Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
If customers send me a cut out hard copy (poster board, or..) I usually do my best to make that knife.

I do not normally search around to find a pattern.
I am not against making a copy of some other products, but if you want an exact copy why not buy that?????
Just asking here.

I also have to learn when to say no, or to dwell a little longer on "special" projects.
Some of those projects end up with a pattern to hang on to and make more.
One I was ashamed of my results.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A custom Phil Wilson runs about $500 or more. Spyderco version is discontinued and sold for $400. Between scarcity and cost I'm looking at other options.
I like the Southfork pattern for a BnT blade more than most others out there. Something in the 4 to 4.5 inch slicer vs the thicker knives I have.
I get it's hard to reproduce a knife when you don't have a pattern. It's no big deal if you don't have a pattern. Just seeing if you had something similiar or a pattern tucked away.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have received the S35VN steel and in a week or so should be showing the patterns
I plan to have water jet cut out.

There will be some steel strips left over to make other custom patterns out of.
We can review you desires from then and if you can get a pic of what you want I can
be looking into that.

Pretty sure I can make what you want, but not sure what that is right now.
I will have a 5" Boner in the mix. That might be the ticket.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is a picture off spyderco website. Well a link since posting a pic is a pain in the butt and I haven't figured out how to do it well.
It does look like a shorter boning knife.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB30G/Spyderco-Phil-Wilson-South-Fork/763

And a review with dimensions listed. Doesn't need to be an exact copy. But maybe give you a better idea.

The South Fork is ground from 0.110" thick S30V stainless steel, uniformly hardened to 60 HRC (HRC tested) with a full cryogenic quench. The overall length is 10.1 inches, with a sharpened edge of 4.6 inches on a blade which is 1.1 inches wide at maximum. The primary grind is full flat with an extreme distal taper. The edge is very thin, from 0.006-0.008" thick, and ground at 14-16 degrees per side. The blade was tested for edge retention and durability by Phil by whittling redwood, oak and making over 200 slices on half inch manilla.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That pattern is reminiscent of a Jerry Fisk "Sendero"......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I will have a 5" Boner somewhat similar pattern and a trailing point.
But can hand cut and shape any pattern.

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Will you be posting the patterns?

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, as I said above, I will post the regular patterns when I actually take the steel to the
water jet operation and spec the patterns.

This will probably be in a week to a month out from now. Covid issues, deer opener, etc
will have an influence on timing. WJ guy is now under quarantine and I am still looking at
patterns and optimal use of the sheets of steel.

There will be plenty to go around and I am sure no finished product yet this year.
If you have a special pattern you want, get that pattern on some poster board type material
for me to use. I will have some strips of steel set aside for this purpose.

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 11/12/20.

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Took approx 10 sq ft of S35VN to water jet guy yesterday. Will be a couple
weeks getting blanks back.
Then clean up profiles, surface grind, drill, bevel grind, heat treat, finish grind, assemble, sheath.
An applied guard will add a couple steps.
Still got to get a pic of the options. May wait till the blanks are done for that. The patterns are at
the water jet place now any how.

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
OK, I have approximately 90 blade blanks cut out and surface ground.
I will be getting some pics and get some help posting those.
Info will be added.
I kept some steel strips for the 'specials' outside of the standard patterns.
Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking forward for it.

I’ll be glad to help post pics., lemme know

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.