24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Craftsman is now carried by Lowes, and even the guys that work there tell you they are crap.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. the once great Craftsman tool brand has been watered-down and manufacture has been moved offshore to chiner. The old American-made Craftsman is a much better bet, which you can easily find used.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Gearwrenches are a nice item.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Lotta good information here. Thanks everyone. Got to thinking I’m getting ahead of myself here. I don’t have anyplace to put any tools or work on anything

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by riverdog
Lotta good information here. Thanks everyone. Got to thinking I’m getting ahead of myself here. I don’t have anyplace to put any tools or work on anything

Nothing to stop you form starting to accumulate tools...

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/26/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When our buildings fell down, we used a pickup toolbox, a nonrunning Bronco, and the hose for our tools

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get started now. I've been accumulating tools for the past 30 years and I'm still not finished!

- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on S&K, then Proto, Snap-on. Don't buy cheap stuff you will regret it.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I deal with industrial contractors and maintenance teams daily. For electrical stuff they’re about 6:1 Milwaukee to other stuff. Some Dewalt. Miller welders.

For socket sets and wrenches they mostly use various flavors of imports because stuff tends to wander off on job sites.

Knipex pliers are a must have.

Lots of Klein screwdrivers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. the once great Craftsman tool brand has been watered-down and manufacture has been moved offshore to chiner. The old American-made Craftsman is a much better bet, which you can easily find used.

B&D or Stanley bought the name.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll also plug the SK tools.

SK is back in business and still producing first quality tools made in the US.

I have a 3/4 drive SK set that I am at least the 5th owner of. All of the owners names are on the box, and I knew the 2 before me.

5-6 years back I nooticed that they ratchet spring seemed sloppy and maybe a little iffy. Called SK and told them about the set. Told them how old it was. Told them that there had been a list of previous owners.
The factory rep asked for the number on the ratchet. I asked her what a new set of guts would cost. She told me, "No charge for parts/repairs/replacement for any broken or failed SK tool."

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I still like the Craftsman screwdrivers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If you live anywhere near a military base tool shop at the local pawn shops.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you’re on a budget , the Lowe’s brand has a lifetime warranty I believe and won’t break the bank.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would start now watching for quality used tools in excellent condition. Watch for name brands. Avoid Chinese.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Around here, Goodwill has one day a week they set out tools .Pennies on the dollar

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had more SK sockets fail than any other, but would still probably go that route for a basic socket/wrench set anyway, given the other options.

Would absolutely shop used, you can occasionally find someone selling a full box with tools and get a decent deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by High_Noon

B&D or Stanley bought the name.

They also purchased the Manufacturing facilities located right here in the US of A but chose profits over quality resulting in another great American company being ruint or worse.

Several of the Craftsman rolling tool chests are still made in America, and they seem to be decent quality - certainly not the quality of a Macsimizer, for example, but decent.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/26/20.

- Del Gue
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
If you live anywhere near a military base tool shop at the local pawn shops.

Winner right here. I have made my living with tools ( hand and electrical) and 90% have been bought at pawn shops. I’m not talking craftsman even though you can buy a broken screw driveR for .25 and drive straight to the store and exchange it. My stuff is snap on, Matco, blue point, fluke, amprobe. When I started my job 20yrs ago, we were a division of ingersoll-rand. They had a intranet page set up for everything from hand tools to air compressors to golf carts and bobcat brands. One guy bought his skid steer through work.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Far as power tools go, about any of the "Pro" brands(Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Metabo...) SHOULD last for years of homeowner use. Current load out on my job truck is M18 Fuel Mlwaukee cordless tools, 15 amp DeWalt circ saws and both Makita and Hilti rotary hammers with Hilti power actuated nailers.

Hard to go wrong with Estwing or Picard hammers. Ames(US made) shovels have always been high quality.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.