Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Another vote for a Heeler. Most loyal dog I've ever owned. Enough energy to go all day, but will lay down and take a nap with you. Loyal to the end. They can be a little tough to establish "pack dominance" with for a little while, but as long as they know you are the boss, they will do anything you want.

My now 3 year old used my female heeler for a pillow every day, and I would not suggest anyone she didn't know tried to pick him up.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Mal Shepard mix is supposed to produce a dog that is more stable and even tempered .

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wonder how many years until the maligators are fugged up by pet owners wanting something trendy?

MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you have to ask what kind of dog to get you definitely don’t want a malinois. My opinion is people shouldn’t get any kind of working breed unless they’re serious about working the dog, and that would mean they have had enough experience that they know what they should or shouldn’t get. Most people want pets. Most people who think they want a working dog end up with it being an underworked, overfed pet with health problems because it’s underworked and overfed poor quality food and/or they don’t want to spend the money on a dog from a real, professional breeder who knows what they’re doing and who has all the genetic testing done.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Knew a guy who had a couple Czech Shepherds. Different line of GSD but similar in many ways. They seemed strong, smart, loyal working dogs but they didn't mind lounging with their owner either. Every dog is different though. Whatever you get, figure out what the parent dogs are like and evaluate the pup for an hour or so to get a feel for it's specific temperament.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This thread reminds me of a friend long ago spending thousands on a fully trained Shepherd from Germany . While he was at work , his wife couldn’t get that dog to do anything .It would lay on their bed and couch totally ignoring the wife telling it to get down. A dog has to know its place and the owner (s) have to not be too timid to show it. I’m not saying abuse it ,but be firm and direct.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Idiots shouldn't be allowed to own sport dogs .

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We need another good dog thread 🙂

It’s a shame that in the late 19th early 20th Century folks were driven to take what were types of dogs and inbreed the heck out of them to make genetically and physically uniform “breeds”. Read into the creation of the GSD in particular and you’ll find it’s a wonder they ain’t all on porches playing banjos.

Case in point the Belgian Shepherd dog, originally part of a herding type in mainland Europe that also became the main contributor to the GSD.

But, when saving the Belgian Shepherd Dog they hadda go inbreed it in somewhat (but not nearly so much as the GSD) to separate it into four “breeds” based mainly on coat type as seen here....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd

From conversations with Ingwe years ago here I learned that the Tervuren variety commonly ain’t near as out there personality-wise as are Malinois. A quick browse reveals Tervurens are available for sale here in the US, but I’ll bet they are pricey, the breeders I saw too brag on being “AKC” which makes me nervous, the AKC having ruined a bunch of breed.

The wire haired Laekenois variety of the BSD breed quartet looks cool.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never met one I wasn’t prepared to kill. Fortunately, I never had to.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Considered a Malinois /GS cross?

What a dumb idea, prolly get the worst traits of both and just end up as another abandoned mongrel

Yep. So dumb that military and LE do it regularly, . Stupid [bleep]

It is dumb and it's disrespectful to both breeds. They use rescues. No one with either a brain or a soul would do it. Go buy a frighin labradoodle to turn your wirthless cross crank.

NRA Life Member

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pdXammo

What a dumb idea, prolly get the worst traits of both and just end up as another abandoned mongrel

It is dumb and it's disrespectful to both breeds. They use rescues. No one with either a brain or a soul would do it. Go buy a frighin labradoodle to turn your wirthless cross crank.

GFY phaggot

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I handle the Mals for the local rescue and have a rescued one myself. You tell people about drive and energy, they nod their heads. The reality though is outside the capacity of peoples comprehension. Even if you see it first hand the reality is that it goes all day and all night. Like the terminator, it never stops... AKC breed description says "make bad pets". I'm not exactly sure how I manage but, I have... A fairly serious case of ADHD maybe makes me similarly hyper focused and a good match, I'm not sure. Mine does insane frisbee tricks. We work on it constantly.
They're tools not toys.

NRA Life Member

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

GFY phaggot

Is this an invitation or just how you whine when you get your face rubbed in your stupid pile? Bad dog.

NRA Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

GFY phaggot

Is this an invitation or just how you whine when you get your face rubbed in your stupid pile? Bad dog.

