Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by super T
I have some very fond memmories of the Salmon River area. Years ago I hunted a lot near Ellis (where the Pahsimeroi River joins the Salmon) south of the city of Salmon. In those days (1965-1975) there were few hunters and lots of deer. You could buy two buck deer tags over the counter. And, the season stayed open until Thanksgiving. I'd describe how fantastic the hunting was but few would believe me. I know my re-living the past doesn't help you. Anyway, Good Luck !!

Thank you! I am looking forward to it for sure!

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the input and help! Wanted to give an update as my huntt is pretty much over.

Day one I covered a lot of ground and gained about 1500 feet. Walked about 5 miles. I glasses for three hours and could have shot a small 3 point at 270 yards. I passed since it was day 1.

Walked a lot the rest of the week and never saw another buck! Saw some beautiful country and learned a lot. Feel like I will be better prepared for the next trip. The area is AWESOME. Hunted north of Salmon two days and hunted around Challis two days. You guys were right. It was hard country and hard walking! But so worth it. I have no regrets on passing the buck on day 1.

Now I will focus on whitetails back home and have a good time with my sons. Good luck everyone!

Last edited by MosesTucker; 10/23/20.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
There is a lot of great country between North Fork and Challis Mule deer hunting is rarely easy but they do live in some cool places. Glad you had a good time.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you find a late hunt that goes into November? For the most part, the big guys stay away from does until the end of Oct. Some years a little snow and cold can get them to move in with the girls a little earlier. There will be some bucks with the does earlier but they'll be young ones, usually 1 or 2 year olds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Did you find a late hunt that goes into November? For the most part, the big guys stay away from does until the end of Oct. Some years a little snow and cold can get them to move in with the girls a little earlier. There will be some bucks with the does earlier but they'll be young ones, usually 1 or 2 year olds.

I would love to get a rut hunt in for sure. Saw over 100 does but only the one buck. Yesterday morning, my last morning of the hunt, I saw a nice Whitetail buck chasing a doe. He was a 5 x 5 that probably scored 150 - 160 inches. I think it should start lighting up soon with the muleys. I guess that’s the challenge of hunting on a general tag. It Is still so early. I will definitely put in for the November hunt from here on out.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drawing one of those November tags would be awesome, but the odds are terrible. Something like this buck I shot yesterday is probably a little better than average for a general hunt and usually takes a 'good spot' and a little luck.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Woah that is a great buck Centershot. Congrats

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

359 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 348srfun, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 44 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.