Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Before rangefinders and turrets, the Swift could 'flatten the curve' a bit further out.

It's been overcome by technology.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Osky
This has been an interesting read.
A question, I came into a Ruger #1 in .220 swift, 26” barrel I believe. What over the counter round would you fellows start with?
I am not going to start loading for it, didn’t want to be the first to shoot it but seeing the values for the caliber what they are these days I might as well play with it.
Thank you guys.

Osky

As of now the only available factory ammo is WW PSP 50 grain at almost 2 bucks per. I personally haven’t seen factory Swift ammo on the shelf in my neck of the woods for 15+ years. Lots of 22.250. The Swift is one of those obsolete rounds that is a hand loaders baby. Mine has never seen a factory round since I bought it. That said, any 40-55 grain bullet will work just fine.

Thanks Swifty. I think Federal still makes the P220B 40 grain ballistic tip, I’ll give them a whirl.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes Federal still makes them, but finding any in stock is another matter entirely.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
always been a fan of the 220 Swift still own 5 rifles in a 220 Swift ,i carry a Swift in my truck every day of the year ,twist is 1-10 i use 60 gr. Nosler Partitions mostly to save on the coyote hides. anyone got a nice Ruger 77 220 Swift for sale ? or a Remington 700 220 Swift ?

Last edited by pete53; 10/25/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Quite a bit of ammo showing on Ammoseek.com

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
220 swift will always have a place in my heart. Don't need the newest, latest, greatest thing. As a matter of fact, I just picked a Remington 700 with an aftermarket barrel on it for $400 at a gun show yesterday. Bore and rifling looks great, I'll see how it shoots in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by codybrown; 10/26/20. Reason: Apparently I can't spell
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Codybrown: Good luck with the new Rifle in 220 Swift.
And if it shoots at all well that was a great deal.
Dang gunshows in my neck'o the woods have all been cancelled - will have to drive 375 miles to Post Falls, Idaho for my next gunshow opportunity.
Again good for you and please let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have two 700s with Swift barrels... Some shooting does not give one the chance to range, twist turrets and shoot.. The Swift and many of the older hi speed calibers still out shine the fast twist heavies popular today..

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yes Federal still makes them, but finding any in stock is another matter entirely.

You were right Swifty, it took a bit of looking but they have been shipped to me.
As Wyo.... said I’m the kind of guy in all my years of coyote shooting who wants my scope zeroed once. I can adjust my hold for distance. Someone above mentioned 275 yard zero for everything out to 500 yards with these 40gr ballistic tips. I’ll start there maybe after initial group check.
I’m not enthralled with lengthy shots. Having done this coyote work seriously since the 70’s I would speculate the vast majority of my kills are within 100 yards. If you can get them headed towards you from afar there is only an irregular external you can’t control or a mistake in calling or set up location that prevents the dogs from coming within 100 yards. Just my experience in the open west, maybe not gospel.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Osky

You were right Swifty, it took a bit of looking but they have been shipped to me.
As Wyo.... said I’m the kind of guy in all my years of coyote shooting who wants my scope zeroed once. I can adjust my hold for distance. Someone above mentioned 275 yard zero for everything out to 500 yards with these 40gr ballistic tips. I’ll start there maybe after initial group check.
I’m not enthralled with lengthy shots. Having done this coyote work seriously since the 70’s I would speculate the vast majority of my kills are within 100 yards. If you can get them headed towards you from afar there is only an irregular external you can’t control or a mistake in calling or set up location that prevents the dogs from coming within 100 yards. Just my experience in the open west, maybe not gospel.
Osky

Ran the numbers on that round, personally I don’t like to hold off of fur so that zero should give you a top of fur hold out to 400, 500 you’ll be holding 1 dog off of fur. These numbers are perfect conditions i.e no wind what so ever and if you are actually clocking 4250. 100 fps low and the numbers change a bunch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bought a brand new M700 Classic in 1992.To this day, it's been the most reliably accurate rifle I've ever owned...and also my most favorite. Just such a joy to shoot. Has great balance, light recoil and kills hogs just as fast as my 257 Wby smile. 55 grain Ballistic Tips at 3800 Fps are pretty impressive killers. I've been looking for another 700 Classic, but they're darn near impossible to find, let alone finding one in decent shape. Even the 700 VSSF's have all but disappeared. Guess people are hanging on to them.
Anyway, great cartridge, but unfortunately don't think it'll ever make a comeback. As others have alluded to, too many factors working against it. Thankfully, I have a lifetime of brass, so I'll always have a Swift in my arsenal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing that turns me off about the Swift is the semi-rim. I never understood why it wasn't designed as a rimless 473.

That said, I've inherited one, a Model 70 pre-64 and after I shimmed the action and barrel to float the tube, it shows some real potential. It was a safe queen before that.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
The thing that turns me off about the Swift is the semi-rim. I never understood why it wasn't designed as a rimless 473.

That said, I've inherited one, a Model 70 pre-64 and after I shimmed the action and barrel to float the tube, it shows some real potential. It was a safe queen before that.