Ok , dip chit

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thing about Mals is they are "soft" dogs. Labs are "hard" dogs. You can kick a lab around all you want and it'll still love you and obey. Your a real dick if you do but, it'l work. Mals are sensitive and will suffer. The best results come through games and play. Coercives have a place but, arenot the primary motivator. They are superstitous too. You can ruin one with a bad interaction.

NRA Life Member

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We had a 3/4 Mal 1/4 GS for about 12 years. Her name was Lola and she was awesome.

She was a year and a half when we first got her. I'll be the first to admit, we were "overdogged" when we first got her. She had just been kept outside on a chain for most of her life, we started her the same way, but, being as I'm gone a lot and my wife was home alone, before long, we had a house dog whether I wanted one or not.

She housebroke herself. What few accidents she ever had in the house were simply because we wound up being caught out and no dog should be asked to hold it that long. The big problem was chewing. She chewed my tennis shoes, house shoes, treadmill cord, "NO!" really didn't seem to work with her. One day she chewed the vaccum cord. I whipped her with it (always regretted it), but she never chewed again.

She had more personality than any dog I've ever been around. We'd "wrestle". I'd wear a Carhart and leather gloves, and she'd still find a way to draw blood. If I was on the couch and she wanted to play, she'd sniff my jeans (to make sure I had my boot on), then grab my leg and drag me into the floor.
She was athletic and FAST. She was generally good with other dogs but was VERY alpha female and would fight with another dog if it didn't submit. She would not tolerate a cat. Anywhere.

She was VERY good with kids. She was protective of small children. She'd sniff a baby, then stay close. If a baby was in it's crib, and the bedroom door was open, you'd find her laying in the floor in front of the crib. She was a constant companion to my wife (they could literally tell what the other was thinking). She had no "job" other than to be a companion.

She settled down as she got older. She never got fat. She was the smartest dog I've ever been around. Personality-wise, she had more than most people. She could say more with a look (and not all of it good) than most people can talking. She knew what you wanted her to do without asking. She could be aloof and ignore you when she took a mood. I swear the dog could tell when we were making fun of her (for one of her moods) and you could see her getting pissed. Even in her last year, every now and then, she'd let out some incredible burst of speed (even if she couldn't keep it up) or perform some acrobatic move that would amaze us.

In November of '18, she stumbled and fell in the kitchen one night, had difficulty walking, and was not in good shape. We were terrified and took her to the vet. Hermangiosarcoma. Vet said most dogs don't make it 3 months after the surgery. I told him to go ahead and do it. She lived another 13 months. We spoiled her as best we could in that time. In Dec. of '19, one night she started stumbling again. We took her to the vet the next day and had her put down. My wife had promised her that she would not let her suffer. Tearing up while I type. Still miss her.

A friend of my Father-In-Laws that trains dogs and had met and known Lola, bred his GS female to a Mal a few weeks back. We've been promised a female pup. We can't wait. A pup will be a bit more of a headache, but we'll make fewer mistakes this time. We'll socialize her from and early age. Even with cats.

Don't really understand the hate for the crosses, but, to each his/her own........

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Sounds like your spring is wound a little tight
Remember we are advising about a pet for an old guy, not a battlefield dog

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Sounds like your spring is wound a little tight
Remember we are advising about a pet for an old guy, not a battlefield dog

Fraggle Rock, it sounds like you are out of your league in this thread. Another ignorant poster is all you are

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2 sticks I never had much good to say about Dobermans, our son had one a Red bitch , he left for school and she was left with us. She was lost for a few days then " said in so many words"said you are it and adopted me! Well that dog completely changed my way of thinking on Dobermans , She knew what I was thinking almost before I did, she would not let strange animals on the property, cats, dogs, rabbits, what ever if I didn't tell her it was OK they were history. She even ran male dogs of the property while in "season", by the way she was never altered and never came up pregnant. She would never leave the yard even with gate open unless she was told it was OK, she would cry and beg to come out but never would unless permission was given, always looked out for the family, but I was the one she always looked to and check with. That "Dog" totally changed my opinion of Dobermans, Lord I miss that Dog and she has been gone more than 20 years. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are we really in the presence of celebrity? Are you really the legendary Bobby Brown?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (1eyedmule, 257 mag, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.