Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been thru that while learning how.

Some work with just one sizing but others need to have a second.

Just started with a couple of 1/3 lbs.of different powders to see what ones coat the best.

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t know who makes it, but clear powder coat seems quite the rage lately.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yea saw that and some kind of copper colored that looks like a jacketed bullet color.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, it happened. Threw my balls into the air, they came back down I know where.

Interesting trial it was. I fiddled with minor stuff along the way but will let you know what/where/ etc and all y'all can do with it as you please. Short version? I found my load on the first go-round.

Couple of points for your consideration. Super low load density can manifest as wild velocity variations. But you already knew that probably. What surprised me somewhat was the numbers were surprisingly consistent depending on the orientation of the charge. Let it rest in the forward part of the case and velocity was low, muzzle up before you shoot and it is MUCH higher. You will see on the picture below some outlandish variations, but they were so because I was changing the game routinely with each load. I also relate that with exception of the Red Dot the powder fouling was remarkably heavy. No surprise there. There was no leading whatsoever.

First round was the center X and is the same load fired over the chrony in the earlier post. 1.5 gr Bullseye. All shots had powder settled to the rear of the case except the last and it accounted for the large velocity spread.. Next up was the upper left, followed by upper right and lower right. Number 2 load was 1.8 gr Bullseye and the 4th shot had the powder forward and again, accounts for the velocity dip. It will be my squill load nonetheless.

Red Dot flyers were generated by powder forward and the 700X group has the top 2 holes from powder forward. Fact of it is, the POI was reasonably predictable based on my antics. That they shot this well was a bit of a surprise. 20 yards by the way and round balls work thru a suppressor with very little noise.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dry patched the barrel after the two Bullseye loads, in order L-R and the last patch was the result of 10 shots. As suggested above, Red Dot did not powder foul at all.

So.....OK....I'm bored again. Got my new BB gun and it's hog rated. First blush of cool weather I'm headed to the swamps to bust its cherry.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'd like to see a picture of the loaded cartridge.

How did things with Lord Black go?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Haven’t done the BP yet, that’s next. Pic of cartridges back about a 12 posts +/-

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Not sure how I missed the pic . . .

I recall trying to shoot RB's out of a 10" Contender in .30-30. Didn't get the groups you are getting at 20 yds.

Sneezer is a shortened .30-30?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Shortened and necked .357

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Way to go Dan.

If you keep this up there will be nothing you can't do if you set your Balls on it.

Wonder if one could powder coat their balls?What color would they be? grin

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
30 Creedless.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Purple? 🤪

I figure 18 gr of 3fg but it might go -gasp- supersonic. Will have a report in a day or two. The .30 Crackin’ Balls?

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Angus says:
He's got big balls,
She likes big balls, but who's got the biggest balls of them all...

You ain't as old as I thought you was.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In spirit, no. Otherwise I am a little slower than I was back in the '60's. grin

So, the Sneezer .30 Crackin' Balls went for a walk with Lord Black today. I'm still laffin' here.

One of the things that has been of interest with the gun has been developing loads for a cartridge that is the new kid on the block. Data is, uh, scarce. More so for BP loads and BB's.
I found a little info that suggested it might run in the 1200 fps range with a full case, but it was speculative to say the least. So, what to do? Well, I loaded it like I do all the rest of by BP rounds. In this case a load of 18 grains of Goex 3f and a .030 card wad. Mildly compressed the completed cartridge looked just like the others previously displayed.

So, off to the backyard range, do the set up and with no idea what would happen I jerked the trigger. BOOM! I did not put the muffler on it because of the card wads, and I now realize the Sneezer wants to be a buffalo cartridge when it grows up. So, 5 shots went down the road on the 20 yard line. Really. You have to look close to see all 5, but they are there. Save for one winger it shot better than I expected and there was NO LEADING. Is that cool or what?

It is the first time since I developed the Sneezer that it spit lead supersonic. And round balls at that. All hale Lord Black!

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice shooting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.