Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
As discussed in the Elk Hunting section, we lost our home in the East Troublesome fire. One question that comes up is how to replace tools. Like many people I had accumulated a lot of good tools over the years, but all different kinds, brands, etc. So, if you were starting from scratch, where would you start? Big sets? What brands? I haven’t really kept track of quality and origin in the different brands...years ago always bought Craftsman but not sure that is still the way to go. Also would appreciate thoughts on gun tools, especially screwdrivers.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about that. The idea of an entire set of new just doesn’t even seem right, I reckon it’s like old guns. Not sure what say about replacements, but whatever box I thought was big enough, I’d go bigger.

Good luck

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would go with Chapman for the gun screwdrivers and S-K for most of the ratchets/sockets.

Other tools could be from Channel lok or Kline.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For ratchet/socket sets, I think SK tools is a good value for made in USA given the offshoring of Craftsman tools if you want new. Don't know what your budget is. Will insurance cover any of the tool loss?

I have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive 6 pt socket sets by SK.

SK Tools Socket Sets - Amazon

There's always the used market. Can be hit and miss, but sometimes you can get large tool sets at estate sales and auctions.

You might also checkout Harry J. Epstein Co.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
China made of, course, the Crescent tools are all right.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Good insurance coverage

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll also plug the SK tools.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by riverdog
we lost our home in the East Troublesome fire.

Well that's a giant Suck! Sorry tohear.

If I was going to replace all my tools I would probably go with Cobalt for hand tools and straight up Milwaukee for the power tools.

How's the insurance company treating you?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wright sockets, Jake has a 3/4 set, just fine, USA made.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Reading your OP, I don't really get a sense of what your requirements are, (hobby, agriculture, industrial) or how long you need your toolsets to last. Having been a heavy equipment field mechanic for over 50 years, supplying my own tools and truck, if it's long term investment, you will find it's brands that serve the industry. In no particular order, Proto, Williams, SK Pro etc. Because I live and work rural, I generally went with Proto so I could get 24 hr delivery from Grainger.
Short term, say you're 60 yr old, for hobby, I'd go with Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, their upper end brands are not that bad for casual use.
Straight hobby tools, like gun stuff, you probably know more than I do.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd probably replace mechanics tools with Harbor Freight, Pittsburg brand, Lifetime guarantee, but at my age,I won't be wearing anything out. Screwdrivers for firearms I'd get a set of Wheelers.

Power tools,I guess it depends if you are looking commercial or home handyman. Battery or cord? I think anything Dewalt is way over priced. Anything Craftsman is junk today.Ryobi isn't too bad

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Powertools I really like the Milwaukee Fuel M12 & M18 lines.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't make a living with any of my tools. If I had to start replacing everything I would look at Tekton tools. They are a US owned company and 20% US made, 75% Taiwan made. In tool reviews on Youtube, the feelings are that more of their production is being brought back here as well. With all you are going through, tools are ne thing I wouldn't make too much fuss over. Good quality with a lifetime warranty will work for me. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that are using Harbor Freight tools but keep it on the down low.
I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I bought a set of pittsburg fully polished end wrenches the other day SAE and Metric. Noticed they fit looser on nuts than the same sizes craftsman wrenches. Won't matter for light home use but for real work tools I would buy better quality. My brother worked for a tool sales company for several years.
He said for his money he would buy Porter Cable power tools. They were rarely returned. He said Dewalt was the most returned tool they sold.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Noticed they fit looser on nuts than the same sizes craftsman wrenches.

I have two sets of Craftsman wrenches that are 20+ years old. From new, the 5/8" wrenches have been different sizes.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have been very impressed by the couple of Milwaukee tools I purchased within the last 1-2 years. M12 battery tools but hand tools as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One would need to be a serious mechanic to need a set of USA made tools. Just Googled USA sets and just don't see the price difference for a hobby user.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
+1 It’s this way with gunsmithing as well.. Industrial machines are a slightly different thing, but hand tools -no question

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/26/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call a few manufacturers.
I will bet one if the American manufacturers might cut you a good deal on a big replacement package.
It would certainly make a great PR piece.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would stay away from anything made in chiner, if at all possible. I have had far too many chinese made products fail and I have no confidence in virtually anything that's MIC (including tools).

My recommendation is to first make a list of everything you need. Then start looking for good used Made in America tools on flea-bay, at garage sales and at flea markets. Flea-bay should suffice for the majority of your needs. The pre- assembled tool kits often have crap products, a bunch of stuff you don't need and are lacking in other items you do need. Tools found in these kits are often of lower quality - ergonomics, durability and country of origin are important considerations. Perusing flea-bay will allow you to get exactly what you want and you can be assured that the tools you choose are made in America. I have assembled several tool chests/boxes this way. Yeah, it takes longer, but I'd rather have good quality tools that I choose than a bunch of crap that's barely useful.

Some tool brands I have had good luck with:

SK
Proto
old Stanley
Reed
NAPA/Carlyle (USA)
Blackhawk
Some American made Lisle tools
MAC
Snap-on
made in America Craftsman tools
Williams
Thorsen
Bonney
Matco
Wright

Electric tools are a different matter, but you usually can't go wrong with Milwaukee or Makita.

Nothing wrong with purchasing stuff like shop knives, hacksaws, blades and certain abrasives at Lowes, though.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/26/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.