Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've noticed that some days I can't shoot for schitt even with small cartridges, and that some days I have little-to-no recoil tolerance.

Originally Posted by mathman
As I've aged I've more frequently run into the some days are better than others phenomenon.

Guys that "EFFECT" or AFFECT shows up in more than shooting.

I've experienced it riding Enduro Trails, MX (motocross), and Hammering Nails... and other things too.

" Some days are diamonds, Some days are stone " ; our mental, physical, & emotional 'states' are not always the same.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B6

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
As I’ve aged, I’ve become more recoil sensitive. Still, I’m able to do what I’ve got to do. I’m shooting lighter rifles (T3x in 3006/270/270wsm) and find the recoil more noticeable than heavier rifles in the 338/300 mag range. While I’ve never noticed recoil hunting, I sure notice it working up loads in my 340/7STW. My compromise is I do load development with a benchmaster Cadillac rifle rest, then confirm poi over a bag with a light hold mimicking hunting conditions. I do this because I’ve found the bench master shoots and inch or two lower than free recoiling off a bag. My most uncomfortable guns? 3.5” turkey loads, and a 35whelen in a 7600 with a steel butt plate that sends 225GK at 2725. Back when my do everything rifle was a 340, I fought and won the mind over recoil battle. I still can shoot it sub moa, but it’s not as fun. I have learned that when I’m in a rough spot health wise and hurting (all too frequent these days), it’s not a good day to work on testing loads, even for the standard rounds. One funny thing: the docs have me on a heavy dose of blood thinners. I’ve gotten really funny reactions with the bruising in my shoulder that often leaks down into my upper arm....they think I must have been in a car accident. When I tell them I’ve been shooting, they look at me in disbelief:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before I discovered recoil pads my limit was somewhere below 300wm. With a good soft recoil pad I have no problem with the 300wm, and that is where I have topped out so I can’t say if I can go higher with no effect. Shot some stiff loads from my 45-70 too with no problem.

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 10/25/20.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My limit for reasonably decent shooting is in the neighborhood of a stout 30-06 load in a light sporter. My heavier 7mmRM, lighter 7mm SAUM, and downloaded 338WM are likely right in that zone. I keep a 99cent flip-flop in my range bag (sole only) and it’s handy as a thin “bonus pad” those times when a rifle feels punchy.

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
30-06 and down are enjoyable to shoot... no flinch.
Larger than that is generally a bad idea for me.... not so fun, and the flinch will probably show up.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can bench rest my 30-06 and put a dozen or so rounds downrange. With the unbraked 340 Weatherby I am only good for about three shots from the bench. So I'd say the truth lies in the middle

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My upper limit is 30-06ish. I used one for the past three years, hated every minute until I got a 6.5 Creed. I can accurately shoot the 30-06and scored on three deer, all one shot kills. My nephew wanted it and I let it go. He likes it so all is good. I really believe my lack of recoil tolerance was my early exposure to a 30-06, 7 Mag when I was 140 pounds soaking wet.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have several 300’s. They don’t bother me much to check zero, shoot deer or pigs. If I want to shoot a lot, I use something smaller.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
In sub 7lbs rifles, enjoyment usually stops to drop off around 270win with fast loads of 150gr bullets. As rifles weight increases, i find bigger cartridges are enjoyable to shoot. 8lbs is about rifle for a 300win Mag with 180gr bullets. I have no desire to shoot light guns in cartridges greater larger than a 30-06.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I think it’s as simple as some can and some can’t. 243 or 338 RUM, if they flinch, they’ll likely flinch with both. Recoil or simply target panic.

I often have to slow down and run some dryfires.
22lr is a great training tool.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As many posters here have stated previously the design and fit of the stock plays a significant role in how recoil is felt/tolerated. I once had a 6.5 lb 300 WSM that actually fit me well but the recoil was still snappy and muzzle tended to flip a lot. I could shoot it pretty well for 20 or so rounds but groups would suffer after that. The worst I ever shot was a 338 Win Mag with an ill-fitting stock and not enough heft - it was just miserable to shoot off the bench.

I notice that shooters of smaller stature tend to roll with the recoil better than bigger people do. I’m a decent sized guy at 6’4/270ish and I tend to stand my ground against recoil and probably feel it more than someone who is more easily displaced.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by strosfann
I notice that shooters of smaller stature tend to roll with the recoil better than bigger people do.

Astute observation. Can usually tell who is going to get their snot loosened at a shooting bench. If a shooter seems receptive, will suggest they get more vertical. Sometimes lower bench/chair. Sometimes elevate rests. Whatever gets them there. Anatomy and stock dimensions dictate head position. Sometimes eye relief of a particular scope/mount setup has too much to say about it. Will sometimes suggest "alterations", as is fundamental to the shotgunner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bench shooting skews peoples opinions about recoil from the magnums. Especially if they are only wearing a T Shirt on a hot summer day. Put on a padded carhart jacket and shoot only a few off the bench to check zero. Afterwards just hunt. Shooting at game standing or sitting you will never notice the recoil.

Last edited by UncleAlps; 10/26/20.

God Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Muzzle brakes also affect shooter's perception of recoil. The concussion feels very different than it does on non-braked rifles.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wearing electronic ear muffs is a lot easier than absorbing recoil from hard kickers...reducing the recoil to a 243 Win level for 7 Mags makes for some very accurate shooting.

From my experience, the less a rifle kicks, the more ALL shooters like to shoot that rifle! Take a 6.5 Creed and add a muzzle break, now you are approaching 223 recoil.....at least in their mind. Electronic ear muffs allow you to hear 5x what you would normally hear in the woods....a revelation to most on what they had been missing!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Focus and mind over matter:

450NE 3 1/4" 480gr softs & solids @ 2100 fps load testing off bench:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

340 Weatherby;

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/26/20.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sam_H
[quote=strosfann]I notice that shooters of smaller stature tend to roll with the recoil better than bigger people do.

Astute observation. Can usually tell who is going to get their snot loosened at a shooting bench.
If a shooter seems receptive, will suggest they get more vertical. Sometimes lower bench/chair. Sometimes elevate rests.

Anatomy and stock dimensions dictate head position.

Sometimes eye relief of a particular scope/mount setup has too much to say about it.
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-xx--

I posted ALONG this track earlier in this thread. Getting RELAXED and LOOSE before pulling trigger.

In another thread, don't remember when, I said that on Mags I LIKE 'higher' mounted scopes...NOT the normal "theorem"
I said it keeps me more vertical and less prone to get the Scarlet Crescent !

Here's 1 example of MY set up on Black Shadow, 300 W MAG.

ALSO contrary to another 'theorem' ... I've been shooting 3" high at 100 yds for A LONG time.

Between 100-----300 yds the higher scope does NOT affect trajectory. MIND you, I'm talking about HUNTING not
COMPETITION shooting.

humorously .... Don't Knock It Till You Try It.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Higher mounted scopes have worked to lessen felt recoil for me too Jerry.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I started with the 270 and went to others.

I have a 45-70 and like it better with 325 grain cast than factory.

The 338 lapua was not bad as well as the 30-378.

Thing is the noise from the brake was a turn off for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Higher mounted scopes have worked to lessen felt recoil for me too Jerry.

BINGO ! BINGO ! yep.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.