Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone here try one? The are made out of aluminum or carbon fiber. The aluminum model is pretty heavy but the carbon fiber model is only a pound lighter.

I don't think the head cents.

Any first hand experience?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I first saw one last year I had to have the carbon fiber one.......................
I found that it is just too heavy for most hunting applications unless you have someone volunteer to pack it for you or strap it to an ATV, I mostly use mine now for close to the truck prairie dog hunting. on the upside it is a very stable platform

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have one I take to ground blinds and the like for my kids to shoot off of. It’s no lightweight even with the carbon fiber legs. Doesn’t cant

But it works great for the kids, and I use it as well for shooting steel at 700 yards( farthest I can shoot right now property wise).

Is going to Ohio with me this gun season for ground blinds

It’s worth the money in my opinion if you have a need for a tripod

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one for open country coyote hunting plus I just bought the head and put it on a more compact tripod, both work great, the compact tripod has quick release head on it so I can swap in my spotting scope as needed.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 10/27/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do they weigh??

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300MAG
What do they weigh??

I think the carbon fiber model is 7.5 pounds and the aluminum model is 8.5

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My setup is 4 lbs, 4 ozs, but a tad more money than the DG:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice aalf. A tad ehhhh? whistle

Yeah, I am trying to decide if I want to go cheap. There seems to be quite a jump in price to the next level. What are you using?

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Setup is a Leofoto with a Hog Saddle top.

I think the tripod is this model:

https://leofoto.com/products_detail.php?id=227

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by aalf

Setup is a Leofoto with a Hog Saddle top.

I think the tripod is this model:

https://leofoto.com/products_detail.php?id=227

Hog sure looks to be a good unit. BOG reeks of commie.

BOG FAQs
All of the products we manufacture are forged, machined, assembled, and sewn in the United States of America. (Berry Compliant)

​The tripod and ball head brands we carry are not manufactured in the USA.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[quote=aalf]My setup is 4 lbs, 4 ozs, but a tad more money than the DG:
]/quote]

Forgot to ask you. Do you have any thoughts on the utility of a cradle/clamp vs a ball head w/ Arca rail? Obviously, most any rifle works in the clamp.

On a side note, outside of European made uber dollar units, it's tough to locate non-MIC tripod heads or legs. I think I have found a possible MI Hong Kong, LOL. If anyone has any recent interesting finds from any non-coms please share.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For hunting I use one of these:

https://triclawps.com/collections/all

and Slik 340DX legs. The setup is strong and fairly light.

For competition I use Slik 700DX legs and a leveling base with QR Arca adapter. The Arca setup is more stable and compact than the cradle, but also less versatile (rifle needs Arca rail on the stock/chassis). If your hunting rifle has an Arca rail near the front action screw, then that setup is pretty awesome, but the cradle is pretty darn stable as well. I use the cradle and smaller tripod legs for hunting because not all the rifles I hunt with have Arca rails (most don't), and the setup is lighter and more portable with the smaller legs, but still plenty strong for sporter-weight rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by aalf
My setup is 4 lbs, 4 ozs, but a tad more money than the DG:

Forgot to ask you. Do you have any thoughts on the utility of a cradle/clamp vs a ball head w/ Arca rail? Obviously, most any rifle works in the clamp.

Jordan answered it pretty well, but I'll add a little......

A buddy and I did some farting around trying different things, mostly by testing deflection on a target at distance.

An arca rail with a leveling base is about the most stable with the least deflection. The downside is having to attach a rail to your stock, or multiple stocks, and depending on where it's bolted, can be in the way for carrying.

Not far behind, is the tripod with a leveling base, with the hog saddle on top. The leveling base will cover most "normal" situations for angles up & down. Most of the deflection comes from the rubber padding in the saddle. Really a non event in a hunting scenario.

My setup in the picture has the most deflection, but again, it's really a non event for hunting. Mine isn't tall enough to use standing, but I didn't want that anyway, as I bought it mainly for calling coyotes. I set the ballhead friction so the gun stays in place, but can still be easily moved in any/all directions to take a shot. I still have a habit of tightening the ballhead just when a coyote stops before taking the shot. Typically I have the gun pretty snug in the saddle, and pulled in tight with the right hand, and the left on the friction knob for quick adjustment if needed for a followup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

I've played with all sorts of setups, including ball heads, leveling bases, etc, and the Arca setup with leveling base is the best I've found for pure stability. But the cradle/leveling base is very good too and is more adaptable. I do the same as aalf with regards to tensioning the base so that the rifle will stay in place but can still be moved without excessive effort. The only other thing I would add is that I use my support hand to pull the base/cradle in towards me with the rifle mounted on top, as that tends to dampen any vibrations or instability that come from an imperfect position.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks Jordon and aalf. Information is golden!

I'd not seen the leveling bases. Have looked at some bowl type units but then you'd not have an adjustable center column.

I bought some hardware to (try to) replicate a HOG Saddle but so far it's sitting there awaiting further inspiration...

If the HOG is too cheap, there's the RRS.VYCE.
https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/VYCE-Equipment-Support-Mount

Note: Triclawps Jordon mentioned is US made.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I also have two larger Innoral tripods for shooting off of, and they have bowl adapters that you use as a leveling base, with the adjustment handle on the bottom.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/INNOREL-Professional-Birdwatching-44pounds-Adapter/dp/B07JYZW9RF

Physical weight is your friend, as long as you don't have to pack it...... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And if you want US-made tripod legs, you should be prepared to pay, but RRS is GOOD stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Talking strictly hunting here.

So a leveling base with a cradle cannot be adjusted for cant like a ball mount with a cradle? That seems like a must have feature, no?

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/03/26/shooting-rest-hog-saddle-review/

Doug has these on sale:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-on-sale-lowest-prices-ever#Post15319862

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
"So a leveling base with a cradle cannot be adjusted for cant like a ball mount with a cradle?"

Seems to me that the leveling bases go to like 15-17 degrees in all directions?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
"So a leveling base with a cradle cannot be adjusted for cant like a ball mount with a cradle?"

Seems to me that the leveling bases go to like 15-17 degrees in all directions?

Yes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.