Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

For me twice -

Once a fork horn followed me hit his tongue hanging out after I spent the morning with a girlfriend, IIRC I had put on Jovan Musk.. apparently he thought I was a doe.
Goofy SOB followed me for almost 1/2 a mile just far enough back that I couldn’t see him most the time, but if I stopped he walked up close enough to see him. That was some creepy stuff after a while.

Second one I shot a doe that was very apparently in heat, and a 4 point would NOT leave... I was dragging her on a cart and the SOB kept within 30 yards the entire time. I was getting worried, so got the truck and brought it to the edge of the woods, and good old Randy was right there when I pulled up... I flipped her in the bed of the truck, left the cart there and took her to another part of the property to field dress her. Held a loaded gun the entire time in case the goofball jumped me.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doe and two button bucks walked right up to the truck and started feeding on poison oak berries last Sunday.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Back in 2001, I'd just acquired our 200 acre farm. It was mid-October in late afternoon. I was coming out from a scouting trip, walking on the old road that bisects our property. I was walking through fresh leaves, when I heard something walking behind me. I stopped and turned. There was a 6 point buck following me about 30 yards back. He was staring right at me.

"Well hello there!" I said.

The buck hesitated a bit, but kept coming. I realized something was up, so I made myself as big as possible and told him to "Shoo!" That didn't work for a second or two, so I finally started walking towards him menacingly. That did the trick; he bolted down the road a ways and then stopped like he was having second thoughts. I told him to keep going. That is when he decided to finally leave.

I could never figure out if this guy was being amorous or aggressive or both. He seemed like he had a spell on him, and I have no idea what would have happened if he had gotten closer.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes only once that I know.

On one of my deer hunts in Alabama 83 -85 (?) I had bought a bottle of
"Alpine " cover scent ( laugh )

As I still hunted thru the woods a deer BLEW, didn't know 1 st time it WAS blowing AT ME,
A minute or so it blew AGAIN.... I'm moving slowly.

A minute or so it blew AGAIN.... ^^^^^^ . This was repeated a few Xs.

Well I figured out it was following me and blowing AT my Alpine "cover" scent. grin
Up to then I hadn't seen the deer to know what it was, Doe or Buck .

****Credit to Gun (Hunting) Writers**** I had read about doing a fish hook maneuver, never tried before.
So I simply moved to my left (East) and then back left again (North), surprise! surprise! as Gomer would say laugh .
It was a Doe following my STRANGE scent IN Alabama.

Funny, Entertaining, Educational > never used it again ! shocked

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Not followed by one, but one magical evening, shortly after legal shooting hours, but still light enough to see, I climbed up from the creek bottom where I'd been bowhunting, into an apple orchard, and found myself surrounded by deer, some nearly close enough to touch. They acted as though I wasn't even there. It was raining lightly, so maybe that suppressed my scent. That was over 30 years ago, but I'll never forget it.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was hunting an especially large buck that had every subordinate buck in the area kicked back a ridge or two. That deer was completely nocturnal and twice that week he made a fresh rub on a tree a few yards from were I had been posted that day. It sure made me think that I wasn't as stealthy as I thought I was.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It was late morning and I had just missed a large buck. Being pissed off, I decided to move my stand to another section of woods on the farm. As I stood there looking for an appropriate tree, I heard something walking towards me. I looked and there was a small doe looking and walking directly towards me. It was the weirdest thing ever. I was in one of those moods and shot it at 10 yards. It turned out that the farmer's pet deer got loose a few weeks earlier and no one told me. Doug said that she wanted me to feed her. I told Doug, unfortunately I fed her some lead. I offered him the meat, but he said his wife would kill him if he brought it home. It was some of the best venison I've ever had.

One morning in the pitch black dark, my buddy dropped me off with his 4 wheeler at the end of a corn field. He went one way, and I walked the other about another 1/4 mile. After he drove away, a Bobcat started to follow me. He was only about 25 yards away in the woods and kept screaming loud as schit. I couldn't see him and I was trapped between the woods and the standing corn. He followed me all of the way to my tree stand. It made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
He was hon'gry ! lol

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I once shot a Roe buck in Northumberland (UK) and when I had dragged it back to the vehicle, I turned and saw a doe two fields away, coming towards me. I then noticed it had it's nose to the ground and was following my exact trail - and fast - just like a bloodhound.

She must have covered 400-500 yards, and got to within 100 yards of where I was standing, before she saw me and stopped.
She only ran off when I got into the vehicle.

It was quite eery to feel that I was being hunted.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A F

I'd suspect that the Doe was trailing the buck that you were dragging ?? Make sense ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was doing a dragline to and from the stand. On the way out I noticed a deer was shadowing me. Never could get a look of the head to see how big he was. I could tell he was a buck by his build.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yes, several times, and that's the reason instead of walking straight to my stand as I always had I started walking a little ways past and out from it then angle back to my stand.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Only by a knothead, I swear that joker followed me back to the truck and stood there and watched me load his mama up in the back. I actually felt bad for a minute.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Was doing a dragline to and from the stand. On the way out I noticed a deer was shadowing me. Never could get a look of the head to see how big he was. I could tell he was a buck by his build.

I did a dragline once and as soon as I got up in the stand, a dang 8 pt buck had his nose in it coming to me. Talk about good timing, I guess he heard me walking and decided to check things out along with the scent. About a 15 minute hunt.

Last edited by killerv; 10/30/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not while I was hunting, no. While working on the lawn at home, yes. The suburban Bambis around me are very used to people and curious about our activities.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Every time I drag one.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah,Every afternoon about 4o'clock [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Elk hunting one time and was standing on the trail and in front of me about 200' was a little forked horn. We looked at each other for a short while and he starts walking toward me about 20 or 30' than stop and look at me. i stood motionless until the buck came up and sniffed my pants and then started feeding along side me. This went on for another couple min. until I decided I had enough and started walking off. The buck picked up his head and turned and started following me about 10' behind me. He did this for about 1/4 mile and I stopped and looked at him and then he just stepped off the trail and wondered into the brush.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was followed once by a Caribou in Newfoundland who was just 10 yards behind me. Years ago while hunting in the Adirondacks, I saw another hunter walking thru the woods and figured that would screw up my hunting for awhile but about a minute later a young buck came thru following him.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My dogs and I take walk around my lake, which is surrounded by woods, every afternoon. In the late summer, after the whitetail fawns are dropped, it is not usual for one of the mammas to follow us to make sure we are not after her little ones. My dogs used to run the mommas off, but now they just run a few steps and bark. Must have had a new momma this summer she would run back and forth blowing till we got out of her area.

Michael

Last edited by mag410; 10/30/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.