Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Where do you find enough dead democrats to feed 20k buzzards?

Don't know but we can start feeding them

Who says they have to be dead.

They smell bad enough.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My vet tells me the buzzards can eat anthrax dead animals , Democrats, perhaps vultures have some standards. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Turkey vultures weren't common here in the New Jersey suburbs 30 years ago. They became more common over the years, and then were followed by black vultures. Now I see them every day. I guess the increase on road traffic has given them more road kills to feed on. God knows there are way too many suburban deer, and they are killed daily on the roads.

I was driving on a road next to the Passaic River recently and saw a dead deer on the side of the road between the road and the river. There were at least 12 turkey vultures feasting on that dead deer. It reminded me of a scene from Africa.

In recent years we have had two road kill deer on my street. The first was in my back yard. My neighbor called the cops as it wasn't dead. I offered the cops my Ruger 10/22, but they used a 12 gauge. They dragged the carcass to the curb and covered it with a tarp. A few days later a truck came to pick it up. The truck was a dual real wheel stake body with a power lift gate. It had at least 15 dead deer on it. More recently a fawn was killed in front of my next door neighbor's house. I wonder how many other residents of my town are having the same experience. We have way too many deer in the NJ suburbs.

Bears are seen here as well. My friend who lives about a mile away had a sow bear with cub in his yard. So, the bears are not only moving into the suburbs but are breeding here. Our leftist governor wants to shut down the bear hunt next year. I have seen two road kill bears in recent years.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
We have a lot around here. More some years than others. I have never seen them to be predatory; certainly not to the extent that ravens can be. They get on a dead deer or elk pretty quickly but I've seen quite few domestic cattle carcasses which just lay there and were untouched by vultures or ravens or anything else. I've seen them on a dead newborn calf but it seemed likely the calf was dead before they touched it.
I have seen ravens wipe out a hatch of grouse chicks but have not seen vultures even try. I have seen ravens trying to cut out a turkey chick but again, never seen a vulture act in a predatory way at all. GD

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
We have both here all year long. A farmer friend of mine (now deceased) used to tell anyone that hunted on his farm tto shoot any buzzard they could. He had some buzzard traps that had a wire funnel leading to a wire enclosure. If a cow died he’d drag it in there and before your know it would be full of buzzards.
He lost many calves to them even as they were being born.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Black vultures are horrible around stock, if I had stock I’d shoot every one of them hanging around, with a high zoot air rifle if noise was a problem.

It ain’t like they are endangered, their breeding range extends clear down to Southern Argentina.

They mate for life and actually run in packs of related birds, when one drops down from the sky they all home in on that spot, they can even communicate carrion info at the roost site and follow the bird that knows where the next day.

My sister has 60 sheep on 20 acres in NY State, heritage breeds, sells to the specialty wool and meat market in Dutchess County. This past August when I was up there a group of Black Vultures landed in the brush behind her barn, prob’ly had nested back there.

She has a good heeler/Aussie mix that helps her with the sheep but I’d bet she’s gonna come out one day and find a mutilated lamb, live or dead.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Around here, they are just ugly birds, they clean up dead stuff.

That’s because all you have is TVs, which are fairly benign, Black vultures, not so much.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
We have a lot around here. More some years than others. I have never seen them to be predatory; certainly not to the extent that ravens can be. They get on a dead deer or elk pretty quickly but I've seen quite few domestic cattle carcasses which just lay there and were untouched by vultures or ravens or anything else. I've seen them on a dead newborn calf but it seemed likely the calf was dead before they touched it.
I have seen ravens wipe out a hatch of grouse chicks but have not seen vultures even try. I have seen ravens trying to cut out a turkey chick but again, never seen a vulture act in a predatory way at all. GD

If you’re too far north for black vultures, likely you don’t have a problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
The hunt club I was in for a few years west of Waycross Georgia has a thousand or more vultures that winter in it. I shot a doe one morning across the creek. Since I was going to have to walk back through another members stand to retrieve the deer I let it be for about an hour. By the time I got to the deer the vultures had eaten three quarters of the deer. On cold a nights the vultures will huddle together on the ground in groups of over a hundred in protected small clearings. I walked into a bunch in the dark once and it was crazy with all the vultures beating wings to get up. They don’t all run for the border.

Feast or famine for vultures, they’ve not fed captive birds for two weeks at a time with little apparent effect, turns out based on your observation they can gorge big time when they get the opportunity.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rong
just courious about TV,there seems to be alot more of them than I remember as a yute.
Why or is there a change to the numbers? Ugly bastids...

Roadkill and warm-period climate. Actually, studies have shown that in rural areas they eat more livestock and poultry farm offal than they do roadkill, maybe there’s more such big operations in NY now than there was.

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I stepped outside today. The wind was blowing about 20 mph and there were four vultures in the air. It's amazing how they can hold their own against the wind and navigate without flapping their wings hardly ever.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rendering plants have increased prices a lot! That may leave a lot of dead animals left for the buzzards?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Thousands show up in Miami every winter. Then suddenly, in the Spring, they are gone.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Plenty around here, along with Blacks. I read that the TVs are better at finding stuff to eat, but the BVs have stronger beaks and are better at getting into the carcasses.

A dead critter lying around here will attract both varieties of vulture, red-tailed hawks, and bald eagles. There’s a definite pecking (no pun intended) order at the buffet. I’ve seen vultures waiting while both the hawks and eagles fed. The eagles I get, but it looks pretty silly for the big-ass vultures, and not just one, to be waiting on a little red-tail to finish its meal.

Some years back, the vultures were a huge problem in the Frederick, MD area. They ate anything made of rubber, like boat covers, AC hoses, etc, and pooped all over everything. Homeowners installed spikes on their roof peaks to prevent them from roosting. I read at least one newspaper story about a farmer getting a permit to shoot the ones killing his ducks. Eventually, I think they moved off, but nearby Leesburg, VA had a smaller problem after that.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somewhere between 3 and 5 dozen roost in the neighbors trees each night all summer long. I do my best to feed them with dead rock chucks........

On a cold morning they will line up on a chain link fence with their wings half opened up soaking up the sunshine. They are a bird best observed from a distance.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They certainly are furtive, perpetual-motion creatures aren’t they.

There has been an explosion in turkey vultures up here including all the big raptors up to Bald Eagles. I attribute it to the almost exponential increase in livestock confinement’s and the inevitable several deceased corpses’ piled outside.

It’s a veritable buffet for those birds and coyotes. Bald eagles aren’t quite so regal perched atop a hog carcass. 😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdwatcher, so thats why I saw so many this weekend. I popped a couple of hogs in the mornings and they were on them quick.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
left some pizza on the counter, came back later and the buzzards had got it.

Last edited by stxhunter; 10/26/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We call the black headed vultures mexican buzzards and they're not welcome around here. If you harass buzzards on their roost they'll leave after 2 days and not come back for a year sometimes two. SSS

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.