Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking to restock my Rem 798 (Zastava Mk X action) 375 H&H in a synthetic stock. What, if any, are my non-McMillan options? Seems like Bell & Carlson had either a Carbelite or Medalist with cross-bolt for 375 action but I can't find it anymore.

Murphy was a grunt.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Did you look on Stockys Gun Stocks ?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Although lots don't care for them, I have a Hogue on mine ( turned it into a 416). I love it, fits me perfectly and eats recoil. And not crazy expensive either.
Just my opinion
Rick

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I still see the Bell and Carlson sporter stocks available for the mausers and interarms mark x, Zastava . I just picked done up for a CZ in 458 Lott. It works well on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by machinistbutler
I still see the Bell and Carlson sporter stocks available for the mausers and interarms mark x, Zastava . I just picked done up for a CZ in 458 Lott. It works well on it.

The B&C stock was strong enough for the 458 Lott? Did you reinforce it in any way with the bedding? Maybe a crossbolt or something?

Just curious. I've got a 30-06 in a B&C stock and have thought about converting it to a larger, more powerful chambering but wasn't sure the stock was up to the task.

Thanks, Guy

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I think that the geometry of B&C stocks is almost perfect for absorbing recoil from the bench and for shooting offhand.

I had a Ruger 30-06 M-77 Mk II in an early one (WITHOUT the aluminum bedding block) that would not hold a zero even with a couple of scopes. Maybe they're better now.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Guy, I have a CZ 458 Lott with the factory issued B&C stock. I bought the rifle used, and have put very few rounds down range with it. But, I have not read nor heard of issues with the stock.
With the full length aluminum bedding block stocks, I doubt their would be recoil related issues, if the recoil lug fit is proper.
I had a M70 (newer FN production) take-off stock fit and bedded to a M70 Classic 300 WBY. I have not shot it, but expect no issues.
The CZ and M70 stocks influenced me to put a couple of more B&C stocks on a couple of M70 Classic WSM’s.
All these particular stocks have the full length aluminum bedding blocks. I do not know about the ones without it.

Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by machinistbutler

The B&C stock was strong enough for the 458 Lott? Did you reinforce it in any way with the bedding? Maybe a crossbolt or something?

Just curious. I've got a 30-06 in a B&C stock and have thought about converting it to a larger, more powerful chambering but wasn't sure the stock was up to the task.

Thanks, Guy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 2 stocks for my custom Mauser ‘98, one is a fancy XXX grade piece of English walnut, the other is a HS Precision Sporter. The fit and feel is excellent with the Pachmeyer recoil pad.
Very happy with it.
I have several B&C stocks, although quite well made, I think the quality of the HS Precision is far better.

Cheers.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good point on the H-S Precision.
I have a few of the H-S Precision stocks and have no complaints with those either.

I have a couple of the newer ones on Ruger rifles in 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger.

A couple of older ones on M70 Classics with 2 piece bottom metal. One is a 416 Remington (was a re-barrel from 375 H&H) and a 300 Winchester.

I am actually considering ordering another for a M70 Classic in 338 Winchester. They or probably any of the aluminum bedding block types are not lightweights. But, that is not a huge issue for me on the rifles that I have them on.

The Rugers, if I recall correctly, after bedding, came in about an ounce less weight than the factory Hogue. Those seemed to be a good off the shelf fit. I ordered directly from H-S Precision. I had the Decelerator pads added, specific length of pull, and paint.
I have heard some say their standard recoil pad might be a bit stiff for harder recoilers.
I do like McMillans. But, the wait times were beginning to wear on me. This nudged me to ordering M70 Classic WSM stocks from B&C. Then H-S began making Ruger stocks and I went with them.
The H-S Precision Ruger stocks, I like a lot on the 375 and 416 Rugers. But I would prefer a slimmer fore end on lesser calibers. The M70 H-S’s seem fine to me.

Last edited by ldmay375; 10/23/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only had 4 composite stocks but the MPI on my Norma Jean was a great comfortable stock that soaked up recoil, a Banser on a sheep rifle that I let a hunter use and he bought it on the mountain with his ram felt nice too. A H-S on my 425 Express that was going strong after 20yrs until the loonies on here drugged my brain into the 400 Whelen route! Wood works just fine for what I'm doing these days,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have handled some MPI’s that I really liked the feel of.
I am not sure how well the company is doing. I think there was some difficulty after the father passed away. Hope things got back on track.
I have one Bansner. Nice stock but was butchered by a “custom” gunsmith establishment. It sets in a corner. The Bansner company prior to all the LAW business was a pleasure to deal with. I have not had dealings since the re-formation.
I like the stock. But the ordeal of the “butchering” my motivation for having it salvaged after being savaged had waned.

Last edited by ldmay375; 10/23/20.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I just had an MPI lightweight made for a Ruger, it came out great so an having another rifle restocked from a Mcmillian to the MPI. One thing I find challenging with MPI is the large number of patterns MPI makes and they don't seem to have a good guide to help you choose.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 60 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.