Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Anyone have any experience with the nitrofire? Just wanted to know if anyone had any reviews.

What’s better than a big buck......????
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Kind of curious myself.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Better check state regulations because its not legal in Missouri as the regs are currently written. Its also classified as a CF rifle so it has to go through a FFL. When you add up the cost per shot why not just get a 45/70 break action converted to a ML. Shoot for much less per shot and get much better speed. For about $600 or less you can get a CVA 45/70 converted. It will smoke that $500+ nitro thing to hell and back.

sun Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A couple of people on Facebook haven't shot theirs yet but will soon.
One bought it at Walmart and when he brought it home it wouldn't set off the primer.
Traditions issued a shipping label, fixed it and returned it right away in time for hunting season.
He received it and tested primers in it at home and now they ignite fine.

Last edited by sun; 10/27/20.
R
R
The whole thing just sounds like a bad idea. Requires a 4473 and you are locked into an expensive (~$3) per powder charge that is at this point single source non reloadable. This has all the signs of being an abandoned by the manufacturer $500 paperweight in 3 years.
Never mind that more than a few states will likely classify it as not a muzzleloader.
$500ish is getting into nice premium inline territory. I think your better served elsewhere.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Better check state regulations because its not legal in Missouri as the regs are currently written. Its also classified as a CF rifle so it has to go through a FFL. When you add up the cost per shot why not just get a 45/70 break action converted to a ML. Shoot for much less per shot and get much better speed. For about $600 or less you can get a CVA 45/70 converted. It will smoke that $500+ nitro thing to hell and back.

Not trying to argue because it doesn't interest me in the least but what would make it illegal in Mo?

Are you talking illegal in regular firearms season or just our alternative season?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/28/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Read the regulations.
Prohibited
Any rifle capable of being loaded by any means other than the muzzle

It would be legal during the firearms portion but not during the alternative portion.

sun Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
One guy on Facebook firedt his new Nitrofire and said:

"shoots like a dream. Very tight groups off hand too."

"This shoots and groups!! No hesitation between tigger pull and actually firing. Tigger pull, I would say is maybe 4lbs, has some creep but man this this is nice, shot it 15 times yesterday, no misfire primers anymore."

The name of the group page is "Modern Muzzleloader" for anyone who wants to join.

This page has the map of states where it's legal to use during muzzleloading season. --->>> https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/nitrofire/

Last edited by sun; 10/29/20.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Read the regulations.
Prohibited

It would be legal during the firearms portion but not during the alternative portion.

Inlines with removable breech plugs are illegal during ML season too? You're only allowed sidelocks?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Maybe I shouldn't say anything because my flintlock is made of stainless and plastic, and it gives true traditionalists the fits, but this is really pushing the boundaries of what defines a "muzzleloader".

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You still have to push the bullet down the muzzle with a ramrod, so I would still consider a Nitrofire a muzzleloader.

If I really wanted, I could load an inline from the breech.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing against it, but not interested. Don’t see any real attraction except a bit of convenience. If it doesn’t catch on, it’ll be an orphan. OTOH, $500 ain't a fortune, so if it tickles your innards, have at it. If the industry players want this to succeed, others will need to be allowed in the pool. The 4473 requirement will turn off a lot of people and kill online sales.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If it was a 52 caliber it would be complete!
Actually I agree with Pappy, If it tickles you and it's legal, go for it.
I'd rather not be captive to one makers supporting their system or lack of support but that's just me, have fun!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
Read the regulations.
Prohibited

Inlines with removable breech plugs are illegal during ML season too? You're only allowed sidelocks?

Where would you get that idea? The MDC pamphlets clearly state that inlines are legal for numerous ML only hunts. Reading is fundamental. All you have to do is go there and read them if you want to know. Why some moron would want to unscrew a breech plug and take 5 times as long to load his inline is rather dumb to suggest as an option. The regs dont say "can only load projectile through the muzzle". So the only thing we can assume is both the bullet and powder must be until they clarify or allow the NitroThingaMabob.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It addresses a problem that doesn’t exist where I live. I’m not even sure what problem it is that they’re trying to address? Leaving the powder charge against the bare steel possibly? I’ve left a powder charge in the barrel for a month with no ill effects? Mind you, I do not live in an area that is particularly damp in the fall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being able to remove the powder charge and push the bullet out the muzzle, or not, would be a convenience, but won’t make me buy into a system with only one source for propellent when other MLs can use a wide selection of powders, and often as with my Knight, ignition types. Once a year ML shooters may love it.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BtailHunter
Read the regulations.
Prohibited

Where would you get that idea? The MDC pamphlets clearly state that inlines are legal for numerous ML only hunts. Reading is fundamental. All you have to do is go there and read them if you want to know. Why some moron would want to unscrew a breech plug and take 5 times as long to load his inline is rather dumb to suggest as an option. The regs dont say "can only load projectile through the muzzle". So the only thing we can assume is both the bullet and powder must be until they clarify or allow the NitroThingaMabob.

It was a rhetorical question you idiot. It doesn't matter if some moron, read you, would want to unscrew a breech plug or not, it's that fact that it can be done.

Again, loading powder via the removed breech plug, or via the Nitro stick, what's the difference?

If you have someone in your household that has critical thinking skills, put them on.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by akaSawDoctor
It addresses a problem that doesn’t exist where I live. I’m not even sure what problem it is that they’re trying to address? Leaving the powder charge against the bare steel possibly? I’ve left a powder charge in the barrel for a month with no ill effects? Mind you, I do not live in an area that is particularly damp in the fall.

I killed a buck last week using my 50 cal that was still loaded from last years ML hunt. So it sat in the rifle for over a year.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Again, loading powder via the removed breech plug, or via the Nitro stick, what's the difference?

Probably over a minute...obviously. confused And depending on the brand such as most Knight rifles much longer plus the need for tools to do it.

Hey Gomer hand me that thar wrench so i can reload and take another shot 5min later. Yeah thats a winning idea for sure. crazy

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I think it’s a good concept. I believe they missed their mark by not making it smokeless. I have an Encore muzzleloader that used this same principal. I push the bullet down from the muzzle but charge it from the breech with a 358 Winchester case. I use smokeless powder. It’s waterproof, cleaning isn’t anymore necessary than it is with my centerfire rifles, and it cost me the price of some powder and a large rifle primer to reload it. It’s a very nice set up and I think the traditions set up will catch on. I think what hurts it is the price of the firesticks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.