Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I retired and moved to the country last year. I have a long gravel driveway and I fought the snow best I could with a snowblower last winter but I’m ready to say hell with that and get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range.

I don’t live in a very populated area and there’s only two tractor dealerships close by - one’s a Kubota, the other’s John Deere. Any advice on these two?

BP-B2

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Test drive them, see which you like better. For me, the forward/reverse controls on the JD were more comfortable for my size 14 feet and long legs; the Kubota was even more cramped for space than the Deere. In quire from other buyers about the quality of service from each dealer.

Dale

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Look around for an older John Deere 4400 or an 855/955.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by McInnis
I retired and moved to the country last year. I have a long gravel driveway and I fought the snow best I could with a snowblower last winter but I’m ready to say hell with that and get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range.

I don’t live in a very populated area and there’s only two tractor dealerships close by - one’s a Kubota, the other’s John Deere. Any advice on these two?

Id lean Kubota .but a John Deere great but you will pay greatly

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I own a John Deere 4310. Get a Kubota. The yanmar power plant in the JD is bullet proof. Too bad it’s the only thing that is. Blown lift cylinder, transmission shifter issues, wheel hub.... hydraulics aren’t smooth. Never again. As someone above said, kubotas operator ergonomics are a little funky. Guessing they’re designed more for a 115lb 5’3” guy though!

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/27/20.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Similar situation. Somewhat long steep gravel driveway.

Used a 4 wheeler with a plow a few years, works fairly well unless you get multiple big snows, then it piles up.

Bought a John Deere 3032e with a front end loader. Upgraded from 5 ft rear blade to a 6 ft rear blade. When the blade is turned to the sides its just a bit wider than tractor. Beet juice in the rear tires and rear chains both make a big difference. Rear blade works well for snow

Front end loader helps when snow gets too deep to move it where you want it.

Also works well for gravel.

For light snows 4 wheeler is faster, but overall tractor is so much more useful.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much land do you have?
For really big storms when our trucks got overwhelmed we used to lease a loader usually with a backhoe.
If you think you might have other projects come up, you may want to consider something that could handle a modular backhoe attachment.
Or a modular post hole attachment..
Etc

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Both good brands, compare price, dealers and features. Both brands make lemons. Lots of good used ones out there too.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/27/20.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I made the jump from a literal lawn tractor to a subcompact utility tractor this past spring. I went to a JD 1-series. I don't have a ton of land, but a SCUT made sense for the things I do need to do. 250' of driveway...snowblower works, but takes forever and I hate it.

1.5 acres of woods, leaves in the yard, to be chopped up, mulch to spread, brush to keep pushed back...so on and so forth.

I looked at orange and green.

Pricing things out, I found the JD to actually be a hair cheaper. What actually made the choice for me is the local Kubota dealer was more annoyed to have to get up and talk to a customer than anything. The JD dealer actually wanted to make a sale. Thus the decision was made.

Could have easily gone the other way. Yeah, the 'Bota treadle pedal is weird, but learnable. I didn't think much of it, but my lawn tractor is a Husqvarna which has a similar style pedal arrangement.

60 hrs on it so far, and I love my JD 1025. Ask me in 10 years if I still do... lol.

One big plus for Kubota...no RIO switch. The JD RIO is easily (and reversibly) able to be bypassed. The Kubota simply didn't have it, which is a good thing, IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Mahindra is a year old and needs to go back in for the second time for several warranty issues.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 25 year old Kubota L2500DT. Tough little tractor.

I know things have changed in regard to quality across all manufacturers, but I’d still vote Kubota. They hold their value extremely well. Plus, I can still get virtually any OEM part I need after 25 years.

If I were to buy new I would get an L3301 with hydrostatic transmission, R4 tires and a quick attach for the front loader.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Kubota BX2670. Pretty much trouble free in a warm weather locale, dunno about up north. 550 hours...change the oil and move on.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Kubota

Whatever size you’re thinking of get a bigger one

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
John Deere Model 990. 40hp.

It’s a heck of a machine compared to the Massey 210 I used to have.

Bought it with 300hrs on it, came with 6’ Bush hog, 6 1/2’ disc and 7’ grader box.

Those 6 iron weights up front are mandatory.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Kubota

Whatever size you’re thinking of get a bigger one

Truth .

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My Mahindra is a year old and needs to go back in for the second time for several warranty issues.

Little issues or what?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Local dealer support!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Local dealer support!

Very big issue.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a 2018 Branson 3725 last year. Had 88 hours on it. It has been a great tractor. I use primarily for the sawmill, loading logs and moving stacks of lumber.

They are Korean built, very easy to work in and a lot less money than Kubota. Mine has the hydrostatic drive.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go kubota.

That being said our little 22horse massey has been great. 6 years of torture on 80 acres and only been in shop once.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
416 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.