Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've always thought that a windstop hunting jacket or sweater would allow me to hunt with a less bulky coat. Has anyone used this type garment and what was your thoughts.

I realize that there is a threshold where it would get cold enough for this not to work. but I'm wondering about the 30^ to 40 is range.

Also suggestions for where to buy and brand.

I have drawn a hunt just south of the Panhandle in Texas for Mule deer that will be on Dec. 7-11.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
BP-B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Absolutely. No matter where I hunt a light wind proof golf pull over is in my layering. No weight to it, no restriction to my movements.
Even in northern MN here and like environments of super cold it makes a huge difference.

Osky

The best I ever had as far as warmth was a wind shear sweater made/labeled by Remington long ago. Sadly I wore it out. I replaced it 15 years ago with another wool wind shear pullover that’s good but a bit scratchy around the collar. Not as nice of wool as the Remington had.

Last edited by Osky; 10/28/20.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a light one, and it works.
Got it for bowhunting.
Not as quiet as I hoped.

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye
I have a light one, and it works.
Got it for bowhunting.
Not as quiet as I hoped.

I was wondering if the windstop was too noisy for bow hunting.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a very inexpensive one I bought from MidwayUSA with exactly the same idea and it has worked well.

One consideration to keep in mind that’s tough to know when shopping online is the noisiness of the fabric which has been an issue for me w/ rain jackets in the past.

The one I have is several years old and a solid color rather than camo but similar to this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939148725

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve got a cheap Magellan / academy shirt.

Check academy out if you got one close.

The one i have is wind / water resistant. Though i wouldn’t want to in a storm with just that.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a very thin Whitewater Outdoors jacket with windstopper. It is surprisingly warm for its lack of bulk.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bought a woolen mix pullover from Cabelas with windstopper material in it years ag. Great article of clothing but probably would be a bit heavy for me where and when you are describing.

Have a lightweight jacket from cabelas also with windstopper that is good. Exterior is similar to a fleece so it is very quiet.

Unfortunately, cabelas stuff has gone down the crapper in the last 5+ years. But I am sure there are other brands that would fill the need.

I would look for a fleece jacket or pullover (your preference) with windstopper. I just searched and came up with a ton of results. If it is fleece exterior, it should be plenty quiet. Brands that I use these days include arcteryx, marmot, mammut, kuhl, sitka and kuiu. Wife sometimes slips a patagonia into the house against my wishes but they do make decent stuff.

Good luck

Montana MOFO
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Windpro fleece is the best combo of wind protection, quiet, and breathable in my opinion. Have tried windproof membranes and found them no good for active hunting. Sitting in a stand maybe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.