24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The hardest part may be finding Mason jars right now. Covid induced shortages have been reported.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have canned deer meat for years ,an older gentlemen told me to put 1 piece of uncooked bacon in the jar with the uncooked deer meat before canning and i did do that and it was great taste , kinda made the meat have just a little taste of hickory smoke favor.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tag....

This is great. I've never canned meat but there area ton of good tips in here. I think I'm going to start gathering supplies for this. Thank you to all. But especially Ryan, for typing all that out.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think frozen venison only lasts a short time before the female pallet will pick up a gamey flavor. Canned meat does not go gamey during storage.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a great idea, I might have to try that this year.
Another note is they say you can't reuse lids but I know several people who do for at least a few times before they get tossed. I was always leery about doing that until it dawned on me that the ones saying you can't are the same ones who are selling them.... Needless to say we save and wash them now

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Tag....

This is great. I've never canned meat but there area ton of good tips in here. I think I'm going to start gathering supplies for this. Thank you to all. But especially Ryan, for typing all that out.

Tom I can send some home with you in a couple weeks after our hunt to try out. I will warn you it kinda looks like a science experiment in the jar. I know some folks who refuse to eat it, but will eat canned tuna without batting an eye.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
That would probably work if you got good contact between the flat surfaces. The only way to know is to try it. Downside is if it doesn't work you're kinda screwed. The camp chef flame tamer plates are relatively inexpensive though at around 12 bucks a piece. They weren't available when I needed mine so I had a metal shop make them for about double that or a little more even. But I needed them so I just got them.
Thank you for the info. I will look at getting some coming this way.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Something I've always wanted to do but it's still on the list. I've enjoyed venison others have canned. Amish friends of mine can the whole deer. They say that, with the number of kids they've got if they put it on the table as steaks and roasts Mom and Dad would be so busy cutting meat for the little ones they'd never get to eat themselves. They can it up as what they call "bologna" although a little different than the cold cuts we think of as bologna. They get a specific spice mix for making it and grind the meat up thoroughly before canning it. It comes out of the jars as a loaf. I've sliced it up cold for sandwiches and also fried it up in a pan for breakfast.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
Something I've always wanted to do but it's still on the list. I've enjoyed venison others have canned. Amish friends of mine can the whole deer. They say that, with the number of kids they've got if they put it on the table as steaks and roasts Mom and Dad would be so busy cutting meat for the little ones they'd never get to eat themselves. They can it up as what they call "bologna" although a little different than the cold cuts we think of as bologna. They get a specific spice mix for making it and grind the meat up thoroughly before canning it. It comes out of the jars as a loaf. I've sliced it up cold for sandwiches and also fried it up in a pan for breakfast.

if you have an exact recipe for it I'd kinda like to try it, save me a bunch on breakfast and sandwich meat!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
best part about canning is we dont trim much. it will get tender.
cube it and add a dash of cavendars and a bouillon cube and a dash of canning salt.
last year we added a couple tbls of high mountain seasoning and it is good.
we cook in the basement on 2 fish cookers.
i cook for 55 min at 15 lb.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948

if you have an exact recipe for it I'd kinda like to try it, save me a bunch on breakfast and sandwich meat!

There is a particular spice mix they buy at places that cater to Amish/Mennonites. Maybe someplace like Lehman's, I'm not sure.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
if you have an electric coil or gas stove you're good. if it's a glass top it won't work.
A glass top stove works just fine. We've done a bunch of them on one.

I've never owned one but everywhere I've read and heard they don't work because of the way the elements heat and they don't stay consistent. good to know they can work. I stand corrected.
Having had 2 glass stop stoves, I hate the things but they do work just fine with a pressure canner. They also work fine with a water bath canner for canning other stuff.

Recently researched this.

Some pressure canners, Mirro or Presto, do not have a flat bottom and do not heat evenly on glass cook tops. Additionally, some stove manufacturers do not recommend it because of particular types of construction. They say it is not good to have a pot that is oversized for the burner and can cause overheating damage to stove top areas not meant to be heated.

About to try it on ours, ok per the manual and it's a flat-bottom All American. I like the glass cook top.

Appreciate the thread. Craving canned deer.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good stuff

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim I can send you some if you need, we have plenty and we're rolling into deer season

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Canned venison is great. You can do just about anything with it. From cooking with it to just pulling it out of the jar and making cold sandwiches with it. The later I’ve done a lot of hunting with my 85 year old life long bachelor great uncle who cans everything except the backstaps on every deer he kills. I don’t make it though because the wife says it looks gross and refuses to eat it.... and I have to admit it doesn’t look like the most appetizing thing in the world sitting in the can.

Last edited by MiJackpine; 10/27/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of women don't like it in the can. you're not alone. I've tried it with many and very few ask for seconds.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Canned was the only way my wife would eat venison, she loved it that way.

Dale

This space for rent

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Jim I can send you some if you need, we have plenty and we're rolling into deer season

Wow. Thanks for the offer, Ryan. It's just the wife and I at home now and she doesn't eat venison, with the exception of jerky, so it might not pay off to can a bunch. If you're willing to part with a jar, I'd be happy to sample it! smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag for learnin’.......

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.