer that question your asking. List all the advantages and disadvantages of having a pup and decide.

I'm 73 and have outlived a number of fantastic dogs, every time I lose one it gets harder and harder and after the last one I swore I wouldn't do it again, after three years with out one I'm starting to waver, the pain of losing him is starting to lessen. The last one was one of the greats being retired I spent all my time with him, one year he and I spent more time on the road hunting and fishing than at home with my wife.

And he knew how to relax when at home

He did love that chair.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
By asking this question - you deserve a pup! Why be lonely? You obviously care about your dogs and will take care of him/her through any circumstances.

Here's a pic of ours after doing some field training on Sunday (I'm behind the camera). Evie is white on tool box 11 years old. Libby roan on tool box 2 years old. Melonie in sunglasses $% years old. Heidi white in bed 5 years old and Sheila 9 years old.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]BZ7A4926 by .com/photos/canvasbackdrake/]JHC, on [bleep]

Nice looking group you have there!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
LeakyWaders,
What breed are those dogs of yours? Great looking dogs, but I wasn't sure if those were English Setters or Brittanies or what?

Just had to put my Brittany down this morning and I can't believe I clicked on the Gun Dog Forum for the first time ever on this sight just now. I don't need another dog right now, but...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 77, got a 5 month old American Lab pup back in January two weeks after our 12 year old Lab died. The pup's hunting this year and is good for his age but requires a lot of exercise whether it's a hunting day or not. He needs about a 1/2 hour of hard work every morning which is good for both of us but If I could to do it over I'd have looked a little longer for an older dog.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heya,

They are small munsterlanders. One's on my lap as I type and two are snuggling trying to get there...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wow. Very cool. I can't say that I'm a really knowledgeable dog guy, but I had never heard of munsterlanders until just now. They are excellent looking dogs. I'd like to learn more about them and I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have. If you have a recommended site or place to get decent information on them, I'd be very interested. Thanks!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by test1328
Wow. Very cool. I can't say that I'm a really knowledgeable dog guy, but I had never heard of munsterlanders until just now. They are excellent looking dogs. I'd like to learn more about them and I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have. If you have a recommended site or place to get decent information on them, I'd be very interested. Thanks!

I've got Large Munsterlanders, a different breed than the Small Munsterlanders, not just a size difference. But they are both versatile gun dogs orginating from the Munster area of Germany. Here are links to the breed clubs.

http://www.largemunsterlander.org/
https://www.smcna.org/
https://klm-gna.org/

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.