Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In my case I shoot BR with a 1 1/2OZ trigger. I have to be real conscious of this when hunting. I've shot high a few times because of my trigger control. Old Crab also pointed out another reason for it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One other consideration is a clean or fouled bore. If it was a clean bore the 336 usually shoots high first shot.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
you are jerking the trigger instead of squeezing it.. I taught target shooting in the military and that was the reason for 99% of overshooting..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hubert
you are jerking the trigger instead of squeezing it.. I taught target shooting in the military and that was the reason for 99% of overshooting..

Thats my thoughts. Jerking trigger, closing eyes and buck fever... Just a guess though, as I've seen buddies with buck fever and they do these things...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know why for sure but most marginal hits I've seen were high not low. I always counsel kids that they are not shooting a BB gun or a .22 rimfire and they should hold where they wish to hit which is the lower 1/3 of the chest cavity. Our rifles are sighted in for 200 yds. and therefore a little high on most shots. I've seen misses that I'm sure were caused by compensating for drop where the bullet was probably a little over POA. One kid using a .270 told me he held steady right on top of the back of a large buck. The deer was about 60 yards away.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If I had to guess it’s your upper body rocking back a tiny bit more off the stool than it does off the bench

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/26/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have about a dozen predator hunting dvds and 99% of the misses are hitting over [high] the back of the predators .
My guess is buck fever type thing , it's easy to forget all the things you know you should do when it's time to make the shot .
I take a breath concentrate and squeeze the trigger all in a couple of seconds making sure I don't shoot over after watching the videos I have . They're a good reminder for me .
Good luck !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hubert
Jerking the trigger usually causes shots to go right/low or left/low depending on whether shooting right or left handed.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Are you shooting downhill? I’d put a target in the same spot, duplicate the shot, see where you are hitting

Last edited by hanco; 10/26/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I went through a weird phase of shooting high I think it developed from shotgun shooting and the forward push of breaking the action of an OU. In the past I would shoot ten times more shotgun rounds than center fire, sometimes close to 2,000 a year compared to 2-400 center fire. So the habit got ingrained. I also had another weird thing which I call the Scarface technique where you push the rifle forward on each shot like you are trying to intimidate the target.

All these things are akin to a flinch and the same remedies will help alleviate them: dry fire, shoot a rim fire, practice, use hunting positions instead of the bags, shoot and shoot more.

Breath, trigger, follow through. If it were only that easy when you are excited.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shooting at an elevated (up hill) target aim lower. Shooting from a elevated position aim higher. I few years ago, I missed a nice bull elk that was well above my shooting position by not taking this advice. Some range finders compensate for the shooting angle and adjust the yardage of target accordingly. In my case my old eyes don't work well with iron sights, peep or otherwise, so it would be doubtful whether I could determine if I was aiming higher, lower on target.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why am I shooting high on game?
Drugs and guns don`t mix!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by mikestaten
My guess is flinching / yanking on the trigger instead of a slow squeeze.

Originally Posted by mikestaten
My guess is flinching / yanking on the trigger instead of a slow squeeze.

"not too grumpy"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
YEP !!!!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Biggs300
Shooting at an elevated (up hill) target aim lower. Shooting from a elevated position aim higher. I few years ago, I missed a nice bull elk that was well above my shooting position by not taking this advice. Some range finders compensate for the shooting angle and adjust the yardage of target accordingly. In my case my old eyes don't work well with iron sights, peep or otherwise, so it would be doubtful whether I could determine if I was aiming higher, lower on target.

Sorry, incorrect... shooting higher or lower you must hold low.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Shooting at an elevated (up hill) target aim lower. Shooting from a elevated position aim higher.

That's not it.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/exterior-ballistics/3-3-effects-of-shooting-uphill-or-downhill/

https://www.sierrabullets.com/exterior-ballistics/inclined-fire/

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Sorry, incorrect... shooting higher or lower you must hold low.

It isn't a matter of "aim low". It is a matter of the trajectory of the bullet being a product of the distance traveled on the horizontal plane. So a shot up or a shot down is going to travel less on the horizontal plane than it travels in actual distance. Think of a leg of a right triangle as opposed to its hypotenuse. The "drop" of a bullet depends on the horizontal leg of the triangle, not its hypotenuse.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Buck Fever.....It can happen to anyone!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

It isn't a matter of "aim low". It is a matter of the trajectory of the bullet being a product of the distance traveled on the horizontal plane. So a shot up or a shot down is going to travel less on the horizontal plane than it travels in actual distance. Think of a leg of a right triangle as opposed to its hypotenuse. The "drop" of a bullet depends on the horizontal leg of the triangle, not its hypotenuse.

So how do you compensate for the lesser horizontal distance if not by aiming lower?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

So how do you compensate for the lesser horizontal distance if not by aiming lower?

If you're sighted in for 100 yards, and the horizontal distance your bullet will travel is 100 yards, will you aim lower?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.