I alluded to this earlier, but here goes.
The prototype for the .220 Swift was developed in 1934–35 by Grosvenor Wotkyns who necked down the .250-3000 Savage.
Winchester didn’t think the web of that brass was capable of propelling a 48 grain bullet @ 4140 fps. Plus the fact they would have to buy the brass from Savage.
Winchester made all the brass for the 6mm Lee Navy for the government and any others. So Winchester had all this brass laying around and tooling already in place.
Due to the semi-rim of the Lee Navy the web was a lot thicker than savage brass making it able to handle the specs they wanted for the Swift. So Winchester made the Swift pushing a 48 grain bullet @ 4140 fps using surplus and new 6mm Lee Navy brass necked down which they owned.
Then it backfired in 1937 when Grosvenor Wotkyns, J. E. Gebby and J. B. Smith introduced a more versatile round the 22 Varminter commonly known today as the 22.250.
Wotkyns Original Swift design eventually won the battle.

Last edited by Swifty52; 10/28/20.

Swifty
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Inherited a Swift in '09 that my father had built in the late '30's on a Mauser action with a 1:14 bull barrel of unknown origin. Even had a set trigger. Sold the Fecker scope on ebay and put modern glass on it. I became a reloader then due to the cost of the ammo. For 9 years I shot it at my club always at 200-230 yds. Had some good groups but never as accurate as I hoped off a bench. Sold that 12 lb. rig cheap at a gun show and the dies later on ebay. Still sitting on 94 handloads. Good memories.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Hornady has been loading Swift ammo for years. (55 gr. V-Max bullet.) Saw some just last week at stores here in Amish country. I tried some in my Ruger Mk. II and it wasn’t great; good ol’ 414/760 and 50-55 plastic tips shoot great so far in it. I plan on eventually going to a bit faster-twist barrel to stabilize the 53 V-Max.
HSM also produces loaded ammo for .220 Swift.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
As a factory chambering, the .220 was pretty much dead.
Then about 1976 Ruger resurrected the round with a limited run of Model 77's. It was successful enough that it became a standard choice in the 77 and the Number 1 rifles. Other manufacturers may have chambered it as well but I'm not certain. I seem to recall a guy with a Savage rifle at my club. Single-shot and I believe it was a Swift.
Now the round seems to have fizzled out again despite a dedicated fan club.
Why so little love for this cartridge now?
My Ruger 77 in .220 Swift was an excellent rifle and a 'chuck killing machine.

One of the big things is that interest in colony varmint shooting has waned. Look at all centerfire varmint offerings in varmint platforms (in other words, ignore the .223 in an AR platform). Compared to 10-15 years ago they are few and far between. Particularly look at those based on the .222 Rem case head.

I love the .220 Swift but I don't have one and probably won't again. A couple things happened .. we had a component shortage at the same time farmers and outfitters decided to monetize varmint shooting. This drove away many varmint shooters who never came back. Now they shoot PRC or don't shoot much at all. The Swift is a fairly accurate cartridge, but with a 1-14" twist it is not competitive at the long range shooting sports of today.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The light 55-65 grain bullets available for the 24 calibers may not have helped.

Those 55 grain Ballistic Tips are pretty fast out of the 243 and 6mm.

Minimal holdover on coyotes and instant death.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When I was out at my son's place in Missouri recently, the gun safe seemed to be getting pretty crowded, so when I left I brought back a couple of rifles I'd left with him some time ago, a Belgian Browning .22 auto and my Ruger 77V .220 Swift. I hadn't done anything with the Swift in years, probably 30 years, at least. It's old school, wears a fixed 16x Leupold. I'd planned on loading some up when I got appropriate bullets and shooting the old thing again (not that I have any use for it.) The other day I was in Sportsman's Warehouse and saw a bunch of Hornady 55 grain factory ammo on the shelf, so bought two boxes. Yesterday I went out to the gun club. After a few shots to settle things down and get the poi where I wanted it, it would put 3 in 1/2 inch at the hundred yard mark with me trying to shoot between gusts. I then went after the 2" steel hanger at 200 yards and was able to swing it every time. Great fun.... Really don't have any use for the rifle now except as a range toy, but I also dug out a box of 50 primed cases I'd put away some time ago and I'm waiting for a box of 55 grain SGK's to arrive from Midway. Life is good.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
What happened with the 220 Swift? I heard that it got drunk at a family reunion, started hitting on its cousin, some 6mm cartridge, also drunk, and the Swift's wife caught them going at it. She then cheated on the Swift with the 250 Savage, and got pregnant. That's REALLY where the Creedmoor came from.

>>> then old Swift being so fast ended up riding with me in my truck year around taken out critters fast and deadly ! SWIFT still feel`s he is KING !

my inventory of Swift rifles

1. Ruger #1 custom Brux barrel 1-10 twist my truck rifle all year
2. Remington VSS
3.Winchester pre 64
4. 2- Ruger # 1`s V

we use the 220 Swift on runnin coyotes with dogs with good bullets like Nosler 60 gr. partitions , reason hides don`t get ruined with big holes from this bullet and that old Swift still will reach out and smack a coyote a long ways out. my friend an old Sniper Ranger swears by a Swift and this old Sniper is deadly a long ways out too with his Ruger #1 V Swift.

Last edited by pete53; 04/30/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cra1948: I am happy you have renewed your possession and enjoyment of that Ruger 77 in 220 Swift.
By coincidence one of my Varmint Hunting partners also owned an early Ruger Model 77 Varmint in 220 Swift and he had a Leupold straight 16 power scope on it!
I am pretty sure he still has the Rifle but he changed scopes eventually to a Leupold variable.
Those 16 power Leupolds were (are) kind of rare.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.